Amazon, Web Sales Taxes Coming to Florida

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Florida Gov. Rick Scott announced on Friday that Amazon will be setting up shop in the Sunshine State. Amazon distribution centers will add 3k jobs for Florida and generate about $300M in revenue. That is the good news. The bad news is since Amazon is anchored in the state, Floridians will now be paying online sales tax for purchases from Amazon.

The lack of a sales tax on Internet purchases has long been a tremendous competitive advantage for Amazon, and a prime aggravation for bricks-and-mortar retailers who howl that it makes it more difficult to compete.

This is probably buying the state's representatives so avoid a broader national sales tax. Thanks for taking one for the team Florida.

This is probably buying the state's representatives so avoid a broader national sales tax. Thanks for taking one for the team Florida.

This

Good on ya my neighboring state of the sun. Us Georgians appreciate it! :)

Rick Scott has been the worst Governor Florida has ever had.

Charlie Crist did a better job as our (gay) Republican Governor, even Jeb Bush was better than this ass clown. I like how they don't report on the countless jobs this clown has cost the state.

Oh and this doesn't matter anyways. Obama is going to pass that internet sales tax bill. We're all screwed anyway so just do your big item shopping now.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
oooooooooooooooooooo
ooooooooooooo
ooooooooo
oooooo

I order thousands from them...... God dammit....

Yeah it doesn't really matter, the federal tax goes into effect in October anyway. Oh well, I enjoyed my tax free days while it lasted :/

Hey they have to pay that $636 billion dollar defense fund somehow. Why not just make it an even $666B?

I don't really have an issue with the tax so much as that it goes into a black fucking hole of wasteful spending.

Rick Scott has been the worst Governor Florida has ever had.

Charlie Crist did a better job as our (gay) Republican Governor, even Jeb Bush was better than this ass clown. I like how they don't report on the countless jobs this clown has cost the state.

I agree sir.

As for the tax. I'll pay it. Why cause I have 5 TigerDirects within 10 miles of me, one of them 2 miles.
Newegg is still not here so I'm good.

welcome to the future

Minn. tax coming on digital books, ringtones
June 13, 2013

ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) -- Need that new Justin Bieber ringtone? Come July 1, buying it will carry a Minnesota sales tax.

Prewritten computer software will be considered taxable, but custom programs will not.

Some consumers will pay more. Digital downloads -- from books to e-greeting cards to movies and songs -- will be subject to the 6.875 percent sales tax.

http://minnesota.publicradio.org/di...cs/minn-tax-coming-on-digital-books-ringtones

Hey they have to pay that $636 billion dollar defense fund somehow. Why not just make it an even $666B?

I don't really have an issue with the tax so much as that it goes into a black fucking hole of wasteful spending.
You could eliminate all defense spending and it wouldn't balance the budget. The major portion of waste isn't connected to defense spending.

You could eliminate all defense spending and it wouldn't balance the budget. The major portion of waste isn't connected to defense spending.

Then we would all be speaking chinese... or russian... maybe even korean o_O

Out of curiosity, did Amazon pull their distribution centers out of Nevada? I used to have packages come from Sparks, NV (etc.). But never do anymore. Plus, I've never been charged tax.

I know they threatened it at one point when asked for taxes.

Oh and this doesn't matter anyways. Obama is going to pass that internet sales tax bill. We're all screwed anyway so just do your big item shopping now.

What makes you so certain that the Republican-dominated House of Representatives will pass that Internet sales tax bill?

Well we all knew our shitty Government would find a way to weasel in taxes on this shit long ago. Seems they finally got it through.

Sucks. But if there is a success form of economic transactions then the US government will find a way to fuck it up with a broken tax structure. Time to write some new tax law books on how to fuck things up.

Well we all knew our shitty Government would find a way to weasel in taxes on this shit long ago. Seems they finally got it through.

Sucks. But if there is a success form of economic transactions then the US government will find a way to fuck it up with a broken tax structure. Time to write some new tax law books on how to fuck things up.

Well the point of the holiday from taxes was so that nascent online retailers could get a foothold among consumers. Do you think that's happened? Then it's time to eliminate the tax break. I only wish it were that easy to get rid of all such breaks when they become unnecessary. Oil exploration comes to mind.

Well the point of the holiday from taxes was so that nascent online retailers could get a foothold among consumers. Do you think that's happened? Then it's time to eliminate the tax break. I only wish it were that easy to get rid of all such breaks when they become unnecessary. Oil exploration comes to mind.

Oil exploration is far from unnecessary, unless you think driving your car on solar or wind power is feasible. And I thought the point of the Internet Tax Freedom Act was "to promote and preserve the commercial, educational, and informational potential of the Internet," something that should never have an expiration date and thus is never unnecessary. What to me should be unnecessary is a bloated government whose voracious avarice is unrestrained. Imposing a sales tax on online retailers in states in which those retailers have no physical presence would simply be contrary to both the spirit and the letter of the Internet Tax Freedom Act and detrimental to the economy at large.

Back