Nielsen Gets Digital to Track Online TV Viewers

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to the Wall Street Journal, Nielsen is expected to announce a tool today that tracks digital audiences. Welcome to the 21st century Nielsen, it took you long enough to get here. :D

Nielsen has been under pressure from the networks to update its traditional methods for counting TV viewing to account for growing digital audiences. Media companies want to make sure they get full credit with advertisers for online viewing. The technology in the Nielsen pilot program is step forward in that direction, but won't provide everything media companies are looking for. It will track viewing of TV content on computers but not on tablets and smartphones.

When will it track downloaded episodes?

Downloaded episodes don't contain ads so they don't affect the advertising numbers ... the studios already know exactly how many downloads occur since they get paid for each one ;)

Downloaded episodes don't contain ads so they don't affect the advertising numbers ... the studios already know exactly how many downloads occur since they get paid for each one ;)

Obviously they don't generate cash revenue from the ads, but they do indicate a level of popularity, and a demand for greater consumption of the media.

Well, that would have been beneficial a decade ago. Too many awesome shows have been canceled due to low numbers, but finding that there were a LOT of viewers online....

They are also calling random households and asking the household member with the most recent birthday to do online surveys about internet use (internet shopping, news, downloading, etc). I got picked and figured I would do it for the $10. It turns out to be quite a comprehensive survey. It took me over an hour to complete it.

Back