Google Just Fixed the Worst Part About Microsoft Office

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Google announced on Friday that with the latest version of Chrome Beta, users will be able to open Microsoft Office files from within Google Chrome, saving time from slow opening Office files and minimizing the threat of malware attacks.

In order to use the new feature, you must install and run the latest Chrome Beta and Chrome Office Viewer extension.

I've never had an issue with opening office files or office opening. Opens in less than 1 or 2 seconds.

I have a fast SSD drive, and office files open faster than I can fully release my mouse click... da fug?

"Opening up a Microsoft Office file is a painfully slow process." lolwut

This must be one of those "Create a solution and then invent a problem for it" scenarios.

Apparently none of the people that posted above me have ever used the average workstation PC at a normal business.

Apparently none of the people that posted above me have ever used the average workstation PC at a normal business.
Or have.

Yeah, if I have Office at home with a FASTAR PC, reopening Word or Excel or PowerPoint takes the blink of an eye. The first launch takes seconds. At work, reopening Office apps on an old dual core system takes 2 or 3 seconds, with the first launch taking several more seconds. That's my experience and it's more than acceptable.

The security part is still worthwhile to address though. Instead of having PerformanceZapper-- AV-- WebSecurity-- Deluxe-- treat everything like arosoled anthrax and slowing the PC to a crawl while is scans, a "safe" viewer which opens instantly could be handy if no editing is needed. It is kind of silly on the face of it to open an Office app to view an already created document, especially if it comes from somewhere else.

At work, reopening Office apps on an old dual core system takes 2 or 3 seconds, with the first launch taking several more seconds. That's my experience and it's more than acceptable.

Just tried opening an Excel file on my work laptop (and not like a big one or anything). 20 seconds first time, 5-7 seconds subsequent times. This thing has a Pentium M and 1GB of DDR. More RAM might help (assuming this thing can even take more RAM...), but to be honest I'm already reasonably happy with how it performs compared to before I removed all the Hello Kitties, bloatware, and toolbars my boss installed on it. >_<

They cant even make their own office docs presentations work fast how can they do it with MS?

Anyone who installs Chrome knows the effect it has on Office products...it's causes all kinds of problems. It breaks outlook functionality (link operation, etc...) it makes office apps unstable, etc... and worst of all, the registry has to be cleaned almost google line by google line to make office work again.

In short, chrome causes problems with MS apps just so people think chrome apps work better, which they do not, on a non-chrome-molested computer.

I think google should be sued in a class action suit just because of this bullshit.

Anyone who installs Chrome knows the effect it has on Office products...it's causes all kinds of problems. It breaks outlook functionality (link operation, etc...) it makes office apps unstable, etc... and worst of all, the registry has to be cleaned almost google line by google line to make office work again.

In short, chrome causes problems with MS apps just so people think chrome apps work better, which they do not, on a non-chrome-molested computer.

I think google should be sued in a class action suit just because of this bullshit.

What version of chrome and what version of office? I've had no issues on three different workstations at work and also at home.

Lul Wut???

I use Chrome and everything operates exactly as it die before Chrome. After installing Office 2013, my computers opened Office programs faster than they did Office2010.

LOL

I think your issues are beyond Chrome and Office. Maybe you need to move back to an Etch a Sketch.

Really? Never had a problem here.

Office 2010 & 2013 x64 open very quickly for me... not sure what Google is "fixing" in my instance.

Thanks google, saving people from yet another non-existent problem. Yay for innovation!

I have a fast SSD drive, and office files open faster than I can fully release my mouse click... da fug?

This may come as a surprise, but not everyone in the world is you :eek: Amazing I know :D

I just opened LibreOffice on my PC and it took about 8-10 seconds, no idea how long MS Office would take, I have a key for 2010 somewhere but I was lazy and couldn't be bothered finding it so installed Libre instead.

That is on my secondary HDD though, not my SSD, I only install things I use frequently on my SSD and I only use Office, like, less than once a week.

I know what you are talking about. it turns files associations for html files (shtml, xhtml etc) into "Chromehtml" in the part of the registry and causes links to not open properly in office products. have to go in the registry and change back to just "htmlfile"

From my experience it only does that in the version of Chrome that is installed during an adobe flash update. Which would explain why most users here would not have seen it. It's more of something you encounter troubleshooting for regular end users who install every add-on for every piece of software they install.

I use Chrome and everything operates exactly as it die before Chrome. After installing Office 2013, my computers opened Office programs faster than they did Office2010.

The exact opposite is true for me. With 2010 it was very fast. Once I installed 2013 it has gotten painfully slow.

Al is probably using Office for OS X, eh Al?....;)

Anyway, it's surprising you'd see something interesting in this--you can use viewer software for various OSes that you can get direct from Microsoft--for free, of course--if all you want to do is read Office files. (IE, having to run Chrome just to view office files is ludicrous...;))Try Binging "Office viewers for Windows 7," for instance--it brings up several pages of links.

Al is probably using Office for OS X, eh Al?....;)

Anyway, it's surprising you'd see something interesting in this--you can use viewer software for various OSes that you can get direct from Microsoft--for free, of course--if all you want to do is read Office files. (IE, having to run Chrome just to view office files is ludicrous...;))Try Binging "Office viewers for Windows 7," for instance--it brings up several pages of links.

Ludicrous or convenient?

I like that I no longer need fcking full Adobe Reader (or other standalone software) to open PDFs, and can just open and view them with one-click in Chrome. Doc file compatibility to do the same would be nice.

lolwut? Are you sure you don't mean IE? I get better office application support with chrome than I do IE and the apps are specifically designed for IE.

Seems to me people are confusing the time it takes to open an office document *within* Office compared to opening it within Chrome instead of timing the entire process of opening a document from one's hard drive (counting Office load time) vs. opening a document in an already open Chrome browser.

Even if it did only take a few seconds to launch Office and then read the document it'd still be faster to read the document within a Chrome tab when the browser is already open (and for most of us it's already open nearly all of the time, isn't it?)

Back