HGST Launches The Industry's First 12Gb/S SAS SSD

HardOCP News

[H] News
HGST (formerly Hitachi Global Storage Technologies and now a Western Digital company, NASDAQ: WDC) today announced the industry’s fastest and most advanced enterprise-class, multi level cell (MLC) SAS SSD family – the Ultrastar SSD800MH, Ultrastar SSD800MM and Ultrastar SSD1000MR. From the market share leader in enterprise SAS/FC SSDs, these HGST drives are the first to double today’s SAS interface speed. Designed for the most demanding applications where “hot” data is accessed frequently, such as high-frequency trading, online banking, cloud computing, online gaming, and big data analytics, HGST’s new 12Gb/s SAS SSDs help increase input/output per second (IOPS) and improve response times to mission-critical data in cloud and traditional IT datacentres environments.

KFC (formerly Kentucky Fried Chicken and now a Yum! Brands company, NYSE: YUM) today announced its upcoming original recipe boneless chicken.

Couldn't help myself. I love it when companies turn their names into acronyms and then people have to explain what the acronym stands for...

It's just SAS at 6gb dual channel SATA rates. You won't get 12GB in one direction at any time.

It's just SAS at 6gb dual channel SATA rates. You won't get 12GB in one direction at any time.

SATA-Express supports up to 16 Gb/s, although there is currently next to zero information of implementation and future platform adoption. I suppose we'll have to make due with dual channel SAS for now...

no it is 12gbps, dual port. they've been testing these with the soon to be released lsi 12gbps controllers for a little while now.

Back