Samsung Expects $7.7 Billion in Profits for Q1 2013

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Samsung has released projections for earnings for Q1 2013 and in the vernacular, it ain’t too shabby. Samsung announced quarterly sales of $46 Billion with a projected profit of $7.7 Billion. Things can only get better for Samsung with the upcoming release of the Galaxy S4 next month.

These figures are all estimates; exact numbers will be known when Samsung releases its full earnings report for Q1 2013, which should happen on April 26.

I dunno about the S4, that thing is almost as underwhelming as the iPhone 5.

What do people expect in smart phones theses days .... Teleportation?

I would like to see a massive leap in battery life, but that just isn't going to happen.

2nd place is no joke. But they have a LONG way to go to catch up to Intel. Intel beats almost all the other semiconductor companies combined.

With as much captital as Intel has they probably could make a teleporting cell phone.

in my opinion it's not the hardware that's the problem but software part, i mean they are more than little buggy. which is one of the big problem.

If it's anything like the first Galaxy S, then I'll pass.

My Motorola held up a lot better, but it's still got it's issues as well. :eek: Not nearly as bad as the Galaxy S though. :(

If it's anything like the first Galaxy S, then I'll pass.

My Motorola held up a lot better, but it's still got it's issues as well. :eek: Not nearly as bad as the Galaxy S though. :(

So you think they have not fixed the bugs in 4 generations of the phone? Try playing with a SGS3, the only thing keeping me from getting one was the fact I would have to pay outright for it because I still have a year to go on my HTC Evo3D.

So you think they have not fixed the bugs in 4 generations of the phone? Try playing with a SGS3, the only thing keeping me from getting one was the fact I would have to pay outright for it because I still have a year to go on my HTC Evo3D.

My friend has an S3 and he complains about some of the things I had issues with on my S1. So yes... I can believe they haven't fixed them in 4 generations. :(

hey, uh....Samsung....I could use a loan?

I don't give a shit about your 5" 1080p.

my eyes can't tell the difference

I'm not sure there's going to be much more than a psychological difference at this point. Once you cross over the threshold where the eye can discern individual pixels from one another, adding more and shrinking them might become a moot point and people who see the difference might just be "seeing" it to help justify desire to purchase or to seek validation that a purchase decision was a good one. It's a pretty common human trait and marketing departments at most companies are fully aware it'll happen so they going to do what's necessary to drive demand as long as there's a benefit to the design and manufacture costs.

The same sort of thing has been happening to people who buy PC parts for years. They'll do a set of tasks with their computer and then perform some sort of upgrade that isn't particularly meaningful. Despite the fact that the experience running same set of tasks is identicaly, they'll quickly begin to state that everything "feels" faster or that they're more efficient. Running Microsoft Office 2007 and checking e-mail with 4 GB of RAM and then upgrading to 8 GB...I've seen someone actually say that everything is so much faster. The computer was a 32-bit Windows 7 build.

In entirely unrelated news Apple plans to open up a new patent infringement lawsuit against Samsung LLC for the sum of $7.7 Billion.

People tend to forget how diversified many of these companies are.

Samsung for example doesn't just make electronics, or even consumer goods you see in your home (fridges/washing machines/diswashers/etc), but Samsung Engineering division is huge in oil and gas.

Samsung just got a $1.9 billion (not million) contract in Iraq: http://www.2b1stconsulting.com/samsung-harvests-1-9-billion-russian-contracts-in-iraq/

Samsung Heavy Industries division is the second largest shipbuilder in the WORLD.

They have their hand in just about everything, so to say "well herp derp Samsung has a cool new phone huurrr" is retarded, since that represents so little of their overall market.

I'm not sure there's going to be much more than a psychological difference at this point. Once you cross over the threshold where the eye can discern individual pixels from one another, adding more and shrinking them might become a moot point and people who see the difference might just be "seeing" it to help justify desire to purchase or to seek validation that a purchase decision was a good one. It's a pretty common human trait and marketing departments at most companies are fully aware it'll happen so they going to do what's necessary to drive demand as long as there's a benefit to the design and manufacture costs.

The same sort of thing has been happening to people who buy PC parts for years. They'll do a set of tasks with their computer and then perform some sort of upgrade that isn't particularly meaningful. Despite the fact that the experience running same set of tasks is identicaly, they'll quickly begin to state that everything "feels" faster or that they're more efficient. Running Microsoft Office 2007 and checking e-mail with 4 GB of RAM and then upgrading to 8 GB...I've seen someone actually say that everything is so much faster. The computer was a 32-bit Windows 7 build.

Some people can tell the difference. Most teenagers and some in their 20's. Some in their 20's and 30's if they strain, can probably tell the difference but its not something they sustain for long (5-15 minutes) before they relax their eyes and don't realize it. And most people over 40 not using glasses are full of crap and many of those using glasses its not going to help.

Back