10 Petaflops Supercomputer "Stampede" Officially Dedicated Today

HardOCP News

[H] News
Today at Texas Advanced Computing Center in Austin, the supercomputer "Stampede" - currently the largest Intel® Xeon Phi™ coprocessors' based system was officially dedicated. "Stampede" delivers 10 Petaflops of performance and is powered by combination of 12.800 Intel Xeon processors E5 product family and 6.880 Intel Xeon Phi coprocessors. "Stampede" already allows researchers to increase the accuracy of MRI scans, more effectively predict earthquakes, and help to advance in many other sciences as well. Intel's John Hengeveld shares his thoughts in a blog on why this is an important milestone for the science and why HPC is the best example of a technology directly affecting lives of every humans on Earth.

In Austin, huh? Now we know why PROK is targeting Austin. They're luddites and hate supercomputers!

No, but, it's pretty freaking amazing how much computing power we have today. I mean, Deep Blue from 1994 was able to compute a blistering 11.38 GFLOPS. Yet, today, your smartphone graphics chips churn out around double that! Even the most basic of desktop processors are orders of magnitude faster. We live in a truly exciting time, technologically. So much opportunity.

It is presumably housed where Ranger used to be on the Pickle Research Campus of UT, it's along one of the major highways through Austin so hundreds of thousands of people pass by it daily, but I imagine probably not even 1% of them realize it's even there.

I managed to tour the campus back when Ranger was their most powerful supercomputer (they claimed it was the most powerful even though it was only 7th IIRC on the TOP500). Pretty cool place in any case, although I wonder if they're still using COBOL with Stampede.

Back