U.S. Department of Defense Orders 630K iOS Devices

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
The Department of Defense has placed an order with Apple for a few devices for battlefield use to equip soldiers in the field with the latest in technology. The total order is in the neighborhood of $200-250 Million for approximately 630K units.

More than half of these are headed to the battlefield, presumably as part of the Army’s efforts to modernize communication, tactics, and command.

630k units for that much is roughly $400 per. Apple can do better than that.

There could be hardware upgrades (durability) and custom apps to assist the soldiers that increased cost.

Meanwhile, NASA announced today that it is cutting ALL of its outreach and public education programs.

DOD Spokesman has already said this story wasn't true and just a lie. When was the last time you heard of the DOD putting out a press release on phones they buy and other electronics. Doesn't happen often unless it is a military wide upgrade i.e. contract change to computers and other equipment.

DOD Spokesman has already said this story wasn't true and just a lie. When was the last time you heard of the DOD putting out a press release on phones they buy and other electronics. Doesn't happen often unless it is a military wide upgrade i.e. contract change to computers and other equipment.

Do you have a link? Thanks.

They are putting various devices through there paces but or more concerned with making sure all the devices they have now can be managed effectively and comingle well. They are testing Android, the new Blackberrys OS , WP8, and IOS devices but no plans to buy a huge order of any till they can make sure that they all work with one another.

Don't worry the 1 trillion in new taxes will cover this expense no problem.

Seen a few gov agencies do this lately, they must have finally struck a deal with Apple with getting around the app aproval process.

Will probably make some "tweaks" and then re-release them back into the wild. Coming soon to eBay and Craig's list.

Well they have to do something with the near trillion dollar budget they have to work with every year.

As stupid as our government is, it doesn't surprise me in the least the went with Icrap.

As stupid as our posters are, it doesn't surprise me in the least that no one read any of the preceding posts before posting.

makes sense to me the DOD wouldnt want to use a open platform ala android. Why share any source at all with enemies?

Back