IBM Creates Liquid-Based Transistors

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Researchers at IBM have turned their attention to remaking the humble transistor. The transistor has been the basic building component for just about all things electrical and through the decades has remained virtually unchanged….until now. Still in the developmental stages, IBM is developing technology to revolutionize the transistor to have it behave more like the human brain’s method of data processing.

“This is an alternative to a slowdown in Moore’s Law,” Parkin said. “Our inspiration is the brain and how it operates. It is full of liquids and ionic currents. We could build more brain-like devices.”

Wow! :eek:

I believe the next 10-15 years will be a paradine type shift for the way CPUs/memory are designed.

Increasing cores is not the answer, smarter sci-fi methods will be designed that will blow our minds.

I want to know what happened to MRAM. That was supposed to be the next big thing. Fluids in a chip? Sounds like a plumbing nightmare. And honestly, no different that current transistor technology. I'd like to know how they plan to make these new devices smaller than conventional CMOS technology, which is pretty damn small already.

The craziest thing about this tech is that it's supposedly non-volatile. Think of the power savings!

Wow! :eek:

I believe the next 10-15 years will be a paradine type shift for the way CPUs/memory are designed.

Increasing cores is not the answer, smarter sci-fi methods will be designed that will blow our minds.

I believe it's paradigm. Just an FYI.

You must hand it to IBM. There are very few companies in the whole world who spend so much on pure science, if any.

I remember when they wrote IBM in a plate of cadium by moving individual atoms.

Apple will give us Kardashian Tech. IBM is aiming at Asimov Tech.

PS- The Experts said IBM would be dead by 2000. They made typewriters and mechanical adding machines.

You must hand it to IBM. There are very few companies in the whole world who spend so much on pure science, if any.

I remember when they wrote IBM in a plate of cadium by moving individual atoms.

Apple will give us Kardashian Tech. IBM is aiming at Asimov Tech.

Yeah IBM does some cool stuff. Deep Blue, the supercomputer that defeated Kasparov in a chess match back in 1997, and Watson the jeopardy playing supercomputer.

I want to know what happened to MRAM. That was supposed to be the next big thing. Fluids in a chip? Sounds like a plumbing nightmare. And honestly, no different that current transistor technology. I'd like to know how they plan to make these new devices smaller than conventional CMOS technology, which is pretty damn small already.

From what I have been reading about, MRAM based solid state devices such as memory cards will start to make their appearance later this year. I believe that memory modules for PC's, video cards, etc will be next on the list.

Liquid transistors, does anyone else immediately think of the liquid metal Terminator when they hear this :0

PS- The Experts said IBM would be dead by 2000. They made typewriters and mechanical adding machines.

The "Experts."

My mind is already blown. I absolutely love the era I live in.

Looking forward to this new transistor operating in -40F temperatures.

Are the last big IBM/HP technological breakthrough in memresistors still an every-day reality?

Back