AMD’s SeaMicro SM15000 Achieves Certification for CDH4

HardOCP News

[H] News
AMD today announced that the SeaMicro SM15000™ server is now certified for CDH4, Cloudera’s Distribution Including Apache Hadoop® Version 4. AMD’s SeaMicro SM15000 server, which can deliver up to 512 processor cores and over five petabytes of storage in a single system, is the industry’s most power-efficient big data server platform. It offers the highest storage density solution in the industry with the lowest total cost of ownership and provides everything required for CDH4, creating a “Hadoop-in-a-Box” solution.

over five petabytes of storage in [...] 10U
How? I mean, I get the 64 processors, but 5PB? Using 4TB 3.5" drives, you're looking at 1250 drives. I don't even think it's physically possible to put that many drives in only 10U of space.

You can fit 72x4TB 3.5" drives in 4U using the SuperMicro 6047-E1R72L chassis. That's 288TB in 4U, or 72TB/U, the highest density storage I know of. With only 10U to work with, you're at 720TB. A far cry from the 5PB advertised!

The SM15000 supports Freedom Fabric Storage products, extending the fabric out of the system enclosure enabling a single system to connect to more than five petabytes of storage. This approach delivers the benefits of expensive and complex solutions such as network attached storage (NAS) and storage area networking (SAN) with the simplicity and low cost of direct attached storage.
I think they're fudging those numbers a bit, but technically I suppose they're not exactly lying.

I don't think they're saying that the 5PB is in the 10U, they're saying that with their interconnect magic, you could connect up to 5PB. It's pretty misleading language, but that's the only way that it makes sense.

http://www.seamicro.com/freedomfabric

There's the math err, shenanigans?

84 disks / enclosure
16 enclosures / SM15000
84 * 16 * 4TB = 5PB (funny, their list shows only 2/3TB, but you need 4 to make 5PB) ;)

But still, yeah... I'm not seeing how you could physically fit that many disks into the enclosure, much less feed them data properly...

Back