Half Of All Spam Comes From Only 20 ISPs

HardOCP News

[H] News
If 50% of all the spam comes from only 20 ISPs, why not just block them completely until they get their act together?

Of the 42,201 ISPs studied about 50% of all junk mail, phishing attacks and other malicious messages came from just 20 networks, they found. Many of these networks were concentrated in India, Vietnam and Brazil. On the net's most crime-ridden network - Spectranet in Nigeria - 62% of all the addresses controlled by that ISP were seen to be sending out spam.

I use the SpamHaus drop lists on both of my mail servers and it does seem to help.

That title is confusing. Is like 60% of the time it works every time.

Why not say 10% of spam comes from 1 ISP

Wow eye opening so drop India, Brazil, Nigeria , and Russia and most simple spam will drop.

Wow eye opening so drop India, Brazil, Nigeria , and Russia and most simple spam will drop.

Don't I wish it were that easy. They're just the hosts. the owners are likely Americans. They'll just find another place to host their crap.

I always felt like it should be something you have to opt in to, to send/receive to select countries. It would solve a lot of current issues.

Years ago there was a email service (I forget the name) where you could either block all spam or set a price for spammers to pay you for each piece of spam to reach your inbox (as if spammers would actually be willing to pay). Sadly it only lasted a few years. IMO, it should've set the gold standard for spam handling.

most bot net attacks source from the U.S as well...... so block the U.S cause people are stupid and click yes yes yes to everything as well..

problem is countries like those the ISP take good money to have clients and they turn the other way..

Don't I wish it were that easy. They're just the hosts. the owners are likely Americans. They'll just find another place to host their crap.

That's like saying we should stop arresting criminals since there will just be more later on. Ignoring crime only encourages more. It may be "what-a-mole" for a bit till ISP's learn that if they want to stay in biz, don't let people use your service to spam.

That's like saying we should stop arresting criminals since there will just be more later on. Ignoring crime only encourages more. It may be "what-a-mole" for a bit till ISP's learn that if they want to stay in biz, don't let people use your service to spam.

And that's like saying we should put to jail all humans since all criminals are human.

Back