Dropbox Clears 1B File Uploads Per Day

HardOCP News

[H] News
Dropbox is claiming that its 100 million users upload a billion files per day. Holy crap, can that number be right? :eek:

People save 1 billion files every day to Dropbox's online storage service, Chief Executive Drew Houston said today at the Mobile World Congress show here. In addition, the company's 100 million users tap into the service with 500 million devices, he said. The statistics shows major growth for a company founded in 2007 when today's high-end smartphones only just were emerging.

Probably true. I use it for school, with my tablet. I'm opening and saving multiple files for each class...so it adds up quite quickly.

Think about how many smart phones alone that upload every picture that is taken.

That's our fault. My company just signed up with Team Dropbox business account with 27 users and in just 2 weeks we uploaded over 72 gigs worth of drawings and PDF documents.

Sorry!

Dropbox is a life saver. Simple, reliable, fast, awesome.

I agree. It is very easy to set up. I actually ran out of room with my free account due to my phone pic upload folder. I just removed them and placed them in an archive folder on my phone and on my backup drive and then started from scratch in DropBox. I have another account just for work so that I can take work home with me without actually taking a laptop or worry about remembering to save files to a thumb drive.

Subheadline: Admins across the planet quietly weep trying to control flooded internet connections.

Depends on how they count "uploads." I run my LaTex document and it updates 10-12 files on every run if I've changed something. If syncing changed files counts as an "upload," then I absolutely believe it, because there are plenty of people who work from files in their Dropbox folders, and every time Office or whatever program autosaves the file, it'll re-sync to Dropbox.

If they are saying 1B completely NEW files every day... that's nuts.

No problem, people click save every 60 seconds all day on the same file.

Back