Facebook Testing Bigger Images In Ads

HardOCP News

[H] News
If you were worried about not being able to see Facebook's ads, fear not, the company is making them bigger because "people respond favorably to larger images."

We are running a small test in the U.S. where some people might see ads in the right-hand column that feature larger images. We have seen that people respond favorably to larger images — both from people and pages — in News Feed, and as such we are testing this out on the right–hand side.

One of the reasons I use blocking. Cause some sites go overboard and they pop up and obstruct parts of the page. Wish we were at 10 years ago when ads were nearly non existent.

Ahh, that's good! Just in case those who already use FB didn't see the ads when they logged in 48 times a day - just make 'em bigger! It's bad when there is more ad space on a page then there is content. At least it's only a little big larger based off the pics in the article.

I guess size really does matter after all.

One of the reasons I use blocking. Cause some sites go overboard and they pop up and obstruct parts of the page. Wish we were at 10 years ago when ads were nearly non existent.

So you want to go back 10 years in the services/functionality that's available on the web as well?

Yea, no thanks. Web sites are much harder to design, develop, and maintain than they were 10 years ago. You can thank jquery/javascript, mobile, tablets, etc. for that. At least the main desktop browsers have started playing well with each other. IE10 doesn't suck all that bad compared to IE9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1.

Users like seeing larger images of people, therefore users want larger banner ads. Facebook logic.

I report all suggested ads that show up in the newsfeed as not interesting. With "unwanted spam" in the comment box.

So you want to go back 10 years in the services/functionality that's available on the web as well?

Yea, no thanks. Web sites are much harder to design, develop, and maintain than they were 10 years ago. You can thank jquery/javascript, mobile, tablets, etc. for that. At least the main desktop browsers have started playing well with each other. IE10 doesn't suck all that bad compared to IE9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1.

The only "services/functionality" I see is advertising. Sites "look" better, but most of that is due to better graphics (like png). jquery and javascript have made things better with more interaction but most of the rest is just junk to me.

I'm trying out facebook ads right now to advertise for the company I work for and the traffic I've been getting has been absolute crap. The ad text is set up to pre-qualify those who click on the ad by including introductory pricing (so they'll think "man, I can't afford that" and not click it) and yet my bounce rate is in the high 90s. They don't need to worry about the sizes of the ad images, they need to worry about bot traffic and refining their targeting and analytics reporting. The fact that you can't set ads to run during typical business hours really kills conversions when your main objective is to generate calls.

Funny language: -
"people respond favorably to larger images."

Instead of saying: -
"people are more likely to see larger images."
or
"people are more likely to click larger images."

Funny language: -
"people respond favorably to larger images."

Instead of saying: -
"people are more likely to see larger images."
or
"people are more likely to click larger images."