Supersonic Ping Pong Ball

He's the most boring person who has ever bored me to boredom.

I'm sorry for this respond, I have a bit of super bowl party hangover going on :)

But that video sucked. five and half minutes of a physics lecture about how his ping pong ball gun works, and 30 seconds of staring at a paddle, with a split second impact, then 2 more minutes of explanation involving some "interesting things that they observed" (yeah a gun recoiling is so odd!). Seriously Perdue needs to step the game up and show the super slow mo action of the pingpong ball blasting through the paddle.

Again this was not meant towards Steve's posting :)

Indeed. Unaccented American english is the exception, not the rule.

Please don't do this. Linguists everywhere cringe when people do this. Everyone has an accent. He has some form of Midwestern American English, specifically, I'd say West-Central Ohioan given that he's from the Dayton area.

But, yeah, while the exposition was nice I was most assuredly disappointed in the lack of slow-motion video, especially given they had video in order to determine the muzzle velocity.

The wonders of convergent-divergent nozzles at work! So amazing! Hypersonic velocity and vacuum chambers! For science!

Oh, I didn't bother watching the video. :p

I see most of you suffer from short attention spans. Think of the possibilities for spud guns and pumpkin chunkin' This was a whole lot clearer and entertaining than any of my physics classes.

He said "do not, do not try this at home." Which I'm pretty sure means, do it at home. Sweet!

As someone who was born near the Dayton area, it's the lack of an accent that gives us an accent, as the exception to the rule.

I did not find this boring at all. Perhaps a lot of people just have short attention spans? Watching a ping-pong ball blow clean through something is something you don't see every day.

really curious about that convergant-divergant nozzle. I wonder if they tried it without that nozzle and just high pressure first.

I did not find this boring at all. Perhaps a lot of people just have short attention spans? Watching a ping-pong ball blow clean through something is something you don't see every day.

The surprise is now ruined by the lack of a spoiler button in this post. Mean birdies! :mad:

Well if having to watch 450 times more boring video stuff (7:26) than cool video stuff (less than 0:01) then yeah I got a short attention span.

He said "do not, do not try this at home." Which I'm pretty sure means, do it at home. Sweet!
I believe that's engineering speak for "this is so cool you're shit yourself, so have a clean pair of underwear handy"

lucky you! cuz he's way better than 90% of the profs I suffered thru
Yes but stretch that out over an hour long class. Lots of professors are cool, just in short spurts, I had one teacher that was a decent enough teacher when we met 3 days a week for 50 minutes a day), but then the same teacher the next semester essentially the "2nd semester of the same subject" when we had 1 day a week class the met for 2 and a half hours... well then I wanted to kill myself rather than listen to him.

The short lecture was interesting. The lack of highspeed camera was lame. Any professor gets boring when you listen to them discuss a concept for 2 hours.

dude was boring as hell. There was about 2 seconds of hte video worth watching.

I have to ask what would have happened if hte ball had not been in the barrel though.. The paddle was close enough that AIR may have blown the hole in it.

I was wondering what would happen if I tried to catch the ping pong ball.

Then I saw the racquet.

If Democrats see this, they'll demand ping pong ball control laws.
The subsonic version would generate roughly 45 foot pounds of energy, or bout the power of a .22 short pistol. The supersonic version, 175 foot pounds, is as powerful as a .380.

Am I the only one that thought it was awesome and a decent video. Guy wasn't too boring. Maybe it's a nerd/science thing...

I'd really like to see this, maybe scaled up a few notches! Launch some potatoes or something.

Am I the only one that thought it was awesome and a decent video. Guy wasn't too boring. Maybe it's a nerd/science thing...

I'd really like to see this, maybe scaled up a few notches! Launch some potatoes or something.

Yeah, this was an awesome video!

I grew up watching these kind of videos on PBS and educational and science videos. I didn't mind at all listening to this professor. I am tempted to try it though, but with an airport behind my house, I don't think it'd be legal. :D

Though I do wonder if it'd work with potatoes.

(But, hey, maybe that's why this country is failing educationally and why the country lacks top honors in math and science in the middle and high school levels-- people just have short attention spans. Pay attention to your teachers and you'll learn something. Not every teacher or professor is an entertainer.)

I bet there was government grant to do this...fine waste of my tax money.

If you had followed it at all, you would see it was at a College University, where the students pay tuition, not taxes.

What rock do you live under? You need to go take college and university finances 101.

I didn't find it boring at all. Of course I'm almost 50. I plan on watching all 189 of his videos. The Best use of YouTube I've seen!

No slo motion....and no flammable gasses used...boring...I want to see a flaming ping pong ball at super sonic speeds.

As someone who was born near the Dayton area, it's the lack of an accent that gives us an accent, as the exception to the rule.

Yeah, many years ago, friend of my mom's that worked at a Steakhouse that was a frequent stopping point for people headed to tourist traps further south, she reported a conversation her and a "Northern" Tourist.

Tourist: "People here have the quaintest accents!"

Waitress: "Honey, down here, you are the one with the accent."

No slo motion....and no flammable gasses used...boring...I want to see a flaming ping pong ball at super sonic speeds.

I did the flammable gasses once at work one night, worked at a plant in a remote location (Sasquatch kept stealing the toilet paper from the porta-johns it was so remote).

13 gallon trash bag with the proper mix of Oxygen and Acetylene placed at the bottom of a burn barrel made from a 55 gallon drum, assorted empty 50lb bags (that probably contained some sort of toxic chemical residue) light bags, run like hell.

I've been close to some fairly large explosions over the years, it felt similar to being in the vicinity of a 155mm Howitzer round going off, the part where you feel the concussion in your bowels. (not the whizzing metal shrapnel part). lots of fun! made lots of toxic confetti too.

I really enjoyed the video, he thoroughly explained the principles, and we got to see some destruction at the end. Science! It sounds like most of the guys here have played to much Crysis...

Must be a newer teacher, I do not recognize him and I went to Purdue like er a decade ago.

"Don't try this at home"

Yea right !

I'm a professional too ..... ;) I went and got my vacuum pump today.The rest of the parts I have on the shelf, and I bought a bag of ping-pong balls today.

Be running in an hour , I'll let yah know.

:p

Yea baby !

I'll verify this works.I just put a ping pong ball through the side of a beercase.

I've gotta make a C-D nozzle now I guess.

Haha.

:D

I'll get a pic up !

Yea baby !

I'll verify this works.I just put a ping pong ball through the side of a beercase.

I've gotta make a C-D nozzle now I guess.

Haha.

:D

I'll get a pic up !

must see! I too am a professional and am very interested to try this. In fact, I've got a bad ass vacuum pump at work and all the fab tools I could need. did you just use packing tape to seal the ends like he suggested? that's good enough?

Back