US Appeals Court Rules on WikiLeaks Investigation

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks like there will be three more reservations for rooms at the Ecuadorian Embassy. :D

The case involves three Twitter account holders with some connection to the secret-busting WikiLeaks website. They had argued that forcing Twitter to cooperate with the investigation by turning over data amounts to an invasion of privacy and has a chilling effect on the free speech rights of Twitter users. The federal panel in Richmond rejected their appeal and affirmed a magistrate's court order that Twitter must turn over limited account information to prosecutors.

I'm still conflicted as to how I feel about the Wikileaks situation. Agents and informants in the field were outed as a result of the info released. It feels like momentum towards tearing down borders, and I'm a fan of sovereignty over one world government.

At the same time, transparency does wonders for keeping the State on its toes. Those bastards need to be reminded that they're not gods.

Either way, Julian Assange is a slimy, despicable douche.

Transparency in everything is just not possible. If you think that everything that a government does, especially in these times, should be known, then you are a bonafide retard.

Transparency in everything is just not possible. If you think that everything that a government does, especially in these times, should be known, then you are a bonafide retard.

Where lies the check in power, then? Especially in a time when the Secretary of State, in response to being asked about the lie that the Benghazi attack was a protest -- a lie put forward by the State Department -- responds "what difference does it make?" Americans are dead because of what happened; that's the difference, and if the government is lying about the motivations behind why those people died, then perhaps an organization like Wikileaks is necessary just to keep them from focusing on covering their asses.

Where lies the check in power, then? Especially in a time when the Secretary of State, in response to being asked about the lie that the Benghazi attack was a protest -- a lie put forward by the State Department -- responds "what difference does it make?" Americans are dead because of what happened; that's the difference, and if the government is lying about the motivations behind why those people died, then perhaps an organization like Wikileaks is necessary just to keep them from focusing on covering their asses.
More importantly, where do you draw the line?

Should be post troop movements of our soldiers or the screw signatures of our subs in the name of transparency?

What kind of bodycount are you looking for before something is deemed "all must know"?

More importantly, where do you draw the line?

Should be post troop movements of our soldiers or the screw signatures of our subs in the name of transparency?

What kind of bodycount are you looking for before something is deemed "all must know"?

Your soldiers have no business being over there.

Wikileaks exposed war crimes committed by your soldiers (See : Collateral Murder Video). That is the reason the US government is going after them.

Wikileaks exposed war crimes committed by your soldiers (See : Collateral Murder Video). That is the reason the US government is going after them.

Oh boy , its one of you :rolleyes:

I was referring to ANY troop movements. Is that too difficult to understand the underlying concept?

And if they are war crimes, then what do you call the deaths of 3000 civilians in 9/11? Or are you OK with that?

And if they are war crimes, then what do you call the deaths of 3000 civilians in 9/11? Or are you OK with that?

Murder.

What do you call the deaths of 200,000 civilians in Hiroshima and Nagasaki? What do you call the deaths of hundreds of innocent civilians (including children) at the hands of drone pirates who haven't even the courage to confront their enemy face to face?

I was referring to ANY troop movements. Is that too difficult to understand the underlying concept?

The United States has not declared war. There is no war declaration currently active. There is no where on this planet that US troops have any business being at this time except back home. The neoconservative hubris never ceases to amaze me.

There's definitely a line that needs to be drawn when it comes to what governments will do. I have to admit as being a US citizen, I'm not proud of the actions taken by my government.

There's a point when lying for "Our [citizen] Good" needs to be determined from lying for "My [Government] Good." Covering up reasons for deaths that would be determined by anyone with any sense of morals. Needless innocent deaths.

Don't make me soapbox this thread.

If you hate the U.S. and OUR troops, fine...complain in General Mayhem.

Get back on topic or I'll move the thread to GM. The thread is about the appellate courts upholding the lower courts ruling to turn over the names of Twitter account owners.

Continue to post off topic crap in this thread at your own risk.

Your citation is exactly why Julian Assange is sub-human. We know for a fact now that the video showed armed men being fired upon, 20 minutes after small arms fire was reported in the area.

Wikileaks can be a good thing if it presents information without editorial, but Assange's "collateral murder" title was blatant misrepresentation, which he admitted was his entire goal. In his interview with Stephen Colbert, he said that his interest is not spreading the truth, but "maximum political impact". He's no journalist. He's a goddamned political activist with a personal agenda. Someone like that at the helm of Wikileaks ruins the entire concept, because he is no better than the bastards he smugly says he loves "crushing". :rolleyes:

why?

why does the population of the planet somehow render transparency invalid?

Why is a government composed of people somehow above the rest of us?

I guess I am a bonifide retard, but I think now more than ever transparency is a must.

I'm still conflicted as to how I feel about the Wikileaks situation. Agents and informants in the field were outed as a result of the info released. It feels like momentum towards tearing down borders, and I'm a fan of sovereignty over one world government.

At the same time, transparency does wonders for keeping the State on its toes. Those bastards need to be reminded that they're not gods.

Either way, Julian Assange is a slimy, despicable douche.

He may or may not be. But Assange is in the crosshairs because he has his finger on the pulse of EVERYONE's most closely held secrets (things that especially governments don't want the masses to know about). Wikileaks is an online vehicle for exposing those secrets. It gets the attention of alot of very powerful people in this world (the entire world). I personally don't believe that anyone that isn't a "slimy despicable douche" would ever be capable of getting access to these secrets....let alone be capable of mass exposure of it. I also believe this story is a big part of the Megaupload saga. "illegal sharing of copyrighted material" is just a convenient excuse to take it down. There are things on those servers. The reason Assange gets my respect (if perhaps the only reason) is that he represents someone taking a stand against various kinds of government corruption. Just like Dotcom (well, not just like). There are things that NEED to happen. Government (especially the US government) really NEEDS to be takin down a few pegs.

On the latter, so many atrocities would have been avoided had the government at least feared there was a very good possibility that their secret would be outed during their administration.

But like you say, some secrets are important and that the American people at least want to be kept.

That is the inherent problem though, when you allow the government to keep secrets from the people and dissapear people (even citizens now) without a trial indefinitely, who polices the police and ensures that trust isn't betrayed?

The US Government is the largest criminal organization in the world. The Federal Appeals Kangaroo Court is a division of the US Government. Did anyone expect them to actually rule against themselves?

"We are the US Government, we are always right, because we say we are."

Murder.

What do you call the deaths of 200,000 civilians in Hiroshima and Nagasaki? What do you call the deaths of hundreds of innocent civilians (including children) at the hands of drone pirates who haven't even the courage to confront their enemy face to face?

The United States has not declared war. There is no war declaration currently active. There is no where on this planet that US troops have any business being at this time except back home. The neoconservative hubris never ceases to amaze me.

The united states government is fucking retarded, period

"Why are we at war?" "Its not a war, its a liberation and occupation of corrupt countries" "Then why do you call it the war on terror?" "Um......er........*whispers to federal agent* find out who that fucker is and put him on the patriot act watch list"

As someone who has actually read a great amount of the leaked material (yes, including the complete "collateral murder" video, not just the short version), this is an absolute travesty of justice. What the US government is involved in these days is repugnant, and the smears etc... against Wikileaks are undeserved. The things we've done to rightful whistleblowers and rejecting of journalistic protections is sickening, not to mention the proof of malfeasance by a handful of corporate oligarchs and the puppets within the government they control. NOTHING released by Wikileaks contained the kind of "necessary for security" secrets such as troop movements as they happened, launch codes, etc... instead, it was all simply "because we don't want the American people to know how exactly how bad we're acting" security theater temper tantrums.

Oh, and as an aside - if you've not seen it as of yet, I highly suggest everyone here watch "The Untold History of the United States". A 10-part documentary series (done in the style of "The World at War") directed by Oliver Stone that recently aired on Showtime. It contains tons of historical examples for how the lies told by puppet governments and the lengths to which this nation has pulled the wool over the eyes of its citizens to serve a handful of financial elites, is nothing new.

Back