NVIDIA's Tegra 4 Announced

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Quad Core A15, newest ARM generation.

13575252808wFCe9X7PV_1_2.png

Tegra 4 vs Market leaders loading 25 websites.

13575252808wFCe9X7PV_1_3.png

Better pictures with Tegra 4.

13575252808wFCe9X7PV_1_4.png

13575252808wFCe9X7PV_1_5.png

Last edited:
Nice, this will be a nice step up against the Adreno 320, with better performance on cpu and hopefully gpu! we'll see how battery power is though.

I was about to go to bed but saw this and forgot I was tired. Well worth watching!

Real time "HDR" my rear. All it is doing is adjusting the RAW image in real time.

If it was real "real time HDR", you would need multiple cameras.

On top of that, when they adjusted it to make the background better, it made the foreground way too dark, which is NOT what HDR does. HDR takes multiple images taken at different exposures, and puts them all together to make everything be properly exposed.

Also, he said that it is impossible to take action pictures with a digital camera... ummmm.. right.

Crap, just bought a nexus

I'd still take the N10 that exists today over an SoC that has only been announced and is still a ways off from shipping. The only real difference so far is the N10 has dual core A15 and this has quad core A15 - we'll have to wait to see how well the GPU actually holds up. So far Nvidia hasn't made a high-end competitive Tegra, but maybe 4th time will be the charm.

Real time "HDR" my rear. All it is doing is adjusting the RAW image in real time.

If it was real "real time HDR", you would need multiple cameras.

On top of that, when they adjusted it to make the background better, it made the foreground way too dark, which is NOT what HDR does. HDR takes multiple images taken at different exposures, and puts them all together to make everything be properly exposed.

Also, he said that it is impossible to take action pictures with a digital camera... ummmm.. right.

I dunno about you, but they clearly demonstrated how simulating HDR stitching works by taking 2 exposures and putting them together. Maybe the livestream quality made the results look off to you?

And I think by action pictures, they meant HDR action pictures, since the technique requires at least 2 successive shots, which is near impossible to capture perfectly when objects are in motion. This new camera allegedly takes 2 shots simultaneously at different exposures to produce the "effectively" HDR image.

I dunno about you, but they clearly demonstrated how simulating HDR stitching works by taking 2 exposures and putting them together. Maybe the livestream quality made the results look off to you?

And I think by action pictures, they meant HDR action pictures, since the technique requires at least 2 successive shots, which is near impossible to capture perfectly when objects are in motion. This new camera allegedly takes 2 shots simultaneously at different exposures to produce the "effectively" HDR image.

You are right on target with your thoughts. NVIDIA is taking two pictures at once. Each with different exposure settings. As for the demo on stage, yes it worked, but was far from impressive which given stage lighting, taking pictures of pictures for rebroadcast, then sending that over a web feed.......I think we can understand meh results in image quality.

Looks like it has another outdated GPU just like not even got unified shaders yet!

Of course, without software, this thing is dead in the water.
I also wonder how locked down it is, and if you can install your own OS on it... hmmm

It's theoretically possible to do HDR the way they describe, though the 2 exposures are not exactly instant, hence why they put "one shot" HDR in quotes. All they have to do is change the ISO sensitivity extremely quickly and process the two exposures together. The only problem I can see coming from that is that you need an extremely fast shutter speed to make both exposures look instant. With a slow shutter, the 2nd exposure won't have the same motion blur as the 1st exposure, so you probably can't take a pic with a slow shutter instantly with HDR.

Back