50 Best Places to Work

HardOCP News

[H] News
Glassdoor has posted its annual "50 Best Places to Work" list today. What makes this list different from others is that it is the employees that vote for the companies on the list. King of the hill? Facebook. Google was #6 on the list, LinkedIn is #14 and Intel #31.

Vision of management and Mark Zuckerberg to prioritize long term goals over short term ones. Ability to work on a product that affects hundreds of millions of people. Employees given large responsibilities relatively early in their careers. Strong culture makes it fun to work here.

I had an interview at Boston Consulting Group for one of their IT positions... was very excited. The place was modern, lost of money flowing all over the place. Very attractive women all over too.

Even thought I hold a BS in Economics from A&M -- (unrelated to the specific job, but pretty damn important in the scheme considering the whole business they are in) I still didn't get the job.

Was pretty sad till I started reading a few glass door reviews from the posted link. Highly political, lots of controlling douches, and after the interview I found out it was going to be some low ass "we need more toner in the copy machine" or "my computer is going really slow" type of job.

The company I work at now is ranked #3 in best places to work locally. Apparently that's no where near enough to even show up on this last. Wow.

I'm contracted to a company in the top 25. A little surprised to see them up there. But it's not a bad place. Some locations better than others. Closer to the home office is always better.

What a crock, I don't see a single ad agency there but In N' Out? and Starbucks...

I had also heard Facebook is an arse to work for, crap hours, tight deadlines, looks like a hoarders coffee shop from the video.

Most professionals in my region would never even consider working for Boeing. It's known locally as "
The lazy B".

Googles local office is pretty much a revolving door from what I hear.

-
Sorry, my phone messes up the formatting on these forums

McKinsey always seems to make these lists, but people who actually work there never seem to say good things about them. The best I have heard is that it is a great place to work so you can have it on your resume and no one stays past 5 years. Which is pretty much reflected in their turnover rate, McKinsey says their astronomical turnover rate is not because of employee dissatisfaction, but because everyone who leaves goes on to run other companies.:rolleyes: My guess is McKinsey assigns employees to write reviews so they stay on these lists.

I have to disagree most part of this list. Lot's of them I have seen and heard that are exactly the opposite.

My company isn't on there either... but the creators of some of the software we use are: SalesForce and Citri xlol

I know people that work at Facebook and fucking hate it. Bad list.

I've previously worked for a company that was on many of these "Best companies to work for lists". Most miserable years of my life. It had a great reputation based on indoctrination imho, and most of the people working there were right out of college who've never had any work experience with other companies.

As for writing bad reviews, if you want to keep your job, that's probably a bad idea unless you have another job waiting. With all your personal information easily accessible online, it's not too hard to find out who said what.

We had a survey that would rank our employer and our workplace. They didn't score well so they came back with a questionnaire that, although anonymous, asked enough detail to be able to figure out who was who with a little guessing. Helped their score a little but not enough. So right now they're annoying us with meetings about it to try to get a higher score. Its very strange to see them rationalized what the scores means and why they think we're not happy. Its basically our fault that our morale is low.

Back