Google Says Apple Patent Lawsuit Dismissed

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to Reuters, a federal judge has has thrown out Apple's lawsuit against Google. Although Apple couldn't be reached for comment, the company will no doubt appeal.

Apple had been set to square off against Motorola on Monday in a trial in U.S. District Court in Madison, Wisconsin, involving Google's use of the library of patents it acquired along with Motorola for $12.5 billion in May. "We're pleased that the court has dismissed Apple's lawsuit with prejudice," a Google spokeswoman said in an emailed statement on Monday.

So, if I have this right, Apple wanted to obtain licensing from Google for Motorola patents at a reduced rate, Google said no, Apple sued, and the judge said f' off to Apple. Google was looking for 2.something percent per infringing device sale, I wonder what Apple would be looking for if the shoe were on the other foot.

Not only that, Apple wanted to set a max price of $1 and if the judge decided more was required, then Apple had the right to not agree...What world do Apple live on, because it isn't mine.

Dear Apple:

you-got-served1.jpg

Sincerely,
Google

So, if I have this right, Apple wanted to obtain licensing from Google for Motorola patents at a reduced rate, Google said no, Apple sued, and the judge said f' off to Apple. Google was looking for 2.something percent per infringing device sale, I wonder what Apple would be looking for if the shoe were on the other foot.
I'd say Apple would want more in the neighborhood of 20.something percent per infringing device sale (they'd really want more like 200.something percent, but reality has to kick in at some point).

This is good news for the tech industry... If the lawsuits would stop then the money could be spent on some wild ideals like technology advancement.. Apple is just the worst offender..

I think it was more because Apple had the nerve to say "we're not going to listen to the judgement if it isn't less than $1 device" - no judge is going to take that bullshit, that's just a waste of the court's time.

I think it was more because Apple had the nerve to say "we're not going to listen to the judgement if it isn't less than $1 device" - no judge is going to take that bullshit, that's just a waste of the court's time.

+1 - sounds like Apple basically told the Court to rule their way or they wouldn't follow the ruling. At that point, the judge may not even have jurisdiction under article 3 of the constitution to continue the trial (case or controversy requirement).

I'd say Apple would want more in the neighborhood of 20.something percent per infringing device sale (they'd really want more like 200.something percent, but reality has to kick in at some point).
I think S Jobs took the secrets for maintaining the RDF with him to the grave. Looks like reality is kicking in slowly but surely.

Thanks for the clarification. F'ing Apple, amazing.

Back