Matrox DualHead2Go

HardOCP News

[H] News
The gang at Overclockers Club seem pretty damn impressed with the Matrox DualHead2Go external multi-display adapter. Here's a quote from the full review:

The Matrox DualHead2Go is the display adaptor you have been looking for but never found. The image quality for such a small adaptor is superb — it never looked washed out or faded as you can see from the introductory photos for this review. I just cannot say enough about the quality; it is simply one of those things you need to see firsthand to appreciate.

Matrox? Did I click the "20 years ago today" button?
Pretty much what I was thinking. I had no idea they still made these things. What I want to know is, why didn't they go all out and review the TripleHead2Go. :p

I've not tried the DP version, but I did try the DVI Triplehead2Go recently. Nothing but problems. Drivers were a massive PITA, nothing works the way you think it should. I ended up going with the Startech triplehead adapter, which, while I suppose was technically less flexible it was also much more reliable and easy to set up (and cheaper). Consistent and reliable wins everytime with end users.

So does this present a single wide monitor to the OS or is it actually a DisplayPort MST hub that we've been waiting for all this time? I'm guessing the former based on what I got from the article. I used a DualHead2Go DE previously that had a VGA input and 2x DVI outputs. I tried their crappy software, but it only caused headached. I opted to not use the software and let the OS do its native things as if it were one big monitor; not a big problem since I don't go full screen on most things, but going fullscreen on Excel with a wide spreadsheet was an absolute dream.

Seriously, WhereTF are the MST hubs? I should be able to run multiple monitors off of one DisplayPort connection and not have to hand over multiple paychecks to Apple.

Matrox has still been a pretty big player in the multi-monitor/walls/imaging/ (though not as much any more web conferencing stuff) since they dropped out of the enthusiast/gaming market after their Parhelia launch.

Matrox made some pretty good stuff back in the day. I've ran every Millennium product from Mil I to G-400 Max, skipping the G-100, and was very happy with the performance. The Dual Head on the Max was useful and cool to use. I switched to Nvidia after seeing that the Parhelia was an underperformer and then to ATI with the release of the 9800 XT. I still have an old system with the Matrox RTx 100 Extreme Pro NLE card (for old 4:3 footage I've been migrating to digital) and that was an excellent video editing card for its time.

I wish Matrox would venture back in to the enthusiast market with something new and hot just to shake things up.

Wtf? Since when has this been news. The DH2G and TH2G have been around forever now. But the advent of AMD and Nvidia surround technology has made them virtually insignificant nowadays. They do offer some more options, but don't always work nearly as well. Plus it is another piece of hardware you have to get that isn't always as reliable as it could be. I looked at getting a digial TH2G about years ago prior to the surround products by AMD and Nvidia.

Back