AMD-Based HP Servers Shatter Performance Record

HardOCP News

[H] News
AMD today announced that a cluster of HP ProLiant BL465c Gen8 servers utilizing AMD Opteron™ 6200 Series processors has achieved the highest VMmark® 2.1 score ever posted, representing a 40 percent increase over the next best score. VMmark is VMware’s popular multi-server benchmarking tool that measures platform performance and scalability of virtualized environments. The record score of 59.99 at 62 tiles displaced a score of 42.79 at 36 tiles – a 40 percent increase in performance and a 72 percent increase in the number of virtual machines.

Pretty much this. Bulldozers are quite good for cloud services and VM's. Not so much everywhere else.

This isnt Bulldozer though. AMD only care about their Opteron anymore and I believe Bulldozer was just a dumbed down version of Opteron.

I get what you are saying, but bringing Bulldozer in to this really doesnt have anything to do with the topic of servers and VMs.

This isnt Bulldozer though. AMD only care about their Opteron anymore and I believe Bulldozer was just a dumbed down version of Opteron.

I get what you are saying, but bringing Bulldozer in to this really doesnt have anything to do with the topic of servers and VMs.

It's the same architecture, the only differences stem from server-only options enabled that are left out in Bulldozer. It's the same chip. The server variants come in 2-die MCM packages as well, but, again, it's the same die.

AMD's desktop processors are just server processors released to enthusiasts. It's sort of like Intel's 2011 platform, which are basically all Xeons clocked higher at higher TDPs.

:rolleyes:

You don't know what you are talking about.
Opterons (server) ARE Bulldozer.
FX (Desktop) series are also Bulldozer.

Bulldozer is a microarchitecture, not a processor.

Back