BIOSTAR Hi-Fi Z77X LGA 1155 Motherboard Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
BIOSTAR Hi-Fi Z77X LGA 1155 Motherboard Review - BIOSTAR generally has a reputation for making low end or budget oriented motherboards. Fortunately that isn't all BIOSTAR designs and builds. The Hi-Fi Z77X is an unusual motherboard in that it seems to be targeted towards HTPC and media type duties while still addressing enthusiast hardware and overclocking concerns.

Great review! Its good to see Biostar getting some press. I haven't bought anything but Biostar boards for over a year now. They are awesome bang for the buck boards and have never failed me. More than I can say for every other manufacturer.

Its been ages since I had a Biostar Mobo. I still have a working P4 on one.

The only reason I'd consider this mobo is for Tri-sli, but there are much better alternatives.

As a budget board there are also better options (except for the 3rd pci-e slot) that either cost less, offer more features or both.

And I don't see any feature that makes this board better for HTPC/media type duties.

Been wondering about this board for some time now, so tyvm for this review, which answered any questions I may have had.

I've been looking at building a new system around the i5, thanks for the review!

Very tiny typo in the introduction, you put in 2 USB 2.0 ports instead of USB 3.0:
"The I/O panel is fairly clean for a board of this type. Only 4 USB 2.0 ports, 2 USB 2.0 ports, 1 PS/2 keyboard port, 1 RJ-45 LAN port, DSUB, DVI, HDMI, and six mini-stereo jacks for audio. The lack of an optical port surprised me here."

interesting read -
@editor
you might want to check the gaming b/marks page - the biostar is missing from the graph/s, sorry :eek::eek:

I used to have one of these. Not expecting anything since it was a budget build but to my surprise the built in sound it remarkable.

Back