California Passes Social Media Spying Bill

HardOCP News

[H] News
How many other state do you think will follow California's lead on this one?

"Today I am signing Assembly Bill 1844 and Senate Bill 1349, which prohibit universities and employers from demanding your email and social media passwords," he wrote in a Facebook post. "California pioneered the social media revolution. These laws protect Californians from unwarranted invasions of their social media accounts."

awww weaksauce... so I can't find the largest breasted students I have and demand their passwords anymore?

I hope so. There is no valid reason for having to cough up those passwords for most jobs.
They cannot demand to open your physical mail, that's a federal felony. Why should email be different?

Its simple. I'm not giving out my personal passwords so I can work somewhere that will spy on my account and fire me for whatever standard it believes I should be held accountable to.

Cali doing things right.

California is one of the only states that seems to be able to stem the tides of corporate and government invasions of privacy and other "profit before people" decisions. For instance, if you're a California voter, be SURE to vote YES on Prop 37 (GMO Labeling).

This is actually surprising for California. When I read the headline,California Passes Social Media Spying Bill, I thought for sure CA would be allowing spying. Isn't this more of an anti-spying bill/law? It's a step in the right direction. I'm two states up and hope WA does the right thing, too.

well, they should have also made bill stating employer and school can't force them to tell their account info in all including what name they used and or they've to accept the place/people they work with into their social groups.

California is one of the only states that seems to be able to stem the tides of corporate and government invasions of privacy and other "profit before people" decisions. For instance, if you're a California voter, be SURE to vote YES on Prop 37 (GMO Labeling).

And that's exactly why no bill like this will ever see the light of day in a Republican state - too many corporate zealots.

Have you read the some of the editorials against Prop 37? It's laughable what hypocrites the opponents are. They claim to be in favor of government transparency, but as soon as the public decides to apply equal scrutiny to their company's precious profits, suddenly transparency becomes a costly behemoth that will drive up prices, achieve nothing, and lead to mass starvation.

Transparency at any level is a good thing.

The GMO labeling bill is more like the "Make Lawyers Lots of Money" bill.

I thought cali would be spying on all of us, too.

This is actually surprising for California. When I read the headline,California Passes Social Media Spying Bill, I thought for sure CA would be allowing spying. Isn't this more of an anti-spying bill/law? It's a step in the right direction. I'm two states up and hope WA does the right thing, too.

Living here in California, I'm actually suprised they didn't require everyone to send their passwords to some new state agency for save keeping.

As a California voter I'll be voting NO on 37, as it's just going to feed the lawyers.

If it just required labeling of food with GMO, I might be inclined to vote for it, but instead its going to create a huge number of shake down lawsuits against anyone involved in the food industry.

Specifically, it gives standing to individuals to file lawsuits against farmers, manufacturers, distributors, grocers and others suspected of violating the labeling law.

As a California voter I'll be voting NO on 37, as it's just going to feed the lawyers.

If it just required labeling of food with GMO, I might be inclined to vote for it, but instead its going to create a huge number of shake down lawsuits against anyone involved in the food industry.

Specifically, it gives standing to individuals to file lawsuits against farmers, manufacturers, distributors, grocers and others suspected of violating the labeling law.

I will be voting yes

"We oppose the proposition because it will cause higher grocery bills and lead to meritless, shakedown lawsuits," Fairbanks says.

Parrot the spokesperson from no on 37 much?

It's not going to lead to any frivolous lawsuits, how hard is it to write a few words on a package? The no on 37 campign is being funded by less than 50 groups.. People like Monsanto for clear and obvious reasons, labelling foods as GMO will be bad for their business. I don't want to eat GMO food ever, right now I do because I don't get to know what is GMO and what isn't. This is about my choice as a consumer to eat what I want. I don't believe GMO food is safe, I never have and I don't wish to eat it. As of this moment I am denied the knowledge as to what is and what isn't.
So maybe this is bad for monsanto but it is good for me, and fuck monsanto.

The American food industry is in need of a massive shake up. Almost all of it is badly run. From feeding cattle antibiotics to allowing the run off to give spinach and other crops E-coli and to GMO.

I'm British and comparing the way food is managed in Britain... We already went through sorting out greed and incompetence with Mad cow disease as a result food production in Britain is very well run now, GMO is banned... America could learn a lot.

A better question is, does every farmer know whether his crops have been contaminated by the GMO stuff being grown miles away? It happens.

I don't want to eat GMO food ever, right now I do because I don't get to know what is GMO and what isn't. This is about my choice as a consumer to eat what I want.

I refuse to accept that you cannot purchase non-GMO foods, that are likely already labeled in your local neighborhood yuppie store. Just because you're too lazy to do the research, or shop from a few sources doesn't mean that product packaging should be changed nationwide at the behest of one state in the union.

Some people just like to worry... and they for some reason feel safer when some incompetent government entity does the worrying for them, and coos "you're safe, we're looking out for you" in your ear.

Labeling something as GMO is like putting huge warnings on cigarette packs. Largely noneffective. People will continue to buy GMO foods.

A better question is, does every farmer know whether his crops have been contaminated by the GMO stuff being grown miles away? It happens.

It doesn't merely happen, it's commonplace. And is exactly where the lawsuits will start.

There's no reason the free market can't deal with this issue. If you care enough about GMO, buy foods that are marketed as not GMO. Sure, you may end up paying twice the price, but so be it. Why should people who don't care have to pay more? Considering food shortages that already occur, converting from GMO to non-GMO would expose us to even more risk.

It doesn't merely happen, it's commonplace. And is exactly where the lawsuits will start.

There's no reason the free market can't deal with this issue.
There are already lawsuits related to GMO crop contamination. Lawsuits by the big GMO companies against small farmers. Yeah... unregulated free market policies do a great job... at screwing the little guy.

There are already lawsuits related to GMO crop contamination. Lawsuits by the big GMO companies against small farmers. Yeah... unregulated free market policies do a great job... at screwing the little guy.

Exactly, it happens far too often as it is. This law passes, and it's only going to get worse.

Um 1984 happened almost 20 years ago.

It's so frustrating when someone is trying to make a profound statement that gets quickly followed up by tomfoolery - thereby belittling the point. :D (I've just been looking for a way to use that word, tomfoolery, all week. thanks. that is my 1884 word of the day)

Good - FUCK any company who demands passwords and email addresses for their employees personal accounts. It's wrong for any company to want that sort of info, plain and simple.

I hope the corporate fucktards who began this trend in the first place are having a wonderful day ;) (Fuck you)

:cool:

It's so frustrating when someone is trying to make a profound statement that gets quickly followed up by tomfoolery - thereby belittling the point. :D (I've just been looking for a way to use that word, tomfoolery, all week. thanks. that is my 1884 word of the day)

I'm always happy to help. Though I try not to do too much damage to the profound things since I very often will also make profound comments.

Almost 30 years in fact! And here we are, in 2012, with poor wittle corporations suffering under the unstoppable menace of the informed consumer!!!! :rolleyes:

Yes, 30...I must have made a minor mistake with calculations. Can I blame the math error in Pentium processors or has it been too long? :)

Good - FUCK any company who demands passwords and email addresses for their employees personal accounts. It's wrong for any company to want that sort of info, plain and simple.

I hope the corporate fucktards who began this trend in the first place are having a wonderful day ;) (Fuck you)

:cool:

Oh and +1 to this.

I am surprised by this thread.

Good things said about California on the hardforum? Maybe the first time ever.

Anyway, I will vote for Prop 37. The lax regulations of the Government will kill us all eventually.

The lax regulations of the Government will kill us all eventually.

People dominate resources and the oppress the wise --- I don't look for any governmental regulation to change that trend for centuries to come. If anything kills off humanity, it will be this nature of humanity's existence.

"We oppose the proposition because it will cause higher grocery bills and lead to meritless, shakedown lawsuits," Fairbanks says.

It's not going to lead to any frivolous lawsuits, how hard is it to write a few words on a package? The no on 37 campign is being funded by less than 50 groups.. People like Monsanto for clear and obvious reasons, labelling foods as GMO will be bad for their business. I don't want to eat GMO food ever, right now I do because I don't get to know what is GMO and what isn't. This is about my choice as a consumer to eat what I want. I don't believe GMO food is safe, I never have and I don't wish to eat it. As of this moment I am denied the knowledge as to what is and what isn't.

Then feel free to starve because we have about 4 billion more people on this planet then could be supported without GMO food. Here is the helpful hint..Basically everything is GMO to some degree at this point. There are lots of good causes to fight, this isn't one of them.

You're thinking artificial fertilizer, not GMO stuff.
The theoretical limit for population without artificial ammonia is ~3billion.
GMOs as the current usage defines them came far after that point.

Sidenote: The guy who figured out how to make artificial ammonia got a nobel chemistry prize. Same guy designed the war gasses used by the Nazis.

Then feel free to starve because we have about 4 billion more people on this planet then could be supported without GMO food. Here is the helpful hint..Basically everything is GMO to some degree at this point. There are lots of good causes to fight, this isn't one of them.

What a load a shit.

id bet 90%+ of what you eat as SOME THING that GMO in it what then?

So it's not just that Earth is way overpopulated, we just need new ways to increase consumption even more :rolleyes:

Just like radiation, GMO is not good or bad, it's the usage that is wrong. It's not like food companies are striving to make plants better, they want it to grow faster and people want cheap, ignoring quality. Kinda funny that food is WAY shittier in first world countries.

id bet 90%+ of what you eat as SOME THING that GMO in it what then?
Which is exactly why many people will vote for this bill. Because they want to have some idea of what is in the things they are eating.

Personally, I have no qualms about GMOs from a health standpoint (though I do have issues with growth hormones in meat and dairy but that's another topic). My problem is that we are tinkering with these plants without fully evaluating the environmental consequences, thinking that we can improve plants that have developed to coexist in a complex ecosystem over millions of years without any consequences for the health of that ecosystem. Maybe... but I have serious doubts.

Back