OS X Mountain Lion Passes 10% Adoption in One Month

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
An independent study has reported that Mountain Lion has surpassed a 10% adoption rate within the first month of availability. Initially, Mountain Lion was downloaded over three million times in four days, making this version the most successful release to date.

In comparison to OS X 10.7 Lion, Apple's latest offering continues to outperform, as the legacy operating system took three months to hit 14 percent of total Mac traffic. The firm believes Mountain Lion's growth rate will surpass Lion's within three weeks.

How many wild cats are left that don't have an OS named after them?

This 10% raise comes at no surprise. With just a $20 upgrade cost, you have to ask, "Why not?".

Meh, not really interested in OS/X until they remove the shackles and let people purchase and install it on non "Apple" hardware.

However, I am interested in this new breed of elephant, the Irrelephant. I'd like to learn more about it.

They could build OS X SkribbelKat. :D

However, I am interested in this new breed of elephant, the Irrelephant. I'd like to learn more about it.

I remember reading somewhere that Irrelephant Flightosus was the subspecies classification for Dumbo. You know, because of the big ears.

What does the Irrelephant have to do with the OP? Does the Irrelephant eat Apples? Is the Mountian Lion its natural enemy? Do they even share the same habitat? So many questions....

What do elephants have to do with anything?

Apparently you haven't seen me.... :D
35fzav.jpg

>$19.99 upgrade price from last 2 versions

>available from preinstalled app store application for convenience

>while disasters can happen, it's generally a smooth upgrade AND DOESN'T TAKE UP TO 5 HOURS LIKE A WINDOWS VERSION UPGRADE (of course that's if you don't get some cryptic message telling you windows is corrupt and the upgrade won't run)

>doesn't come in gimped versions... everyone gets OS X "Ultimate"

The quick adoption isn't much of a mystery.

(And before someone complains, I know that Windows upgrades can work smoothly and be done in less than an hour. But often it doesn't. fwiw, I do like Windows and use it as my primary OS.)

Do people actually do that? Are they insane!?
LOL

The more technically inclined will wipe and install, but MS does make upgrade versions and sell upgrade licenses. And really, if things are in good working order it does generally work. Otherwise, /shudder

I've never done the whole in-place upgrade thing with Windows on Vista or 7, but I shamefully admit I did it on a computers in the past becuase I didn't feel like flopping around all dead-fishy like with my PC for a day or two while I put stuff back the way it was before. It did work, but there was some BSOD-y oddness.

This 10% raise comes at no surprise. With just a $20 upgrade cost, you have to ask, "Why not?".

They've named their OS's after a few extinct cats.
Also lets not forget a Linux Os' price tage, zip, zero, nada.

Does this mean the next version might be called Saber Tooth Tiger possibly?

Being an extinct species, it may not scratch any surfaces. However, a "Tiger II" or "King Tiger" might purr quite well.

How can we forget with Linux fans constantly reminding us of its existence?
Those guys sneak in a Linux comment regardless of the topic. You could be talking about lawnmowers and they'll find away to plug Linux.

SkribbleKat said:
They could build OS X SkribbelKat. :D
For some reason I imagined the interface looking like it was drawn with crayons and the trash bin was a litter box.

Those guys sneak in a Linux comment regardless of the topic. You could be talking about lawnmowers and they'll find away to plug Linux.

If a lawnmower ran on Linux, it would cut grass twice as quickly by using far less fuel and would be totally impervious to being hacked into by the guy down the street that's jealous of you for it. Oh, and the OS is free! (Am I doing it right? :D)

For some reason I imagined the interface looking like it was drawn with crayons and the trash bin was a litter box.

It'd be the BEST OS EVER! :p

The Surface is already extinct? :eek::p

I hope not! I'm still working on digging a giant hole in the courtyard of my apartment complex so I have a place to hide when the Surface is wiped becuase it's covered in fingerprints. ;)

Haven't they yet realized that their propaganda campaign isn't...working?

i'll be honest with you man, as soon as i read it Pussy Cat came to my mind, than after long thinking i came up with nothing else and googled it.

so we've white lion left. but than again the way apple is going behind every major corporation, i think they need to make Coyote operating system, this will suit them perfectly.

i'll be honest with you man, as soon as i read it Pussy Cat came to my mind, than after long thinking i came up with nothing else and googled it.

so we've white lion left. but than again the way apple is going behind every major corporation, i think they need to make Coyote operating system, this will suit them perfectly.

Perfect... Coyote. I know the behavior of coyotes quite well.

>$19.99 upgrade price from last 2 versions

>available from preinstalled app store application for convenience

>while disasters can happen, it's generally a smooth upgrade AND DOESN'T TAKE UP TO 5 HOURS LIKE A WINDOWS VERSION UPGRADE (of course that's if you don't get some cryptic message telling you windows is corrupt and the upgrade won't run)

>doesn't come in gimped versions... everyone gets OS X "Ultimate"

The quick adoption isn't much of a mystery.

(And before someone complains, I know that Windows upgrades can work smoothly and be done in less than an hour. But often it doesn't. fwiw, I do like Windows and use it as my primary OS.)

Fair enough, however virtually every Windows user for the last 11 years is eligible for the Windows 8 Pro upgrade, the new Ultimate, for $40 through January 31, 2013. The only other version above Pro is Enterprise which really only has one feature over Pro, Windows To Go, which I don't believe has an equivalent in OS X.

You are correct, upgrade installs can be problematic but that's true of any OS and I wouldn't do an upgrade install for any OS honestly. However clean installs are astonishingly fast. I just put a 512 GB SSD in my Lenovo x220t convertible Tablet PC and with a Windows 8 Pro install from a USB drive the whole install and setup process took 9 minutes.

Speaking of propagandizing...

I did not bring up the subject of Windows upgrades. I simply responded to with facts that were not included the first post. I did state an opinion about upgrade installs which according even to you in Windows is not a good idea and I agreed with it though I believe that they are not the best option with any OS. So at least in part you were spreading the same "propaganda" I was.

The Nazis used a similar technique in many of their propaganda posters and leaflets.

I'm not sure they said "Fair enough..." and Heatlesssun is just a Microsoft employee, not anything like a Nazi. :( Microsoft just wants to have one UI to bring them all to darkness and bind them. That's a pretty noble corporate goal, except they're doing it with a kinda controversial design. :)

The Nazis used a similar technique in many of their propaganda posters and leaflets.

So in your mention of propaganda and Nazis you've provided no facts or even tried to refute them. You have become the thing which you criticize. Indeed the most telling sign of a Nazi and those that fear truth.

>while disasters can happen, it's generally a smooth upgrade AND DOESN'T TAKE UP TO 5 HOURS LIKE A WINDOWS VERSION UPGRADE (of course that's if you don't get som

Your right, it took days to get if you qualified for the free upgrade. Even if you bought a mac after it came out. Hell even the idiots at gamestop manage to print dlc on the receipt and apple use to just throw the upgrade disks in the box. They decided that doing something that smooth just wasn't worth it. The servers apple runs their stuff off of also are slow as crap compared to the MS ones and it took the hours you saved in the install to download. Took pretty much everyone I know a few hours to get it.

That being said I agree with the cheap price and the one license per apple id just makes it kinda a no brainer for many people. Other than apple cutting off a lot of apple computers that should be able to run the os without problem a lot of people will upgrade.

Back