Canada Minister Was Prepped if RIM CEO Talked Takeover

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
A report from Reuters reveals that high level talks had taken place back in March between senior Canadian officials and RIM CEO Thorsten Heins outlining takeover speculation of RIM by foreign investment concerns. Looks like RIM can’t sell or go bankrupt without the Canadian Government's approval.

The foreign investment law requires the minister to look at the effects of a proposed deal on economic activity in Canada.

Looks like RIM can’t sell or go bankrupt without the Canadian Government's approval.

Both are true.

RIM still has buttloads of cash so no bankruptcy. So no need to sell yet as they still have buttloads of cash, which even if they go broke I'm sure their assets and patents will still make them a valuable sale.

Government approval? Well, yeah. I mean, how many countries can claim to have a major (not so much now) cellphone maker? Japan, China, Korea, Finland, and Canada? That's sort of a big deal, not to mention it's something I'm sure Canada has pride in.

Personally, I think RIM isn't going to do anything as far as selling out until AFTER OS10 comes out...something that if RIM can market it right (which it always seems to fail at) might actually become popular! I can speak from experience and say that OS2.1 (what the Playbook has) is by and large the BEST mobile OS I've ever used, at least as far as interface and absolute fluidity and ease of use. After using Android and iOS for sooo long I'd LOVE to have a OS10 phone!

Who knows though, I guess we just gotta sit and wait!

Question: Does anyone know if I can exchange my BB 9930 at Sprint if RIM were to go under? :p

History will not be kind to our current conservative government ...

History will not be kind to our current conservative government ...

Let's hope. I'm not a fan of any politically party, but this batch is the most morally bereft, inept, loathsome bunch of ass-clowns to ever hold power. And that's me, holding my tongue.

Would love to see their latest (plead guilty to charges from the last election) electoral fraud investigation result into them losing their majority.

Back