Radeon 7850 $205 NO MiR!!!

Rauelius

2[H]4U
Last edited:
With the recent and rapid price drops from AMD, my guess is the 660 from Nvidia is going to be a monster.

With the recent and rapid price drops from AMD, my guess is the 660 from Nvidia is going to be a monster.

Isn't it more likely that AMD has finally cleared out their stock of 6xxx series cards?

>Sapphire
...NOPE.

back when I did bitcoin they were the most common to fail cards.

id rather get a 7950 if i was going to spend over $200. especially if i was considering to crossfire two 7850s

Yeah but for $100 more then a 7950 based on the recent sales?

It is not fair to say that they "Crush" a 7970, they are really not much faster at all. I'm sure in some scenarios they will even trail, or give you some xfire strife, but that might be worth it to safe $50-100 off the 7970 of I suppose.

meh, seems like the 660ti may be a little faster and for almost 100 bucks difference I'd take the amd card, nvidia needs to stop being so money hungry. Just an opinion.:D

5870 Launch Price $380 --->6970 Launch Price--->$370--->7970 Launch Price $550

I'd say AMD was being money hungry more so than nVidia...right now, nVidia went price insane during the launch of the GTX2xx series...it goes in cycles.

Finally a good deal on a card that has the right outputs to let me upgrade without buying additional monitor adapters for my Eyefinity setup :D

5870 Launch Price $380 --->6970 Launch Price--->$370--->7970 Launch Price $550

I'd say AMD was being money hungry more so than nVidia...right now, nVidia went price insane during the launch of the GTX2xx series...it goes in cycles.

Those are flagship LAUNCH prices, and the only one of those that was a bad launch price IMO is the 7970, but considering it was meant to compete with the 680 well it still isn't that bad.

Those are flagship LAUNCH prices, and the only one of those that was a bad launch price IMO is the 7970, but considering it was meant to compete with the 680 well it still isn't that bad.

ಠ_ಠ - That was my point.....

all the 7800 and 7900 series had horrible launch prices. that offered zero improvement per dollar over the cards they replaced. the 7970 was probably the worst offender by actually giving almost 10% LESS performance per dollar than the 6970 did at launch. with the gtx680, Nvidia at least gave about 35% MORE performance per dollar than the gtx580 at its launch price. not great but certainly better than the laughable launch price of the 7970.

Last edited:
all the 7800 and 7900 series had horrible launch prices. that offered zero improvement per dollar over the cards they replaced. the 7970 was probably the worst offender by actually giving almost 10% LESS performance per dollar than the 6970 did at launch. with the gtx680, Nvidia at least gave about 35% MORE performance per dollar than the gtx580 at its launch price. not great but certainly better than the laughable launch price of the 7970.

what the hell are you on about? 7970 was significantly faster than gtx 580 which cost the same price as the 7970 at launch. more performance for the same money=value. hope that helps. keep in mind 680 was not available at this time.

or else, you will have to say gtx 580 was complete and total crap, since it offered even less performance per dollar than 7970...

it may not have been the price you wanted, but it was certainly justified.

what the hell are you on about? 7970 was significantly faster than gtx 580 which cost the same price as the 7970 at launch. more performance for the same money=value. hope that helps. keep in mind 680 was not available at this time.

or else, you will have to say gtx 580 was complete and total crap, since it offered even less performance per dollar than 7970...

it may not have been the price you wanted, but it was certainly justified.
AGAIN all the 7800 and 7900 cards offered no more performance per dollar than the cards they replaced. and AGAIN the 7970 offered LESS performance per dollar than the 6970. that is a JOKE for a next gen release. I dont care about the gtx580 at all as that was already a card that offered piss poor value from the last gen even before the 7970 ever came out. but yeah congratulations AMD for coming out with a next gen card that beats a last gen card and then charging even more for it. if that happened all the time can you even imagine what video cards would cost?

AGAIN all the 7800 and 7900 cards offered no more performance per dollar than the cards they replaced. and AGAIN the 7970 offered LESS performance per dollar than the 6970. that is a JOKE for a next gen release. I dont care about the gtx580 at all as that was already a card that offered piss poor value from the last gen even before the 7970 ever came out. but yeah congratulations AMD for coming out with a next gen card that beats a last gen card and then charging even more for it. if that happened all the time can you even imagine what video cards would cost?

And for all your WHINING AND CRYING, the 7970 cards STILL SOLD LIKE HOTCAKES.
Since AMD (Ati) made some nice money on these cards, and people were still willing to buy them up, perhaps AMD (Ati) knows more about making money than you do. Just a thought...

You should consider not trolling, people would like you more. Especially in a deals thread.

$195 for a 7850 is awesome.

And for all your WHINING AND CRYING, the 7970 cards STILL SOLD LIKE HOTCAKES.
Since AMD (Ati) made some nice money on these cards, and people were still willing to buy them up, perhaps AMD (Ati) knows more about making money than you do. Just a thought...
gee of course it sold well. it was the only next gen card that was out. it could have been 750 bucks and most of you still would have bought it. all I am saying is that they were a poor value compared to previous launches and offered no more performance for the money. they simply raised the prices at the same or higher than they went up performance.

gee of course it sold well. it was the only next gen card that was out. it could have been 750 bucks and most of you still would have bought it. all I am saying is that they were a poor value compared to previous launches and offered no more performance for the money. they simply raised the prices at the same or higher than they went up performance.

Nonsense, it was much faster than a GTX 580 for the same price.

Case in point to this thread, a 7850 isn't that much slower than a 580 (considering 7870 goes toe to toe with 580), for now nearing 1/3 the 580 price 6 months ago. I'd call that excellent improvement.

Nonsense, it was much faster than a GTX 580 for the same price.

Case in point to this thread, a 7850 isn't that much slower than a 580 (considering 7870 goes toe to toe with 580), for now nearing 1/3 the 580 price 6 months ago. I'd call that excellent improvement.
so people like you need everything repeated to them over and over and over. the 7970 was about 40% faster than the 6970 and cost about 50% more. that is LESS performance per dollar than the previous gen. usually next gen cards offer MORE performance per dollar for the cards they replace.

so people like you need everything repeated to them over and over and over. the 7970 was about 40% faster than the 6970 and cost about 50% more. that is LESS performance per dollar than the previous gen. usually next gen cards offer MORE performance per dollar for the cards they replace.

I don't think a lot of people understand what performance per dollar means. While this card is a good deal based on currently available hardware, AMD certainly hasn't been moving the bar much with each release. They just keep selling slightly better cards at various price points since the 58xx series came out.

Pretty sure the 7970 offered more performance per dollar than the previous fastest card the 580. I'll repeat it for you yet again.

I don't think a lot of people understand what performance per dollar means. While this card is a good deal based on currently available hardware, AMD certainly hasn't been moving the bar much with each release. They just keep selling slightly better cards at various price points since the 58xx series came out.

Mmmkay, I'm not sure what part of this you dont understand.

7850 sits between a 6950 and 6970 performance wise, closer to the 6970. It's much cheaper than the 6970 was.

I agree pricing was not amazing at first, but I'm not sure why only AMD keeps being brought up here either, as by nature they conform to each others prices. If you're mad at AMD over initial 7970 pricing, why arent you mad at Nvidia for keeping the 580 at $500+ dollars weeks after the 7970 release?

And again, how can you trash AMD pricing, when Nvidia's was not much better? The 680 came out at $500, only $50 less than 7970, and wasn't much faster. This still created a situation where 7970 was undesirable, so what do you know, AMD lowered the 7970 price.

By this token the 7970 ghz edition should be MORE expensive than 680 since the average of most benchmarks says it's faster. Where is your criticism of Nvidia?

The bottom line is AMD doesn't conform to your idea of what prices should be. They conform to the market. As does Nvidia.

Further, you dont even know what costs are. Maybe 28nm cost more than 40nm. Maybe thats why pricing was initially high.

It took a while but good deals are now plentiful. Sorry but the process shrinks are not as fruitful as they used to be, I dont think price/performance will advance quite as fast anymore.

And again, your entire post focus on AMD baffles me. AMD cannot do anything Nvidia doesnt let them and vice versa. Every video card is always priced according to it's performance give or take.

If you say AMD is offering slightly better cards at each price point since 58XX, it can only be because Nvidia is doing the same.

Last edited:
Pretty sure the 7970 offered more performance per dollar than the previous fastest card the 580. I'll repeat it for you yet again.
and? that changes nothing about the 7970 having less performance per dollar than the 6970 it replaced.

and? that changes nothing about the 7970 having less performance per dollar than the 6970 it replaced.

Performance per dollar is not how you price a product if it cost more to manufacture.

This isn't Candy Land. A Ferrari doesn't cost $60k just because its "performance per dollar" is two times some lax bro's Subaru WRX.

The 7970 has more features, better compute performance, took more R&D work, and is placed differently in the market than the 6970 despite the same general nomenclature.

You aren't the dictator of price, market goods pricing doesn't/shouldn't generally just follow a single aspect of a product.

Back