Fractal Design Define R4 Case

HardOCP News

[H] News
If you are looking for a case that will help keep the noise level of your computer to a minimum, Hardware Secrets recommends the Fractal Design Define R4.

The Fractal Design Define R4 is a very nice case for users worried about the noise level produced by the PC. The quality is top-notch and its price is right, making the Define R4 a terrific buy.

Is it me, or does the name "Fractal Design" inspire some sort of creative visual of an artsy case design. I clicked the link and found a plain black case and was sadly disappointed...

I've used 3 fractal cases and there is no disappointment. It's simple yet effective in everything pretty much.

I'm not saying they are bad or poor quality, just a bit misleading with a name like that. :(

Do an image search for fractal design.

And ? Fractal Design is a name of the company. Define R4 is the name of the case. It is like expecting a fire from Thermaltake, sub-zero CPU temperatures because you use TIM from Artic Cooling or ArcticSilver, cases made from silver and stone from Silverstone,... :D

i followed a link from the review to a matx version of this case and its amazing. Cable routing looks to be outstanding. Could be my next case.

I absolutely love both of my Fractal Design cases. For the price you simply cannot find a better case. The acoustics are great as well, mine is just about silent, even with the stock fans.

Just bought an R3 last week. Wondering if I should return it. Does the R3 even have USB 3 ports (EDIT: yes it's a newer model with USB3)? Only bought it because it was a great value case and wasn't 100% satisfied with anything out there, didn't want to compromise on an expensive high end case.

Last edited:
@Tisca: It really depends. R3 is a good case, it all comes down to these facts :
- do you need the case now ? It will take some time for these to show up in shops. The review samples are that - review samples.
- do you want the removable hard drive bay(s) ? Those are the biggest change in my eyes compared to R3, where the drive bays are fixed.
- will you miss the watercooling holes at the back (R4 has none).

@Tisca: It really depends. R3 is a good case, it all comes down to these facts :
- do you need the case now ? It will take some time for these to show up in shops. The review samples are that - review samples.
- do you want the removable hard drive bay(s) ? Those are the biggest change in my eyes compared to R3, where the drive bays are fixed.
- will you miss the watercooling holes at the back (R4 has none).
Don't need it right now. It's still unopened in the box. My build is on hold since I'm moving first of August and sometime next month Intel is discounting the SSD I plan on getting. No idea when the R4 will be out. I got the R3 on a discount that's not available anymore (79€) so if I'd return it and the R4 wouldn't be out within a month it would be a bad choice.
WC holes and removable bays are not big of a deal. the 140mm fans I see as a plus and more room for cables in the back.

Looks like the incorporated designs from all their new cases and fixed all the obvious problems with the R3. Make me want to upgrade.

They're already listed on newegg and it says in stock... I wonder if that's true. I'm tempted to order one now just to find out.

anandtech did a review on the case and was NOT happy about the thermals nor the acoustics. Said its a great case for the price but needs more work

@4LC4PON3: Anandtech doesn't say that anywhere. All that Anandtech says that it is not a good choice for a highend overclocked system because you have to run the stock fans at higher voltage setting. What a surprise - stock cooling optimized for quietness can't handle that. Get some Air Penetrators or Gentle Typhoons there, and it will be fine.

Sorry, but Anandtech's case reviewer sucks compared to other sites in my opinion. I love Anand, and most of their staff/reviews are excellent, but the guy doing their cases has horrible methodology and makes weird conclusions often.

The one update I have mixed opinions is the venting above the rear the 120mm exhaust (though less problematic for me since I use positive pressure). I wonder how solid the the removable HD cage design is though, whether or not it trades off function for noise (rattle compared to a non removable). Overall great improvements, thinking about trying to sell my R3 for one of these, gives me an excuse to rebuild and recable as well.

The Bit-tech review though also shows the cooling performance is worse then the R3 (for the GPU).

That only means the stock 14cm fan in R4 is probably a bit worse than the old stock 12cm fan in R3. But who uses stock fans anyway :).

Back