Tortuaco

n00b
My current PC Setup is:
Cpu: i5 2500k
Mobo: P8Z68v- LX
Cooling: H100 (on its way)
Ram: Cheap 4GB 800Mhz
HDD: 1TB 7200RPM
PSU: Cooler master 500Watt (upgrading to 750W)
No Graphics card using Intel's HD 3000

I currently looking to upgrade my ram to 8gb or buy an SSD. I found a Patriot Inferno 60Gb for $50 locally, so price difference is not really an issue. Which one should i buy? I'm not that into PC gaming, I'm using my computer as a "Touch Table" which runs some applications on the background.

P.S. I don't know if this is normal it probably is, but i have 4gb of Physical RAM but windows shows that only 2161 Mbs are available, 1.5 GB to 1.9 GB are always on idle.

Thanks,
Carlos

An SSD would make a notable improvement, but some SSDs perform better than others. Price aside, I'd recommend something along the lines of the Crucial M4 or Samsung 830 instead of the Patriot Inferno if you're looking for a true performance boost.

Are you using a 32-bit version of Windows? It's likely that the i5-2500K's embedded GPU is using up some of the RAM for its needs (in addition to what Windows is using). Are you using one stick of RAM or two?

2500K seems like such a waste in that application. Buy a cheap i3, sell the 2500K to someone that'll actually use its power, and buy a bigger SSD (128 or 256GB) of higher quality. The Inferno drives are just so-so. Plextor M3 / Crucial M4 / Samsung 830 are the big players there.

An SSD would make a notable improvement, but some SSDs perform better than others. Price aside, I'd recommend something along the lines of the Crucial M4 or Samsung 830 instead of the Patriot Inferno if you're looking for a true performance boost.

Are you using a 32-bit version of Windows? It's likely that the i5-2500K's embedded GPU is using up some of the RAM for its needs (in addition to what Windows is using). Are you using one stick of RAM or two?

I'm using windows 7 64 bit and only one 4gb stick. What are the best SSD brands?

2500K seems like such a waste in that application. Buy a cheap i3, sell the 2500K to someone that'll actually use its power, and buy a bigger SSD (128 or 256GB) of higher quality. The Inferno drives are just so-so. Plextor M3 / Crucial M4 / Samsung 830 are the big players there.
I already have the i5 2500k (got for $100 from a friend :)) also the applications i use are pretty CPU demanding that why i got a Corsair H100 (got it for $70 +2 200mm fans) I currently heats up to 70C when running the apps.

Ok thanks for the fast replies. :D
Also is Intel smart Response Good? For example Using 40GB for SRT and the rest for Windows? would that work.:confused: Or should i stick with using the SSD separate?

Unless you have a really small SSD (like 40GB) it is better to just use it separately as a boot/primary applications drive.

You may want to get an OCZ drive. OCZ AGT3-25SAT3-60G you can find for about $60-65

On account of OCZ's poor customer support, it's best to avoid them at all costs.

You may want to get an OCZ drive. OCZ AGT3-25SAT3-60G you can find for about $60-65

Nice to know we have an OCZ representative here :)

Get a 128GB SSD at least, the Crucial/Plextor/Samsung suggestions made previously are excellent. OCZ have a track record of buggy firmware in their SSDs and below average customer support.

On account of OCZ's poor customer support, it's best to avoid them at all costs.
Poor customer support is being generous, poor products and shady business practice is more accurate: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=669226

I've personally had a sour experience with OCZ back in the X58 era when I bought 6 sticks of RAM, of which, two of them were later found to be defective. Never again.

Just keep your eyes open for a deal on a 128gb Crucial M4, Plextor M3, or Samsung 830. They have crazy sale prices from time to time as low as $80-90. Well worth the little extra money for the quality, speed, extra capacity, and customer service over the crap brands.

RAM upgrade will only benefit you if you are currently using all 4GB (and need more), which is unlikely (because if you needed more than 4GB, you would know it).

I would go with the SSD. They are fairly noticeable bump in performance.

Get Ram now and the SSD later. Why? Ram is dirt cheap now and SSD will only come down in price later. Plus the HD u got now is no slouch. A 4gb to 16gb ram upgrade is much more worthwhile for you.

If he isn't using the left over ram he has now, adding more wont help anything.

If he isn't using the left over ram he has now, adding more wont help anything.

This. He will see a vast improvement if he did the SSD switch than the RAM. I hope he saw the great deal for the OCZ 120GB for $69.99AMIR yesterday. That was a heck of a steal and it was one of OCZs better models too.

This. He will see a vast improvement if he did the SSD switch than the RAM. I hope he saw the great deal for the OCZ 120GB for $69.99AMIR yesterday. That was a heck of a steal and it was one of OCZs better models too.

As what should be pretty common knowledge by now in the enthusiast community, no OCZ model is good just due to lack of customer support and shitty business practices. Much better to spend an extra $10-20 and go with a proven reliable unit from a company that actually cares about the products they make and the customers that buy them like the 128gb Crucial, Samsung, or Plextor.

As what should be pretty common knowledge by now in the enthusiast community, no OCZ model is good just due to lack of customer support and shitty business practices. Much better to spend an extra $10-20 and go with a proven reliable unit from a company that actually cares about the products they make and the customers that buy them like the 128gb Crucial, Samsung, or Plextor.

Agreed.

Get SSD. You will be happy.
If you get more RAM you will not see any performance increase. Sorry to tell that.

Ok after reviewing your case again, I will switch my opinion to getting an SSD now.

Back