This Hard Drive Deal is NUTS!

Looks like they really went through the effort and also tossed in a USB device in there so when you plug it in, it fakes the status of the device.

Is there anything they won't fake? Mach 3 razor blades, Nikes, dog food, etc.

Looks like they really went through the effort and also tossed in a USB device in there so when you plug it in, it fakes the status of the device.

There was a big problem on ebay a few years back(might even still be an issue today) where the chinese counterfeiters were tweaking 64MB USB flash drives to appear as 8GB or larger drives(but of course they didn't actually have the capacity), so I'm not surprised about this at all really.

There was a big problem on ebay a few years back(might even still be an issue today) where the chinese counterfeiters were tweaking 64MB USB flash drives to appear as 8GB or larger drives(but of course they didn't actually have the capacity), so I'm not surprised about this at all really.

It wasn't just on ebay. I bought a sandisk 4GB drive for like 100$ at Bestbuy, years back. It worked for a while, probably close to a year and then crapped out. When I tried to get warranty support on it, turns out it was a counterfeit.

I don't think I've bought anything at Bestbuy since.

It wasn't just on ebay. I bought a sandisk 4GB drive for like 100$ at Bestbuy, years back. It worked for a while, probably close to a year and then crapped out. When I tried to get warranty support on it, turns out it was a counterfeit.

I don't think I've bought anything at Bestbuy since.

this happened to me at tigerdirect/compusa also

bought a 16gb sd card, could only hold 8gb manufacturer said it was counterfeit tiger/compusa didn't want to do anything about it because it had been more than 30 days :rolleyes:

for a moment, I was about to curse myself because I bought two new 2TB drives 3 days ago from NewEgg for $89 apiece and I thought THAT was nuts.

But then I realized you were really talking about nuts.

I'm like mentally envisioning them just slathering hot glue over these bolts....looks like a mass produced product...I'd go f'n ballistic if I ever bought somethin like that.

the chinese make fakes, and they suck at it too.

I have never seen a fake with straight lettering. Look at that crooked shit on the back of the case.

Even worse, legit made in china stuff (like exercise machines and others) are just as crookedly put together.

I have never seen a fake with straight lettering. Look at that crooked shit on the back of the case.

Even worse, legit made in china stuff (like exercise machines and others) are just as crookedly put together.

Hey, cut the children a break. Let's see you place stickers on devices properly with carpal tunnel hands. :D

Whoa whoa whoa. There's quite clearly a Samsung logo on that box :p

How many RPM can those bolts take? 7200 or higher and I'm sold.

Except for my leather racing suit that has held up perfectly through two high speed crashes on the race track.

Retarded generalization ftw. Vaguely racist implications for bonus points.

I once bought a pair of "Reobek" tennis shoes, looked exactly like "Reebok" except for the spelling, the third or so time I put them on the whole sole ripped off. :rolleyes:

They were very cheap though :p

Except for my leather racing suit that has held up perfectly through two high speed crashes on the race track.

Agreed. The Chinese CAN and DO make some very good products, just ask Uncle Sam who purchases billions in Military equipment from The People's Republic of China every year. May be "Made in China", but it works well for our boys on the field.

China isn't a race. Neither are the Chinese. There are a huge amount of ethnicities in that country.

Oh wow, this is completely new tech no? Can someone explain to me how the hot glue and threaded bolts retain data? :D

Agreed. The Chinese CAN and DO make some very good products, just ask Uncle Sam who purchases billions in Military equipment from The People's Republic of China every year. May be "Made in China", but it works well for our boys on the field.

It's not like the Military doesn't have counterfeit issues with parts sourced from China, right?

"Inquiry Into Counterfeit Electronic Parts In The Department Of Defense Supply Chain" (PDF)
http://www.levin.senate.gov/download/?id=24b3f08d-02a3-42d0-bc75-5f673f3a8c93

Maybe not...:D

The Berry Amendment has a bunch of subclauses allowing "exemptions" for many off the shelf parts. There has been some worry about trojans being implanted in computer chips that are obtained that way.

At least they had the good sense to provide two nuts with the two bolts.

I thought that they were all supposed to come with two nuts. I mean, how else do you put the hard in hard drive without having the right number of nuts? :confused:

Care to expound on this? I cant think of a single item of US Issue gear I have that is Made In China...and thanks to Uncle Sam, I have roughly 3 duffel bags full of "gear"...

Back