2012 Venus Transit Photo

Wow, great picture! Nasa is always great at taking neat photos!

Good Photoshop job there Nasa. Just make sure that the corona effects are turned up next time to add that extra dazzle.....

J/K, that's a really cool photo they took. I wonder what's all involved to get those amazing shots.

Good Photoshop job there Nasa. Just make sure that the corona effects are turned up next time to add that extra dazzle.....

J/K, that's a really cool photo they took. I wonder what's all involved to get those amazing shots.

Their heliophysics satellite, the SDO.
I had my telescope and camera handy and got some pictures myself.
2012-06-05%2018.11.44.jpg

If you are referring to the ring of yellow all the around the planet, I think that is due to the atmosphere reflecting/refracting/warping the light.

I got your corona effects right here!!

FXQR.jpg

Can we have a moment of silence to remember the women who lived on Venus. Their planet came too close to the sun and now all life on Venus is no more.

shhhh....

;)

Thanks to the photography director of the movie "SUNSHINE"
They took almost the same image...

Awesome pictures, NASA! Very cool thing that we got to experience in our lifetime that the next few generations will not be able to.

Can we have a moment of silence to remember the women who lived on Venus. Their planet came too close to the sun and now all life on Venus is no more.

shhhh....

;)

Are you talking about all those Leather Goddesses of Phobos? That's Mars, not Venus!

Thanks to the photography director of the movie "SUNSHINE"
They took almost the same image...

The planet in Sunshine was Mercury not Venus ;)

Also the reason it appears Venus is going around the northern hemisphere of the Sun is that the Sun is fucking HUGE. Its roughly 870,000 miles in diameter and Venus is about the size of the Earth (very close at least) and is about 9,000 miles in diameter. So its David passing by Goliath truly.

Also the reason it appears Venus is going around the northern hemisphere of the Sun is that the Sun is fucking HUGE.

I'd imagine it's because of our orbital inclination. The orbits of the planets aren't perfectly aligned with the Sun's equator. Earth's orbit is inclined by ~7°, Venus by ~3°. When we watch another planet pass in front of the Sun we see it at a slight angle.

Back