AMD A-Series APUs Win 2012 Best Choice of COMPUTEX Award

HardOCP News

[H] News
AMD today announced its AMD A-Series APUs (Accelerated Processing Units) are winners of the 2012 Best Choice of COMPUTEX TAIPEI award, the second consecutive win for the product family. The award is given by the Taipei Computer Association, a driving force behind the annual event and the leading technology organization in the country. Extensive reviews are conducted by a panel of esteemed government officials, academics, research analysts, editors-in-chief of key media outlets and industry experts to select winning products based on outstanding design and cutting-edge technology in 10 product categories.

AMD takes the prize in laptops, that's for sure. Servers too. But I'm still waiting to see how well Trinity performs for the desktop before I make the next upgrade.

I really like my A8 laptop. Great stuff.

Now AMD needs to tackle software integration for these APUs to really show what they can do...

I doubt it compares to sb or ib so I wouldn't hold my breath.

Yeah I'm probably going Ivy Bridge Core i5 next round for my desktop replacement, but I'm waiting for Trinity to see if it's a viable upgrade for my HTPC which is currently running an Athlon 64 x2 3200+ and 4GB RAM with a Geforce 210 graphics card.

I'm hoping the Trinity runs very cool and that the integrated GPU can beat the pants off a Geforce 210, which I have no doubt it could.

I know I could go Core i3, but I wouldn't mind the extra oomph from AMD's graphics over Intel's HD4000.

AMD A-Series APUs are the best choice when you're looking for something in the AMD A-Series range of APUs, I'm sure.

AMD A-Series APUs are the best choice when you're looking for something in the AMD A-Series range of APUs, I'm sure.

They are better than anything Intel has to offer when it comes to anything except high performance computers.

For 99% of computer users an AMD APU greatly exceeds their needs.

They are better than anything Intel has to offer when it comes to anything except high performance computers.

Don't be silly. Everyone encodes video files and time RAR compression and decompression.

Don't be silly. Everyone encodes video files and time RAR compression and decompression.

And perish the thought AMD is working with the Handbrake & Winzip developers to integrate an Open CL option.

:p

I built an A8 machine for my mom and it has been awesome. It definitely surpassed my expectations.

So for those people they should get the much cheaper b960 laptops?

The only problem I have with the apu's is the choked gpu.

So for those people they should get the much cheaper b960 laptops?

The only problem I have with the apu's is the choked gpu.

The GPU can only be so powerful given the TDP issue, but I've generally been pretty satisfied with them on the Llano A8s, it's certainly enough for your typical MMO or FPS if you don't insist on running at very high resolutions or turning up the eye candy too much.

It kind of blows my mind how far things have come on the GPU side since the 780G back in early 08 which itself was considered very impressive for an integrated GPU.

As much as I think it would be cool to see APUs get to the point where they are totally fine running all games at medium settings, I admit the outcome could be terrible for enthusiasts in the long run.

Wouldn't we basically be teasing developers to ditch us and go right for the mainstream market? I mean consoles have already watered down PC games for years, wouldn't decent and capable integrated graphics cause PCs to water themselves down?

AMD takes the prize in laptops, that's for sure. Servers too.

I'm not sure where that logic comes from because it's not my observation. Everything I come across with AMD is a let down, and I work in technology and manage servers for a living, I do not think they take any prize except for just being able to survive as a price reducing competition to Intel.

Servers... Not so much right now, but AMD definitely has some of the best chips for laptops.

Hope they are less conservative with their A10 them they were with their A8 series. By experience the A8 & A6 both undervolt AND overclock like crazy (yes at the same time). Which means AMD left a LOT of potential performance on the table unused, just like the 7970. Good for enthusiasts, but less so commercially.

The GPU can only be so powerful given the TDP issue, but I've generally been pretty satisfied with them on the Llano A8s, it's certainly enough for your typical MMO or FPS if you don't insist on running at very high resolutions or turning up the eye candy too much.

It kind of blows my mind how far things have come on the GPU side since the 780G back in early 08 which itself was considered very impressive for an integrated GPU.

I always had problems with the 780's, which I think were 3200 gpu's. I was looking forward to the new A10 mainly because of the increased ipc and more powerful gpu, but it became incremental due to the memory constraints. I think they would benefit from having an apu on the market that doesn't get cut down to make ultra low tdp values.

like a high clocked dual-core with an upgraded higher clocked gpu.

I always had problems with the 780's, which I think were 3200 gpu's. I was looking forward to the new A10 mainly because of the increased ipc and more powerful gpu, but it became incremental due to the memory constraints. I think they would benefit from having an apu on the market that doesn't get cut down to make ultra low tdp values.

I wouldn't consider 100W TDP Ultra low. More like 45W-65W is low right?

Back