High-Tech Ways The Government Spies On You

HardOCP News

[H] News
This article talks about the high-tech ways the government spies on you. Thankfully they haven't started monitoring tin foil purchases yet, meaning we still have time to make hats! :D

Fast forward to 2012, when the U.S. government actually has the tools and capabilities to spy on all its citizens. These eyes go well beyond red light cameras. Right now, the government is tracking the movements of private citizens by GPS, reading private citizens' emails, and possibly even reading what you're saying on Facebook. It does so all in the name of law enforcement and Homeland Security.

So looks like the Gov can only read your status if you set it to public? Does that mean the Gov can read my post here, but not what we post in genmay? :D

The first rule of GenMay is don't talk about GenMay :)

"And encryption won't protect you — one of the facility's priorities is breaking even the most complex of codes."

^ I call BS on this statement.

When you talk about the loss of privacy on the Internet, I get confused because it's like talking about the loss of unicorns from the forest. I don't know why anyone ever thought there was any.

When you talk about the loss of privacy on the Internet, I get confused because it's like talking about the loss of unicorns from the forest. I don't know why anyone ever thought there was any.

There was never any privacy on the internet. Whats changed is that before there was no one lurking outside your window. Now, there are people everywhere lurking around. Before, breaking the law on the internet was hard. Now, its so very easy.

Privacy is not the default setting, obviously, but there are in fact ways to make things private and those methods are being attacked slowly as well. Privacy isn't as popular now because it requires effort and most people don't like effort, they want decisions made for them and they want things to "just work". The heavier the hand gets the more this will bolster the "underground" or completely fragment the internet. E.g. http://www.opennicproject.org/

absolutely right, however, the govt. just turned into the creepy peeping tom you usually call the govt. to come and get rid of.

Who watches the watchers? and moreover considering the methods...How the hell do these guys justify BEING scumbags in order to catch scumbags?

I already knew all of that, but still every time I read it I get more and more angry. It amazes me that people are either to stupid or apathetic to even vote for representation who will do everything in their power to put an end to things like this.

How come "Its the Government" when one party has the office and "Its President _____" when the other party is in office.

^^^^ maybe this is the problem.

Back