Intel HD 4000 Ivy Bridge Graphics On Linux

HardOCP News

[H] News
Just a heads up to all of you alternative OS types out there, there is an article on Intel's Ivy Bridge graphics on Linux posted today at Phoronix that all of you should check out.

Up now is our first look at the Intel HD 4000 "Gen7" graphics performance for the Ivy Bridge processors under Linux. Building upon what's turned into a huge success for Intel with their Sandy Bridge graphics with admirable performance and stable open-source Linux drivers, Ivy Bridge volleys Intel's Linux graphics capabilities into a whole new realm for those concerned about open-source graphics drivers.

There was news that this week was going to be a big week for Linux gaming. Phoronix went to see Gabe Newell about something. It's Tuesday and I didn't hear anything. I am disappoint.

I bet Gabe isn't letting Michael spill any beans on the subject - if there are any beans that is.

I hope it's Dota 2 for Linux! HoN is on Linux. I'm just lazy and don't want to have to reboot the server into windows for another LAN machine.

Best thing from that article:
Valve and Gabe Newell's interest in Linux goes beyond what would be expected of any normal game company, but Valve is certainly a unique beast. Listening to Gabe Newell talk about Linux for hours made me wonder whether he was a former ex-Microsoft employee (where he actually did work in his pre-Valve days in the 90's) or the director of the Linux Foundation. His level of Linux interest and commitment was incredible while his negativity for Windows 8 and the future of Microsoft was stunning. In fact, as soon as I return to my office this weekend I plan to try out Windows 8 simply to see if it's as bad as Gabe states and because he's curious about my opinions of this latest Microsoft operating system.

Even the mighty Gaben hates the Metro interface it seems. I guess we will not be seeing a Metro version of Steam then. I wonder how many Microsoft employees also think Win 8 is a disaster.

Back