Torvalds Receives 2012 Millennium Technology Prize

HardOCP News

[H] News
Linus Torvalds has received the 2012 Millennium Technology Prize for his ongoing work on Linux. Torvalds will be given his award at a ceremony in Helsinki this June.

Torvalds was named a 2012 laureate by the Technology Academy of Finland for his creation and ongoing contributions to the open-source operating system. Created in 2004, the awards recognize "technological innovation that significantly improves the quality of human life, today and in the future" every two years.

I'll be looking forward to Linux after Windows 8 is released.

images

I'm glad. Along with Stallman and a few others, this guy profoundly changed the world of technology, yet he lives a life of great humility (aside from being sharply opinionated) next to the corporate types who are praised as great technological innovators for putting a well-marketed coat of paint on underlying technology that someone else engineered. Torvalds stood on the shoulders of giants too, but he's far more deserving of recognition than most of the guys who have their faces plastered on magazine covers.

I was glad to see this because they usually hand out prestigious awards to the least deserving simply for political reasons (Al Gore, Obama)

Back