Making Facebook into an Unsocial Network

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Zuckerberg and Company have turned a collective deaf ear to all who have requested a very simply addition to Facebook’s features: a dislike button. Necessity is the mother of invention it has been said, so it was inevitable that someone would create a plug-in for that also.

Real-world relationships are more complicated than that, so social networks should be too, the scholar argues. He's not alone—more than three million people have voted for a "dislike" feature on an online petition on Facebook.

Maybe Zuckerberg isn't implementing a "dislike" button because he's already planning to implement a "fuck you" button?

We can only hope.

Of course they don't want a "dislike" button. How many companies do you think would yank their pages if people could start leaving negative feedback? And that, of course, would hurt facebooks bottom line.

Facebook is pretty catastrophic as it is. Introducing a dislike button would likely destroy Facebook. People will hate other people because...

Religion
Movies
Music
comments
Stupid pictures

Now throw a dislike button on there, and you'll have some major issues.

Didn't they do this with eBay some years back, while yeah you can leave negative feedback it's gets so buried in all the 'positive" feedback they may have that it makes finding it damn near impossible.

After all who cares if someone doesn't like it, that person isn't paying the server bills

Of course they don't want a "dislike" button. How many companies do you think would yank their pages if people could start leaving negative feedback? And that, of course, would hurt facebooks bottom line.

Bingo. Follow the money.

I think it would be fun to see it happen but I can understand why they would not do it. Youtube has it and we all know how well that works out lol.

Exactly!!!! They don't care about the people-on-people dislikes. It's all about making money, and "dislikes" on adverts/companies would not be good for business...

Didn't they do this with eBay some years back, while yeah you can leave negative feedback it's gets so buried in all the 'positive" feedback they may have that it makes finding it damn near impossible.

After all who cares if someone doesn't like it, that person isn't paying the server bills
I think I know what you are talking about. A few years ago they made a new rule that sellers cannot leave negative feedback anymore. Sellers can't leave even neutral feedback either.
It doesn't matter how much a buyer tries to scam the seller or whatever, the seller cannot leave honest feedback as a warning to others. If you try to get around this by leaving a positive with something that can be interpreted as a negative comment, then you get in trouble for it.

No suprises - can you imagine companies paying cash for advertising and then seeing it has 50 likes and 500 dislikes? ;)

When you get random "friend" requests from your dermatologist and bitchy hospital office clerks that you have met for about 1 minute each, Facebook already is an unsocial network.

Bingo. Follow the money.

It's not even that, though.

I've been on a few forums that did have a 'dislike' button. Problem is that these are GOLDMINES for 'trolls' or 'bullies'. They'd just pick someone at random, and go through every single thing they posted, 'disliking' it. Every picture, every comment, everything the person posts on other people's contributions (here it would be wall post comments), etc.

It caused a lot of people to leave the forums because the, well, what amounts to the forum equivalent of 'griefers', were just ruining everyone else's experience for fun.

The best compromise turns out to be exactly what Facebook has. You can 'like' something, and if there appears to be a TOS violation (spam/something illegal/etc), you can privately flag it for moderators to review. But if you don't have anything nice to say, basically, don't say anything at all.

a dislike button would introduce more unnecessary negativity into the environment. If something a popular person posts gets no "likes" it's pretty clear people either don't care about or dislike it. What more does a poster really need to know?

There have been a few times I have wished there were a dislike button for when shitty things happen to people you know like deaths, got in car accident etc. I do agree with the general populous here though that it would not be a good idea to implement for several reasons, like some of the reasons posted in this thread.

Adding it will complete the transition of Facebook into Reddit.

Such button will negatively impact the user's experience as well.

Its a fact that most people only want to hear the good stuff. People only want to see their post or pictures getting tons of likes. They don't want to see their duck face picture taken in a toilet getting all the dislike

there was a "dislike" button some years ago, then it disapeared...really miss that button :rolleyes:

My mother said, if you don't have something nice to say, say nothing at all. The dislike button would turn facebook into a warzone that would have massive unitended consequences. Considering how fickle and trollish people are, the unintended consequences would dwarf the indented effect.

there was a "dislike" button some years ago, then it disapeared...really miss that button :rolleyes:

You sure about that? They introduced the like button in '09 and I've been on since '07. Never seen a dislike button.

https://blog.facebook.com/blog.php?post=53024537130

Now I know there are 3rd party browser addons that allow you to have a dislike button. (Completely worthless unless everyone has it installed.)

Why introduce a dislike button, when the person who is offended can just un-friend you.

That's how I know people don't like my comments, when my numbers drop.

Never mind the dislike button. They should get rid of that awful Timeline that they are forcing on every page in a few days. Most people I know on facebook hates the Timeline.

I never really thought about it but yeah a dislike button would make facebook a lot more unpleasant -.-

My mother said, if you don't have something nice to say, say nothing at all. The dislike button would turn facebook into a warzone that would have massive unitended consequences. Considering how fickle and trollish people are, the unintended consequences would dwarf the indented effect.

"If you don't approve of something, ignore it", what a horrific piece of advice from your mother.

Then again Facebook took your mothers advice and applied it to its very platform which turned out to be a massive success, so from a business perspective not letting people disapprove of things is awesome!

"If you don't approve of something, ignore it", what a horrific piece of advice from your mother.

You have to be young...really you do. The phrase is also commonly said as "praise in public and criticize in private". If you cannot understand the value of such phrases then you will have a hard time in society in general. Well, maybe if you work in a hostile work enviorment...it might work. But usually those enivorments are caused by people violating the two stated rules.

This is the first thing i thought. No way they'd ever do that, they finally got all the businesses to embrace the stupid thing!

Back