iPad's Color Quality Causes 30% Increase in Power Usage

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
The increased color reproduction of the new iPad 3 has come with a price of sorts: a 30% increase in power usage. It’s a bet that Apple took these numbers into consideration before making the splashy debut last week, but first impressions are lasting impressions. Ooh, pretty colors. :D

The new technology resulted in a spike in power consumption, however, because the improved filters let less light through than inefficient versions.

It is done all in the name of progress. The Holy Apple's relentless pursuit of innovation is truly awe-inspiring; this serves to strengthen further our faith on the Holy Apple and its Sacred Word.

It still has decent battery life. I imagine iPad users got sick of looking at free contract Samsung phones with better looking screens than their iPad, and decided it was worth trading power consumption for the better screen.

Glad to see them incorparating a better screen. I was appalled when I saw the first gen ipad screen. For such a pricey device at the time (over 700 CAD) it was rather dissapointing.

wow shocking revelation, you make a screen more powerful with a similar technology, and it uses more energy!

That whole using more energy bit might be why it's hotter than the previous version too ;)

They increased battery capacity from 24Wh on the ipad2 to 42Wh on the Ipad 3, so I think they did a decent job accounting for the increased power draw.

As battery technology progresses though, if the trend is going to be towards faster/more power hungry mobile devices, it may not be long before we start running into heat issues. Yeah, a chip may be able to take 80C, but I don't think your hands will like it.

They increased battery capacity from 24Wh on the ipad2 to 42Wh on the Ipad 3, so I think they did a decent job accounting for the increased power draw.
That though is the same battery as some laptops get. Particularly a Macbook 13". We're at a point where tablets need the same size battery as a Laptop. Yet, do they compare with performance?
As battery technology progresses though, if the trend is going to be towards faster/more power hungry mobile devices, it may not be long before we start running into heat issues. Yeah, a chip may be able to take 80C, but I don't think your hands will like it.
An Apple Macbook Air has a similar battery size, and lasts 7 hours. The new iPad can't even charge the battery while it's working. It literally drains power that fast. Plugging it in only slows down the rate it discharges the battery. It also gets as hot as 46C.

We're at a point where tablets are starting to drain power as quickly as Laptops. A lot of it can account for the screen, which acts as your only way to input into the device. The iPad 3 screen is only 9.7 inches, while most laptops are at least 13 inches. While the iPad 3 has more power efficient ARM processors, it doesn't make up for the new screen.

Take a Macbook Air and compare it to the iPad 3, both in battery and performance. Chances are the Air is much faster and consumes nearly the same amount of power. At least the Air comes with a more powerful charger, so you can use the device and still charge it.

anything beyond 8-bit color is a waste.
8-bit color is 256 colors. 8-bit component color, on the other hand...

10-bit component color panels can display gradients more faithfully, at least. It isn't a complete waste.

anything beyond 8-bit color is a waste.

The new iPad screen is still 8-bit (possibly, could be 6-bit tbh) - it just has a wider color gamut. As in, the mapping between that 8-bit number and an actual color. Redder reds, bluer blues, etc...

That though is the same battery as some laptops get. Particularly a Macbook 13". We're at a point where tablets need the same size battery as a Laptop. Yet, do they compare with performance?

An Apple Macbook Air has a similar battery size, and lasts 7 hours. The new iPad can't even charge the battery while it's working. It literally drains power that fast. Plugging it in only slows down the rate it discharges the battery. It also gets as hot as 46C.

We're at a point where tablets are starting to drain power as quickly as Laptops. A lot of it can account for the screen, which acts as your only way to input into the device. The iPad 3 screen is only 9.7 inches, while most laptops are at least 13 inches. While the iPad 3 has more power efficient ARM processors, it doesn't make up for the new screen.

Take a Macbook Air and compare it to the iPad 3, both in battery and performance. Chances are the Air is much faster and consumes nearly the same amount of power. At least the Air comes with a more powerful charger, so you can use the device and still charge it.

What? I'm using my iPad right now and have gained like 4% battery since it's been plugged in.

The increased color reproduction of the new iPad 3 has come with a price of sorts: a 30% increase in power usage. It’s a bet that Apple took these numbers into consideration before making the splashy debut last week, but first impressions are lasting impressions. Ooh, pretty colors. :D

Thus causing a drastic drop in the population of the west coast as millions of greenie's heads exploded as they fought and lost an inner war to be eco-friendly and still have the shiniest bauble from Apple.

What? I'm using my iPad right now and have gained like 4% battery since it's been plugged in.

I believe the charge-while-using issue he's referring to only happens if you're using your iPad for a high-consumption task..like gaming.

I believe the charge-while-using issue he's referring to only happens if you're using your iPad for a high-consumption task..like gaming.

Correct. This is a case where I say apple had to ditch a ball in order to keep their juggling act up. Most people won't notice...but to those that do, it will be annoying.

The new iPad can't even charge the battery while it's working. It literally drains power that fast. Plugging it in only slows down the rate it discharges the battery. It also gets as hot as 46C.

That's not entirely true. I'm using my iPad as I type this, plugged into the wall (using my 5W iPhone charger no less) and it's charging just fine.

You'll only run into the scenero you described (including getting warm) if you're running really demanding 3D applications (Infinity Blade, SkyGambers, Galaxy on Fire, etc). Casual gaming, surfing the internet, reading, checking email and stuff like that, it will charge just fine (and remain cool as a cucumber)

Back