BioWare: No Decision Yet On Mass Effect 3 Ending

HardOCP News

[H] News
Are we taking bets? Who thinks that Bioware will change the Mass Effect 3 ending? Who thinks they are just talking out their ass until the whole thing blows over?

We are aware that there are concerns about a recent post from this account regarding the ending of the game. In this post it was stated that at this time we do not have plans to change the ending. We would like to clarify that we are actively and seriously taking all player feedback into consideration and have ruled nothing out. At this time we are still collecting and considering your feedback and have not made a decision regarding requests to change the ending.

So much for my theory of them coming out with the craptastic ending due to time constraints and that they would release the real endings in DLC once they were finished. I just cannot believe that the minds that came up with the genius that is the Mass Effect series couldn't come up with a better ending than this junk. I'm so disillusioned right now. :(

Are we taking bets? Who thinks that Bioware will change the Mass Effect 3 ending? Who thinks they are just talking out their ass until the whole thing blows over?

We can't believe anything BioWare says right now.
  • They told us our decisions mattered. Clearly, they do not.
  • They told us that this would close out Shepard's story. It does not.
  • They told us that we would get to keep our shit from Mass Effect 2. We do not. It's all in the game and we can reacquire it, but we don't keep it.
  • We were told there would be some kind of reward for keeping the same romance through all three games. This didn't happen either.
  • We were told we wouldn't need to play the multiplayer game to get the best ending. This is also a lie. You either need the IOS app or you need to play the multiplayer to get an EMS of over 4,000 points.
  • We were told we would have 16 different endings. Instead we get 16 subtle variations on the ending which are almost indistinguishable from one another.
  • We were told that "From Ashes" is separate and not part of the actual game. This is clearly not true. What you download isn't the character itself, but appears to be the Priority: Eden Prime mission.

So much for my theory of them coming out with the craptastic ending due to time constraints and that they would release the real endings in DLC once they were finished. I just cannot believe that the minds that came up with the genius that is the Mass Effect series couldn't come up with a better ending than this junk. I'm so disillusioned right now. :(

No it doesn't. This just tells us not to expect a revised ending or anything that continues the story for some time. This is about buying time to create or finish the content. Nothing more.

I'm having more fun in the multiplayer than I did playing the game through. Drell Adept ftw! I'd buy multiplayer DLC over campaign DLC any day of the week.

I don't personally understand the anger over the endings. Were they fantastic? No. Were they enough to "ruin" the game for me and make me denounce the company as the devil? Hardly.

I don't personally understand the anger over the endings. Were they fantastic? No. Were they enough to "ruin" the game for me and make me denounce the company as the devil? Hardly.

But they were for me. The endings completely ruined the entire experience for me. I was going to replay the games in order when I was done, but now whats the point knowing how it ends? I have absolutely no motivation at all.

No it doesn't. This just tells us not to expect a revised ending or anything that continues the story for some time. This is about buying time to create or finish the content. Nothing more.

I don't know dude, it looks more like them saying, "hey we thought this was a pretty cool ending and we're totally surprised by the backlash. We're currently trying to figure out if we want to bring all the actors back in and come up with some DLC that will make everybody happy".

I hope I'm wrong.

I don't know dude, it looks more like them saying, "hey we thought this was a pretty cool ending and we're totally surprised by the backlash. We're currently trying to figure out if we want to bring all the actors back in and come up with some DLC that will make everybody happy".

I hope I'm wrong.

You could take it that way or you could take it as "they are working on it, but it's going to take longer than we initially thought."

The fact that the ending has upset people so much indicates that it was nothing short of fantastic. The issue is that you are attached to your characters and the world, and they threw you a curve ball. I loved the ending, and I honestly believe that those who didn't may be too Hollywood-happy-ending-centric to enjoy anything different.

The fact that the ending has upset people so much indicates that it was nothing short of fantastic. The issue is that you are attached to your characters and the world, and they threw you a curve ball. I loved the ending, and I honestly believe that those who didn't may be too Hollywood-happy-ending-centric to enjoy anything different.

What we got was unsatisfying trash which invalidated the concept of choice and created more questions than answers. It wasn't an ending at all. I'm sorry but the Deus Ex machina endings are lame. Its a product of lazy writing and nothing more.

What we got was unsatisfying trash which invalidated the concept of choice and created more questions than answers. It wasn't an ending at all. I'm sorry but the Deus Ex machina endings are lame. Its a product of lazy writing and nothing more.

And the fact that the endings use the same cutscene/cinematic with minor differences between them. That's just lazy on bioware's part. Not to mention the story sucks.

How could people not see this coming with the shit games BioWare has been releasing lately?

User review scores
DA2: 4.2
TOR: 5.3

After those, people still had faith in BioWare? Heh. I'd be pissed off if I bought a shit game as well, but come on. You could see this from a mile away.

They said the same thing about The Sopranos ending. "Hey it got people talking and that means it was a good ending".

I say BS because now you can't mention The Sopranos to anybody without the next comment being something negative about the stupid ending. Its a big sour note on possibly the best TV series ever and the first thing people think about. It'll be the same way about ME. You bring it up to a gamer and the first thing he'll say wont be "what am awesome game"! It'll be "God what a fucking stupid ending".

So you'll have the best series in video game history and the first reaction or comment anybody will have about it will be negative. That's just fucking stupid IMO and totally needless.

How could people not see this coming with the shit games BioWare has been releasing lately?

User review scores
DA2: 4.2
TOR: 5.3

After those, people still had faith in BioWare? Heh. I'd be pissed off if I bought a shit game as well, but come on. You could see this from a mile away.

The thing is the game is awesome up until the end. The previous games in the series were excellent as well. I had no reason to doubt this one. And again it's 98% awesome. But that 2% is a real bitch. I don't see how DA2 or SWTOR had anything to do with it. Those are separate games with a separate development team.

Want a better ending? Pay up $20 for the DLC when it comes out. Between that and the Day 1 DLC they turned ME3 into a great cash cow. Hats off to them!

Get the fan base upset enough about the ending that they will pay anything to have it turn out the way they want.

Me? I'll wait with the purchase till they sell it all bundled in one game for like 20 bucks, and I don't care if it takes a couple of years to get there.

I actually liked the DA2 storyline :p The gameplay was far more limiting than Skyrim but I enjoyed the storyline more.

SWTOR is a bag of horsemanure and I'm not regretting skipping on ME3 atm.

Wow, I am glad I didn't buy this game. I think I still have about 125 hours left in Skyrim anyway.

***** SPOILERS IN THIS POST ****** ***** SPOILERS IN THIS POST ****** ***** SPOILERS IN THIS POST ******
***** SPOILERS IN THIS POST ****** ***** SPOILERS IN THIS POST ****** ***** SPOILERS IN THIS POST ******

First of all, just because the ending has a lot of fans (yes the hardcore fans, but also the casual fans too...just ask my wife. She's just as ticked) in an uproar over the ending, doesn't mean that it was "good". The entire 30 hours I played was awesome, except for the last 10 minutes. Absolutely horrific and terrible. Plot holes everywhere. Complete disregard and detachment for every theme over the past 100 hours of game play between the three games just for some 10 minute ending that essentially is the same no matter what you choose. The fact that everything you've done up to this point doesn't matter as long as you have the base "Battle Readiness Rating" or whatever it's actually called, is a complete slam in the face of fans who were promised in multiple instances from those at Bioware that every choice you made would have major consequences not just in Mass Effect 3's game play but ALSO the ending. Not to mention, they also introduced a brand new character within the last 10 minutes who just randomly gives you three choices that end up virtually identical? Look, I'm not one to ruin someone's creative license at all, but it's terrible, awful writing. I mean, even I could have concocted something so random and disconnected that would have made as much sense as what they were trying to do.

One of the reasons I played ME2 various times was because your actions DID mean something for the final end of the game. It's the reason why I went all out on ME3. I NEVER buy collectors editions of ANYTHING not to mention TWO collectors editions for each my wife and myself because we were that excited. We even went to the midnight release in the freezing cold. Don't get me wrong, the rest of the gameplay is excellent, but the end completely ruins everything that they've built up to at that point.

There is talk that they originally had planned on creating a massive showdown with the Illusive Man at the end. THAT would have been epic and would have made MUCH more sense than what they slapped on at the end. I just hope that Bioware does the right thing and if they do release new endings or what not, that they don't make it a paid DLC. You can't please everyone either, and I get that, but at least stick to your themes and your overall story arc. Don't just throw up on a plate and serve it to me at the last minute and call it "artistic".

I have faith they have a master plan. As for the DLC and the cost I really dont care as long as its good. I enjoyed from the ashes and Javiks ship converstions through the whole game.

I always wait for the end of a series before investing any time in it. I learned a hard lesson from watching Lost.

Never again will I waste so much time. If they eventually offer a good ending I might consider buying the games. Simple as that. I don't want to get a fat juicy sarcastic thumbs up from the devs after giving them my money and my time. It's like eating a great dinner then for desert a nice looking chocolate cake only to find out when you put it in your mouth it's made of feces.

All I can say is I hope they come up with some more ending options. DLC, I don't care, I just want to to be able to change the ending. For me as I replay this game now, I'm already thinking about the terrible ending choices. When I get close to the end, I just want to stop there and then just play the game from beginning again. I really like playing this game except for the endings. As far as I'm concerned, it couldn't have been botched more. Not a fulfilling end for me after playing all three games. Call me a stupid ass for liking a good ending but I would have liked to have seen an ending option where the Reapers got their asses kicked and everyone else lived happily after. An ending cutscene of everyone getting together at a bar or a resort island to talk about what they were doing now would have been a great ending (for me anyway).

The endings preclude any DLC that can be done after the game is finished (ie. LotSB in ME2 that could be done after the Omega 4 relay). In fact, when you finish one of the endings, it puts you back before you even go to Earth, I believe. I just know it wasn't continuing the gameplay like the previous two games.

I imagine that all DLC the does come out will be for things that are completely sideline adventures.

Oh for F sake!

I am so over this. Fuck Bioware, Fuck EA, just stay away from future Bioware games and vote with your wallets!

When Diablo 3 is out, who is going to have the time to bitch about this anyway. :rolleyes:

I hope I'm wrong.

Same deal with the last book, they screwed that up in so many ways they are now supposedly looking at fixing that issue with a re-write, sad they thought Drew wouldn't be up for finishing the series (maybe he was happy where he left it), and bring in some other jack ass that didn't bother reading the last three.

Not so much Bioware as EA pulling the strings on this nonsense with DLC endings, and ripping out parts of the game that were originally part of the game, I still haven't bought the second one because of all the DLC that can effect parts of the storyline (waiting for the next STEAM sale).

Oh for F sake!

I am so over this. Fuck Bioware, Fuck EA, just stay away from future Bioware games and vote with your wallets!

When Diablo 3 is out, who is going to have the time to bitch about this anyway. :rolleyes:
I'm still bitching about the real money shop they implemented for D3...so I won't be buying that

modern gaming has me bitching a lot more than I used to...

This is all hilarious.

EA and Bioware have effectively created a market from their game out of thin air. They've found people not only that shell out $60 for their game but want to shell out even more to change the ending. An ending.

Just think about that.

If you went to a movie and didn't like the ending, there was an option to insert $5 and an alternate ending would play.

People continue to amaze me. EA/Bioware is probably eating this up and rubbing their hands at all this hype around their game (even bad publicity is publicity).

I'm still bitching about the real money shop they implemented for D3...so I won't be buying that

modern gaming has me bitching a lot more than I used to...

and Blizz-like DRM for being online.

Also that the gameplay is unimpressive and it resembles what D3 would look like with WoW-like graphics, storyline and lack of gothic diablo undertones...

I'm with you. I've been bitching a lot about video games as of late. Quality and attention to lasting gameplay has taken a backseat to deadlines and hype:mad:

and Blizz-like DRM for being online.

Also that the gameplay is unimpressive and it resembles what D3 would look like with WoW-like graphics, storyline and lack of gothic diablo undertones...

I'm with you. I've been bitching a lot about video games as of late. Quality and attention to lasting gameplay has taken a backseat to deadlines and hype:mad:

I'd have killed for a Diablo sequel years ago, but honestly Diablo III holds little interest for me now. Especially given that the game play (based on what I've seen) has either not evolved at all or is actually dumbed down compared to the last game.

thinking about how the ending of mass effect 3 is just makes me sad

:(

I'd have killed for a Diablo sequel years ago, but honestly Diablo III holds little interest for me now. Especially given that the game play (based on what I've seen) has either not evolved at all or is actually dumbed down compared to the last game.

It just feels wrong, doesn't it? It doesn't look nor feel like Diablo at all and that's by far the biggest mistake they made. Instead of doing a true blue Diablo, they decided years ago from the get-go to borrow some of the aspects from WoW in an attempt to either draw in more people or make it a smooth transition between the two. It's a case of streamlining where there shouldn't be any.

Bioware steered away from that and the games feel different but outside of DA2 and the prior ME games, their newer stuff has straight up sucked. SWTOR is just horrible and feels too cartoony and ME3 seems to be disappointing according to quite a few folks (at least the ending :p)

All these posts about "Oh I hope they release the "real" ending soon." are hilarious. You're so upset that they ruined your Mass Effect experience with a terrible ending that you're just waiting, money in hand, to pay them for the real ending?

Bioware must be in the business of screwing people, and I can see why; business is good.

I'm not paying them for a "real" ending. They should give it out for free because that's what was promised.

For free?

From a major studio owned by a major publisher?

Yeah. Good luck with that one.

I'm not paying them for a "real" ending. They should give it out for free because that's what was promised.

Yea.... if this is what they pull out as their "compromise" and people buy it. They've obviously found a good way to pretty much scam you all for money.

Just when you think Bobby Kotick is the worst thing in gaming, EA and Bioware manage to out-Kotick Kotick. An impressive feat. Years ago, devs agonized over getting every little detail perfect because DLC didn't exist then. Instead we got expansion packs that actually had some meat to them and added to the game. To be fair, once DLC started becoming the norm, a lot of people said that it would only be a matter of time before levels were sold as DLC, before ending boss fights were sold as DLC, before alternate endings were sold as DLC.

It's come true today with the likely event that ME3 ending DLC will hit sooner or later.

Nobody here believes that EA will pass up a chance to make more money. Did you all not see how they bragged that their $10 From Ashes DLC had a 40 percent Day 1 adoption rate? Do the math . . . .

Bioware must be in the business of screwing people, and I can see why; business is good.

... and this is how we can stop this insanity.

STOP... BUYING... THEIR... GAMES!!!

I have not bought ME3, hell... I can't be bothered wasting the bandwidth downloading the torrent. I'm only going to support developers who don't screw over their customers, which means off to Indy developers I go.

Back