Steer Clear of the Anonymous OS

HardOCP News

[H] News
Like someone has to tell you that downloading an OS customized by Anonymous (real or fake) is a bad idea. :rolleyes:

A tweet from @AnonOps says “The Anon OS is fake it is wrapped in trojans,” and another from @YourAnonNews says “Seeing lots of news about just-released purported “Anonymous OS.” BE CAREFUL! Remember the Zeus Trojan incident w/Slowloris recently!”

If there is anything fishy or our of the ordinary with this Linux rehash im sure someone will dissect it and it will come out.

Hmm, still might be interesting to tinker with on a completely network isolated spare machine, just to see what all is in it.

I'm interested to see what they have actually done. How elaborate (or not) their potential exploits are, as well as how dangerous of a tool this might be.

Yea cause you know... it's always a good idea to download an OS from script kiddies... Couldn't possibly be riddled with bugs.. trojans... hacks..

Naaah it's safe and educational!

Where are those Anonymous supporters with their usual line of "they dont try and harm the average person, they go after corporations who screw people"....

Where are those Anonymous supporters with their usual line of "they dont try and harm the average person, they go after corporations who screw people"....

The problem here is that since Anonymous is just an idea that folks grab on to, anyone can co-opt it for whatever purpose they want. Even the FBI.

But hey, the FBI got "Sabu", right? And shut down #antisec, right? But of course, just like terrorists, the only hacker groups the FBI can stop are the ones they create. Case in point: #antisec was created after the FBI arrested and recruited "Sabu" as a snitch. They funded the operation, sat back and watched as the hacks rolled in (including Stratfor) then shutdown the network they created all while patting themselves on the back and providing fodder for the retards in Congress to crack down on "cybercime."

So, yay FBI. If this were the 1930s, they'd be robbing banks just to arrest folks for robbing banks. It's fucking pathetic. But then again so is Anonymous. So, grab the popcorn and enjoy.

Yea cause you know... it's always a good idea to download an OS from script kiddies... Couldn't possibly be riddled with bugs.. trojans... hacks..

Naaah it's safe and educational!

I don't think it's from the script kiddies at all. I think it's an educational tool of the US DOJ so that they can become educated of the exact location, name, IP address, etc., of anyone fool enough to use it.

Given the average person would never attempt to install a custom OS or linux distro anyhow, your statement is rather silly.

So let me see if I understand this.

An organization known for being the most recalcitrant group of hacker / terrorists on the internet put together a "free" operating system, and people actually loaded it on their systems? And then they were surprised to find that the program was actually designed to allow Anonymous to hack your machines?

The hell you say...

I don't think it's from the script kiddies at all. I think it's an educational tool of the US DOJ so that they can become educated of the exact location, name, IP address, etc., of anyone fool enough to use it.

That's too obvious a tactic for the DOJ. This is more likely some internet trolls using the Anonymous name just to exploit the gullibility of anyone stupid enough to install and use this outside of an isolated test box.

Given the average person would never attempt to install a custom OS or linux distro anyhow, your statement is rather silly.

Define "average"? Id hope the "average" person would be smarter than to purchase an overpriced box PC from BestBuy but they do it everyday.

Im sure there are plenty of "average" people who would install it. Maybe you missed the memo in the fact that users of this site (and the likes) are generally a bit above average in the knowledge department of these kinds of things.

Define "average"? Id hope the "average" person would be smarter than to purchase an overpriced box PC from BestBuy but they do it everyday.

Im sure there are plenty of "average" people who would install it. Maybe you missed the memo in the fact that users of this site (and the likes) are generally a bit above average in the knowledge department of these kinds of things.

Buying an overpriced prefab pos is a far cry different than installing a custom linux os from a source most in that group have likely never heard of. The idea of an "average" person installing linux much less this is a laughable notion at best. I work with these users every day, most are daunted at the idea of reinstalling windows (something they know), much less something they don't.

So let me see if I understand this.

An organization known for being the most recalcitrant group of hacker / terrorists on the internet put together a "free" operating system, and people actually loaded it on their systems? And then they were surprised to find that the program was actually designed to allow Anonymous to hack your machines?

The hell you say...

You forgot to throw in "communist" and "dirty hippies". Gotta demonize dem dirty hippies and con the public into thinking we are the good guys. LOL.

Seems like a lot of trouble to get some info from some script kiddies (I sincerely doubt the actual black hats need this).

Back