Activision Wins Dismissal On One of Two Fraud Claims

HardOCP News

[H] News
Activision 1, West and Zampella 0. Round two...fight!

State Superior Court Judge Elihu Berle in Los Angeles agreed today with Activision that a fraudulent-inducement claim made by Jason West and Vincent Zampella, creators of the blockbuster game “Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2,” shouldn’t go forward. He let stand a claim for promissory fraud.

I had to google the first term since IANAL.

Apparently, it applies when you trick someone into thinking a situation is what it isn't in order to get them to sign, like if you told someone "we won't get more than a couple of customers per day needing maintenance on their equipment, so go ahead and sign this 12-month agreement to handle all maintenance."

Of course they would win, they are a big scumbag corporation and the USA government is in their pockets and are corrupt.

How would Activision prove that there were secret talks? :confused:

There's no guarantee that the creators of Modern Warfare 2 are particularly bright in all areas of all things and could potentially have sent facebook messages via company wifi to EA contacts, used a company provided blackberry to send SMS texts/emails, send email from or via their work account, send the emails while logged into a web-mail service at work like gmail or hotmail with the company having screen-monitoring apps to ensure employees are working and not 'playing' and they were screenshotted, etc? or any number of other bone-headed things that people can do because people make mistakes.

I have to say, Activision suing EA for $400 million for interfereing with the contracts of their employees seems a bit .... lame and strange. I'd hope I'd be able to do whatever I want with whomever I want if I was a free-agent. If Star Wars: TOR, WoW's lastest work and Diablo 3 are any indications, people with talent don't last long at ActivisionBlizzard. *BaZing*

Back