U.S. Prosecutors File For Extradition of Kim Dotcom

HardOCP News

[H] News
U.S. federal prosecutors have filed papers seeking the extradition of Kim Dotcom. Are we taking any bets? If this guy goes the Julian Assange route, it could take forever before he is shipped here. :eek:

New Zealand justice officials say papers were filed Friday in Auckland's North Shore District Court. The court is not releasing the papers at this time. U.S. prosecutors accuse the four men of breaching copyright by facilitating millions of illegal downloads through their website, enriching themselves at the expense of movie makers and songwriters. They are accused of a number of offenses including racketeering, which carries a maximum prison sentence of 20 years.

They're just trying to make an example out of him. Showing the world that they have the power to take you from your country. Making other file sharing sites cower in fear. It was effective enough to have a few other file uploading sites taken down, as well as BTJunkie.

Keep him over there, we don't need to waste any taxpayer money to bring and keep his sorry ass in jail over here.

See.. if Kim Was living in Cuba Or Iran.. he would have been just fine.. No extradition at all..

This won't go the Assange route, because they have an actual case they can try him for. The whole Assange thing didn't follow Judicial procedure and they still haven't actually charged him with anything... they want to extradite him to "interview" him.

I would really like to hear from a corporate lawyer about the government seizing corporate assets and locking them up, thereby forcing the company to go under. I have never heard of the government doing this to any other company, they may seize control of assets but they would still allow payments and operation money to be disbursed until the trial concluded.

Keep him over there, we don't need to waste any taxpayer money to bring and keep his sorry ass in jail over here.

You won't, they will seize his assets. If your a broke hacker they won't try to extradite as hard.

Maybe record/film companies and producers should look at what Kim did to make his millions and consider how they can adapt it to their business practices. Seems like people got what they want, and he got money out of it. So why can it work that way with Record/Film companies.

Perhaps he should be seen as an innovator rather than a criminal.

Maybe record/film companies and producers should look at what Kim did to make his millions and consider how they can adapt it to their business practices. Seems like people got what they want, and he got money out of it. So why can it work that way with Record/Film companies.

... Why? They're already making billions... :confused:

Great, American sticking it's nose into other countries business on behalf of the music and movie industry, after shutting down a business without due process.

They made new high sales in the last year, nothing wrong with their business model, they just didn't want artists to have some freedom.

Agreed on the music/film industry general douche-iness. I'm just pointing out more douche-iness as they have an opportunity to reduce piracy by possibly incorporating the pirate's own techniques, yet they choose to sue etc instead.

...enriching themselves at the expense of movie makers and songwriters. They are accused of a number of offenses including racketeering...

For a minute there I thought they were describing the RIAA, MPAA, Hollywood, and record lables. :p

They call it piracy... I call it free advertising.

This is what happens when the laws are as corrupt and stupid as the people enforcing them.

All I can detract from Mr. Dotcom is that he should have known that.

I don't think the business model would work all that well. Yes, megaupload made a lot of money, but off thousands of different movies/music/whatever. If you divided the profits over all those individual products, I imagine it wouldn't come close to covering a fraction of the development costs.

can we get all those who complain about the piracy to pay for all the US taxpayer funded lawyers/police that are working this case?

Yeah they gotta get that guy.. I mean, Christ look at Hollywood, all those starving movie moguls and shit.. Such a shame.

I think Saudi Arabia should have the right to extradition of American citizens for committing blasphemy.

As a Kiwi, I'm sad to see whats happening, in that his assets have been seized in New Zealand without a NZ Judge being able to see the evidence against him, just the word of the NZ Foreign Affairs Office etc saying that the US Govt is on the up and up

Wow Kim represented himself very well, he makes several valid points. I think he should win his case but here in America the courts seld do the right thing.

As a Kiwi, I'm sad to see whats happening, in that his assets have been seized in New Zealand without a NZ Judge being able to see the evidence against him, just the word of the NZ Foreign Affairs Office etc saying that the US Govt is on the up and up
Effectively, every citizen of New Zealand is now under the jurisdiction of U.S. law and police powers.

If you break a U.S. law or a U.S. corporation feels you have wronged them somehow, you can all be arrested and whisked away against your will to stand trial in a distant foreign country.

I hope, for all our sakes, there is outrage against this. It would be tantamount to an Islamic country snatching an American because he broke some Islamic law while in the United States.

There were loads of comments on that video when I viewed it a few days ago and now comments have been disabled. Spineless.

He makes extermely valid points, and he's a farcry from what the prosecutor would lead you to believe (though,I must say, that's hardly unbelievable). I really do LOVE how he brings up the points of US laws protecting him, from US corporations. Any sense in the world at all will give back his life. Far from the laundering bastards we have here, I genuinely feel that he earned his money. (Especially after that interview. Thanks for that.

All of his points are valid. I hope he sues the New Zealand and U.S.government for billions of dollars.

He makes extermely valid points, and he's a farcry from what the prosecutor would lead you to believe (though,I must say, that's hardly unbelievable). I really do LOVE how he brings up the points of US laws protecting him, from US corporations. Any sense in the world at all will give back his life. Far from the laundering bastards we have here, I genuinely feel that he earned his money. (Especially after that interview. Thanks for that.

Except he did commit money laundering. And mass credit card theft. And insider trading.

I hate the uneducated masses on the internet. This is why we need retroactive abortions.

This is like the crackheads in Detroit who still swear Kwame Kilpatrick is innocent and was the best mayor ever.

Except he did commit money laundering. And mass credit card theft. And insider trading.

I hate the uneducated masses on the internet. This is why we need retroactive abortions.

Uh, yea... I don't think he's being sued for that though. When that happens. Then we can talk about that.

He's being sued because they have logs of MU staff downloading/uploading themselves, paying other sites to upload and actively trying to promote the site as a place where crawler sites should get their links from, as well as dismissing DMCA complaints and obfuscating the related services.

The man is a clever bastard, but the fact that people immediately begin believing everything he says because of a prepped Youtube video interview speaks very lowly of our generation.

Then they should have brought those things up before. I'm almost 100% sure they didn't as he said, because it'd probably be on the news somewhere. I don't doubt the MPAA or RIAA would let a chance go to set an example of someone when they are losing BILLIONS.

They waited. 7 fucking years.

"They" are who? The RIAA/MPAA probably would've loved if it had begun 7 years ago. The FBI investigation opened up two years ago.

There's really very little extraordinary about this case.

"They" are who? The RIAA/MPAA probably would've loved if it had begun 7 years ago. The FBI investigation opened up two years ago.

There's really very little extraordinary about this case.

Just because the FBI started a case 2 years ago, doesn't mean they can't bring lawsuits to Kim DotCom.

If every lawsuit, or even more fitting, if every lawsuit concerning copyright infringement, required FBI intervention... I doubt there would have been so many lawsuit.

Normal infringement lawsuits have very quick evidence gathering, because all they do is set up a BT client with a PirateBay tracker and record the IPs, or in the past set up a Kazaa client and tracked the IPs. When it's a non-P2P file sharing website, where both legal and illegal content is uploaded, the situation is completely different and the evidence gathering takes much longer. Although they could've, they weren't just going for proof against individual citizens who uploaded files the same way they would've with a BT/Kazaa operation. They had to do prelim work, get a subpoena, wiretap the VA server and sift through logs.

It's like the difference between catching someone selling drugs out on the street versus busting into a warehouse to catch a major trade happening.

Proof of that?

Proof of that?

http://www.geek.com/articles/geek-p...ger-than-life-founder-of-megaupload-20120120/

Dotcom’s high life can be traced back to 1998, when he picked up a two-year probationary sentence for computer fraud and handling stolen goods. This was supposedly because he was trading stolen credit card numbers that he bought from US hackers.

In 2001 Dotcom bought $375,000 worth of shares in a nearly bankrupt company (LetsBuyIt.com). He then announced that he was going to invest €50 million in the company. Little did everyone else know, though, he didn’t actually have the money. His pronouncement led to the shares skyrocketing by nearly 300%, which Dotcom then sold for a $1.5 million profit. He was arrested, and served another two-year probationary sentence.

All you had to do was check his Wiki page. :/

Kim Dotcom looks like an upstanding individual that has civilization's best interests in mind.

megagun.png

Back