Duracell Introduces Powermat WiCC

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Although still in the developmental stage, Duracell’s Powermat technology is shaping up to be potentially a large influence on the future of smartphones and other handheld devices. Its success will depend on the acceptance of the individual device manufactures making the needed hardware adjustments to make widespread implementation successful.

It's going to take some time, but when this tech does go main stream, its going to be awesome! Just hope it doesn't cause cancer:)

I saw a demo where they built the "mat" into a kitchen counter-top. They rigged numerous devices with receivers. They could place them anywhere at anytime and get power... look ma no chords!

Just think, when virtually every flat surface of your home can power all of your devices! My phone would stay charged for once:mad:

I saw a demo where they built the "mat" into a kitchen counter-top. They rigged numerous devices with receivers. They could place them anywhere at anytime and get power... look ma no chords!
Except for the fact you need power going to the powermat, if you're not plugging it in, then you need an electrician to permanently wire it up which isn't going to be cheap.

Not sure what to think of this, whether people have that many wireless devices that plugging in a cord is too much of a pain in the ass, or if its "the next cool" and that's all it is.

Anyone know how efficient these are? Induction charging ain't exactly known for being terribly efficient.

Except for the fact you need power going to the powermat, if you're not plugging it in, then you need an electrician to permanently wire it up which isn't going to be cheap.

Not sure what to think of this, whether people have that many wireless devices that plugging in a cord is too much of a pain in the ass, or if its "the next cool" and that's all it is.

Anyone know how efficient these are? Induction charging ain't exactly known for being terribly efficient.

It depends on what kind of wireless charging it is. a well turned transmitting antenna and a well tuned receiving antenna can net efficiencies in the 95% range, or better, even in high powered versions; such as those for wirelessly charging an electric car.

It depends on what kind of wireless charging it is. a well turned transmitting antenna and a well tuned receiving antenna can net efficiencies in the 95% range, or better, even in high powered versions; such as those for wirelessly charging an electric car.

Thats pretty cool.

and grossly inefficient
people make a big deal about wallwarts this is 100x worse and on top of that you can only trickle charge as induction cant move high amp rates

and grossly inefficient
people make a big deal about wallwarts this is 100x worse and on top of that you can only trickle charge as induction cant move high amp rates

I guess the MacBook pros and airs take days to charge since they use induction charging.

I am waiting for wireless power/charging, like they demo'd for a tv last year at ces.

While I love the concept, I'd hate it if this makes OEMs become more conservative in their choice of battery capacity.

The biggest downside is you have to get the silly mat for this to work. I'm sure the mat costs much more than the pennies that the connectors cost.

Baby steps. Have to start somewhere. Eventually we'll see a variation of this tech on the road powering vehicles. Bumper cars make a come back!

The biggest downside is you have to get the silly mat for this to work. I'm sure the mat costs much more than the pennies that the connectors cost.

I think the point of this article/topic is that smartphone manufacturers are possibly going to just build this Duracell technology into their phone from the factory and PowerMat charging will eventually just be the normal way to charge your phone

Powermats have been out for around 5 years already. I've seen mats for as cheap as $20. It's the same technology, just the receiver on the device's end wraps around the battery itself, unlike the older models that was a skin over the device's case.

Not to mention, some car manufactures like GM have already stated the plan on integrating the technology in cars starting next year.

The really cool thing would be if somehow the battery attachment could convert wireless signal into useable power and charge the battery while you used the phone.

No mat needed.:D

Sigh.... I miss my Palm Pre....
I kind of miss WebOS, the actual Palm Pre, not so much. That was a shitty device hardware wise. The induction charging with the touchstone base was pretty cool. I made sure I had one at work and at home. Now they are paper weights.

The really cool thing would be if somehow the battery attachment could convert wireless signal into useable power and charge the battery while you used the phone.

No mat needed.:D

And some people think cellphones cause cancer now.

I am sorry, I can only think this 'technology' is hmm over 100 years old, this a fad in my view, and I hope it doesn't take on. Nikola Tesla, who knows what the guy would have done with more funding, or maybe some proper mental help, some of his stuff is out there...that you have to wonder.
A 'smart charger' as already been designed, You needed one charger.. and if device manufacturer would have chosen to do so, they used the one plug.. the thing is the plug in the device (cellphone whatever) first 'spoke' with the charger so then the charger gave the current needed to the device) and ta-dah, universality!

My first instinct is... the powermat receiver should be part of the battery, not the cel phone. That way older devices could be updated just by replacing the battery.

I'd buy it. I always forget to charge. Efficiency would not matter, when you consider the minor power consumption of a cell phone battery.

I almost think that this technology is designed to fail..... 'Oh look, we tried to develop some new energy methods/green technologies. They failed. People don't want new solutions. Continue old business model and point at failed projects when goverment asks them to be cleaner in the future'

Still not sure what Duracell is claiming is new in this technology. This is just another induction charging circuit. Aside from still needing a charging station versus having a simple cable, the cost hardly outweighs the benefit. All it saves you is from plugging the cable into your phone, so perhaps in the long run it will help USB/dock connector last longer. If manufacturers have to modify phones for it, then it will unlikely to kick in. It may work if they sold batteries with this thing built in or figured a way to just connect it to most phones by taping this thing over existing batter and terminals.

I had a Palm Pre Plus with the touchstone charger and I really enjoyed the touchstone charger. One less thing I had to do when I got home.

Any time I can use cheap technology to take a step out of a process, I will go for it. :D

Back