Microsoft Sets Office 15 Public Beta for This Summer

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Office 15 will be available for public beta this summer to the masses. The exact date of the beta has not been released, but it is predicted to follow a timeline closely related to the release of Office 2010, putting the beta somewhere between late May/early June.

"With Office 15, for the first time ever, we will simultaneously update our cloud services, servers, and mobile and PC clients for Office, Office 365, Exchange, SharePoint, Lync, Project, and Visio."

The "ribbon sucks" excuse was good for a couple months back when 2007 was released, but now? no.

I have fully grown to accept new and innovative software and 2007 was really great. 2010 only fixed the things that should've been there the first time. The ribbon is now much more customizable which is nice, and getting things done with new versions of office is easy.

i have 2007 installed and prefer not to use the ribbon. But I dont use office enough to be bothered to change back.

Office is much too expensive to upgrade every 1.5 - 2 years IMHO. Same for Adobe products...

The "ribbon sucks" excuse was good for a couple months back when 2007 was released, but now? no.

I have fully grown to accept new and innovative software and 2007 was really great. 2010 only fixed the things that should've been there the first time. The ribbon is now much more customizable which is nice, and getting things done with new versions of office is easy.

The ribbon still sucks, maybe you got used to it. But I still hate it, will never update my Office 2003 till they make that crap optional!

Our 2007 installations will serve well for a long time. I won't upgrade until absolutely necessary.

Software assurance, that's why you upgrade every cycle.

And most likely, if you work at a company that does volume licensing, you can get Office for a whopping $10.. and if you need Visio, you can get it for another $10.

And even if you don't have that option and have a .edu email address, you can get Office for about $50.

Hate on the Ribbon all you want, Office 2010 is the fastest selling version of Office ever. There's a lot of people complaining that Microsoft isn't listening to customers as much as it should and is becoming like Apple but I think in a way Microsoft has no choice. Microsoft's core users I think are stuck and set in their ways worse than Microsoft, those users simply don't want ANY change.

Probably the most interesting aspect of Office 15 will be the Metro client, assuming that there will be a Metro version and considering how well Office is doing I'm sure this is the case and I figure it will help drive Windows 8 sales.

Bring on a new version! I love Office 2010 and am excited to try a new version. I even hate using Office 2007 on our machines at work. I have 2010 and 7 at work while everyone else has 2007 and XP. The joys of being IT.

and with a new version of office comes new books and services. Office turning into a textbook? New edition has same content from previous edition, just new cover; costs the same; course requires new edition...

sure, if you don't need the features of new office versions and all you do is write a letter every 4 months and use nothing more than SUM() in excel, then yea, no need to upgrade. if you actually need the database connectivity, powerpivot, % of subtotals in pivottables, commands that are accessible from the context menu in pivottables... etc... you will want 2010. what really sucks, though, is that there are no upgrade options anymore and you have to buy the complete package.

2007 was mostly a UI re-design, 2010 actually has a lot of new features. just check out the official list of new features. 2007 vs 2003 is shorter than 2010 vs 2007 by far. and these new features even make sense.

still not sold on 2010? check out InfoPath 2010. it blows away the 2007 version and is the most awesome tool I've discovered in years. a lot of people don't even know what infopath is so sure, they will argue they don't need anything post office 97.

and btw, if you prefer the old UI with menus, there are add-ins that re-create the old UI, at least for excel. problem solved.

The ribbon still sucks, maybe you got used to it. But I still hate it, will never update my Office 2003 till they make that crap optional!

sounds like: "wah wah, windows xp can do everything I need so I will never upgrade from that piece of crap operating system wah wah!".

The 64-bit version of 2010 is the fastest version of Office I've ever used. I hope they optimize it even more with this new version.

sounds like: "wah wah, windows xp can do everything I need so I will never upgrade from that piece of crap operating system wah wah!".
Hey man, Windows XP x64 can support all my RAM. What more do I need?

The 64-bit version of 2010 is the fastest version of Office I've ever used. I hope they optimize it even more with this new version.

Actually Office 2010 is fast period, even the 32-bit version runs well on Atom CPUs. It'll be interesting what we see for Office 15 on ARM devices.

Back