YouTube Hits 4 billion Daily Video Views

HardOCP News

[H] News
In the time it took me to write this sentence, a 500k videos were viewed on YouTube. :eek:

YouTube, Google Inc's video website, is streaming 4 billion online videos every day, a 25 percent increase in the past eight months, according to the company. The jump in video views comes as Google pushes YouTube beyond the personal computer, with versions of the site that work on smartphones and televisions, and as the company steps up efforts to offer more professional-grade content on the site.

YouTube has went from a web version of mtv to a site that anyone can upload any type of video to. Sure there is a ton of crap on it, but there are some really good instructional videos as well. I watched almost 2 hours of wood working instructional videos from woodwisperer. The videos were well done and very informative. Most people that I know learn better by watching than they do by reading about how to do something.

I'm quite curious if they are profitable... at that cost of bandwidth per day or if Google's other services are helping foot the bill of youtube? I do know there's a reasonable amount of advertisements thrown out each day on youtube in the order of ... what...an advertisement every 4 videos perhaps?

If they are raking in more than $2 million dollars a day in advertisements, then, I'll admit that I'm fairly impressed by their ability to generate revenue from a free service. Makes me almost think hollywood could make their own youtube and just sell advertisements almost. ...after all, we already now have to sit through 22 car commercials :( while waiting on the movie to start.

Ok people stop bitching about Netflops consuming all your geebees of intarweb. Clearly google ate the rest

They can't really be losing $1.4 Million a day..

I mean, they can take it, but why should they?

That financial data is from 2009. The site has grown and changes since.

It's fair to say the bandwidth doesn't cost Google anything. They own the backbones IIRC.

Back