Yahoo Dangled $27M Pay Package To Get New CEO

HardOCP News

[H] News
Last week I made fun of Scott Thompson for taking the job of CEO at Yahoo...only to find out this week how much money they gave him. I can't imagine too many people would be able to say "no" to that kind of cash.

Yahoo dangled a $27 million pay package to lure its newly hired CEO Scott Thompson away from PayPal. The struggling Internet company disclosed the details of Thompson's compensation in a regulatory filing late Friday. Thompson starts his new job Monday after spending the past four years running eBay Inc.'s PayPal service, where revenue more than doubled during his tenure.

So basically he's showing. You can screw the big guys over just like paypal does to screw over the little guys.

Heh. and they really think that he'll now be able to double their revenue like paypals?

The only reason paypal increased revenue is a couple of things:

1. Increasing fees.
2. Increased users.

At no point was it due to any employee or innovation / features within paypal itself. It's still the slow as shit dung heap of a site it was 4 years ago. :D

So yahoo just blew 27million bucks to be told to increase fees and spend zero income on maintaining or improving their assets.

I never go to Yahoo!'s website. In fact I just went there to see what it looks like. Pretty much as I remembered... very very cluttered and ugly.

What exactly is Yahoo! plan supposed to be? They already got beat by Google completely in search. What are they going to excel at now? E-mail? Doubt it.. Google already beats you there too and even if you somehow came up with better e-mail service most people won't switch.

Tell me ... what exactly does Yahoo do now to set itself apart from the competition? Whatever it does it needs a major image overhaul because must people see it as irrelevant now.

Yahoo's biggest mistake was refusing Microsoft's initial buyout offer back in 2008.

I use yahoo's movie page for finding showtimes and reviews. That's pretty much it.

Yahoo has 27 Million? That alone is surprising enough.

On a side note short term gains can be pretty simple to manage if you don't consider the long term effect of those short term gains. I wouldn't be shocked if PayPal sees some major losses in the coming years.

I never go to Yahoo!'s website. In fact I just went there to see what it looks like. Pretty much as I remembered... very very cluttered and ugly.

What exactly is Yahoo! plan supposed to be? They already got beat by Google completely in search. What are they going to excel at now? E-mail? Doubt it.. Google already beats you there too and even if you somehow came up with better e-mail service most people won't switch.

Tell me ... what exactly does Yahoo do now to set itself apart from the competition? Whatever it does it needs a major image overhaul because must people see it as irrelevant now.

The only thing I know of that they do is yahoo7.com.au

I only know because they advertise it on channel 7 all the time, especially during the news.

that's the nice thing about being an American CEO - even if The Company FAILS, you still win!

is this a great country, or what!?! :cool:

Back