Corsair Vengeance 1500 Dolby 7.1 USB Headset

HardOCP News

[H] News
Overclockers Club has just published its review of the Corsair Vengeance 1500 Dolby 7.1 USB headset for those of you interested. You can see our review here for comparison purposes.

The Corsair Vengeance 1500 headset has proved to be one of the better gaming headsets I've tested to date. Out of the box the headset definitely gave the simultaneous impression of an enthusiast gaming peripheral and professional headphones. The headset is very well built and feels very solid in your hands and on your head. Over the course of testing I found the comfort of the headset to be a mixed bag; the headband does a great job of keeping the weight of the headset off your ears and the padded ear cups are extremely soft to the touch but the headset clamps pretty hard to your head, which detracts from the overall comfort over time.

This is the same as Steve pointed out in his 3d responses. Its just an illusion your paying for.They have been coming out with this so called tech for years, since the Quadraphonics era in the early 70's, at least they put 2 speakers a side in the headphones. At that time Quad meant four, so if you didn't put four speakers in you got sued. Untill they put 7 plus a sub woofer in to the ear pieces then this is all fluff and hype, so I aint buying this illusion.:D

When I previously went looking for a good gamind headset I ended up getting the Logitech G35 as from what I read it was a good stereo headset that also had ok virtual 7.1 feel to it. I personally feel that they done a very good job with the software to create a virtual 7.1. It isn't perfect but I do get a sense that something is behind me or off to one side when the virtual 7.1 is turned on. The one or two headsets that I saw that did actually have 4 speakers in each side to give you a "truer" or hardware rendtition of 7.1 all had terrrible reviews.

I have the 1500. It's a decent gaming headset. The sound is decent. But for music it's kinda bland.

This is the same as Steve pointed out in his 3d responses. Its just an illusion your paying for.They have been coming out with this so called tech for years, since the Quadraphonics era in the early 70's, at least they put 2 speakers a side in the headphones. At that time Quad meant four, so if you didn't put four speakers in you got sued. Untill they put 7 plus a sub woofer in to the ear pieces then this is all fluff and hype, so I aint buying this illusion.:D

If you knew anything about how human hearing works, you would know that having more than 1 driver in a earcup for positional sounds makes no difference and normally makes it sound worse.

the length of the sound wave and the time it takes to travel dictates how close a source of sound can be to another and still convey directionality .

there simply is not enough space in a earcup to place "surround" drivers and have them image properly but using good old math you can calculate and process the signals so it does sound like something is behind you or above you with just 2 drivers and tune the response of the drivers to work optimally within the space of the earcup

Pedo jokes aside ;) I bought a Corsair 1500, based on the [H] review, and all I can say is I should have read the review more carefully.

I am Not impressed with the Headset in BFBC 2 and BF 3.

I was going to get the Corsair 1500 but after reading multiple reviews it did not sound like it was going to be a good all around buy. I ended up picking up Samson Sr 850 and so far they are very nice sounding in games AND in music.

I was going to get the Corsair 1500 but after reading multiple reviews it did not sound like it was going to be a good all around buy. I ended up picking up Samson Sr 850 and so far they are very nice sounding in games AND in music.

An old though, When we tested headphones awhile back we brought our own favorite music to the store which we knew and compared that and it was usually symphony because most of us know what certain instruments sound like and you can't fool the ear if the headphones can't produce the sounds one kept looking. If headphones can reproduce music you like then they will definitely make games sound excellent.

I liked the sound but the 1500 was tight and hot to wear over a long gaming session I returned mine thinking of getting a usb recon3d and just use my at700's

When I previously went looking for a good gamind headset I ended up getting the Logitech G35 as from what I read it was a good stereo headset that also had ok virtual 7.1 feel to it. I personally feel that they done a very good job with the software to create a virtual 7.1. It isn't perfect but I do get a sense that something is behind me or off to one side when the virtual 7.1 is turned on. The one or two headsets that I saw that did actually have 4 speakers in each side to give you a "truer" or hardware rendtition of 7.1 all had terrrible reviews.

If you knew anything about how human hearing works, you would know that having more than 1 driver in a earcup for positional sounds makes no difference and normally makes it sound worse.

the length of the sound wave and the time it takes to travel dictates how close a source of sound can be to another and still convey directionality .

there simply is not enough space in a earcup to place "surround" drivers and have them image properly but using good old math you can calculate and process the signals so it does sound like something is behind you or above you with just 2 drivers and tune the response of the drivers to work optimally within the space of the earcup

If you actually tried it instead of resorting to typical Head-Fi conjecture, you'll know that it's not whether you're getting true 7.1 that's important, it's whether the change between the drivers is actually detectable by the ear. And the answer is, "of course you* moron".

*A hypothetical "you" of course

So you establish a mental baseline as to which change in game position corresponds to the change in physical driver playback. True 5.1 / 7.1 headphones are no better at doing front cues since they basically can do only left and right like regular stereo phones, but they are a whole lot more useful for side / rear position cues - though they have the attendant problems of supporting multiple drivers per earcup (weight, audio suffering, etc).

To me, virtual 7.1 phones are more useful - of the ones I've tried to date, the G35 does the best job with comparatively excellent depth and positioning in a truly 3D soundspace (better than CMSS & DH on the top Creative / Asus cards) and not a flat driver -> driver transition (though once again, weak 'still firmly in head' front cues - but still a heck of a lot better than stereo) and checking out some supposedly top-rated soundcards recently reminds me that not all virtual surround effects are created equal (and that most "I'm an audiophile"-tinged reviews are full of crud).

Would be interesting to see if the Vengeance does a better job. Fairly recently broke one of my G35's and eventually elected to replace it with same, but if anything happens to any of my Logis from now I'll be sure to try out the Corsair.

Last edited:
I wonder where some people get this idea that multi-driver cups instantly mean bad audio quality. Maybe it's because they're smaller (there is absolutely no relation between driver size and sound quality). My old and battered Turtlebeach HPA2 still sound much better than several 300$+ stereo cans I know, be it for music (not that I use it for that, I'm a high-end headphone nut) or games. These things actually provide flawless 5.1 positioning and bass emulation and those who claim otherwise simply didn't have them setup properly (one has to correctly balance the volume levels) or even didn't wear them properly (the rear driver obviously has to be located behind the earlobe so they need to be pushed back). I have done extensive comparisons between the 5.1 cans and my z-5500 speakers over many years, the main difference is that the speakers offer better separation between channels when there are quite large numbers of sounds at once coming from many directions, otherwise it's really the same surround experience and vastly superior to any software emulation.

hahah. lol @ all this hate from people who don't own/never used this headset 'my ones seem better than these!' haha yeahhhh right, of course your budget versions are better, please keep telling yourself that.

they have stellar reviews across the board and are awesome, simple as that.

Back