Angry Birds Turns Two this Weekend. Rovio Celebrates in Style.

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Time sure flies when you play Angry Birds….two years in fact. Rovio’s smash hit mobile game turns two today with 500 Million downloads, spawned sequel games, movies and merchandising. The company is now valued at over $1 Billion and growing. Not bad for a few Angry Birds and several greedy pigs. :D

Licensing, ads/paid-for, simplicity, and fun. Don't need much else if you get all the basics in the right formula.

pretty much this. ad revenue and / or buying the game outright (smart choice),stuffed characters 20 bucks (5 bucks to get to shelf) and so on

pretty easy to see if you look at just how far in our culture it has spread.

pretty much this. ad revenue and / or buying the game outright (smart choice),stuffed characters 20 bucks (5 bucks to get to shelf) and so on

pretty easy to see if you look at just how far in our culture it has spread.

I just can't believe how much it actually spread. I can honestly say I don't really enjoy it (I'd much rather just play Tetris on my phone). The thing that just boggles my mind is that people actually like the game so much that they buy the merchandise being offered. Kudos to them for making bank, but it just blows my mind that people actually buy merchandise based on what is essentially a flash game.

Crazy times indeed.

I have tried and tried and tried and can never play more than 2 minutes.... oh well... Happy 2 years old I guess....

I played alot of Angry Birds when it was released.
The bird sounds are what makes it special ! :)

It's the Pac-Man, or Super Mario, of this generation. Everyone knows about it, even if they never played it.

Its success is due to the simplicity of its design. For example, the premise is both basic and cute, and the mechanics of game-play, while physics-based, are pretty easy to grasp. The artistic style is great for such a simple game, too, meaning it runs relatively well on a range of devices while also serving a practical purpose in visual acuity. The sound design is also excellent - adorable and appropriate sounds, plus memorable music.

There is a learning curve - you need to find the best approaches to each level - but there's also a random element that makes for fun moments when you hit just the right spot. The game is rarely too difficult, but even when it's easy there's also a new high score to hit, new secret items to get, etc. So it fits the need for achievements, and is even connected to such elements online. Lastly, it's free with minimal ad support.

Quite simply, it's the perfect example of great game design. Not sure how anybody could "not get" that. I personally think their merchandise is (as one would expect) overpriced, but their prices are in line with what I've seen at gift shops and similar attractions. Would you balk at a high price for a Donald Duck plush at Disney World? As for the spread, it's just because Android and touchscreen gaming have exploded in recent years, becoming a cultural phenomenon.

Let's hope for even better stuff in the future, though. :D

Simple games like this appeal to a wide range of people. Look at Pac-Man and Tetris. they still make money after all these years.

Its success is due to the simplicity of its design. For example, the premise is both basic and cute, and the mechanics of game-play, while physics-based, are pretty easy to grasp. The artistic style is great for such a simple game, too, meaning it runs relatively well on a range of devices while also serving a practical purpose in visual acuity. The sound design is also excellent - adorable and appropriate sounds, plus memorable music.

There is a learning curve - you need to find the best approaches to each level - but there's also a random element that makes for fun moments when you hit just the right spot. The game is rarely too difficult, but even when it's easy there's also a new high score to hit, new secret items to get, etc. So it fits the need for achievements, and is even connected to such elements online. Lastly, it's free with minimal ad support.

Quite simply, it's the perfect example of great game design. Not sure how anybody could "not get" that. I personally think their merchandise is (as one would expect) overpriced, but their prices are in line with what I've seen at gift shops and similar attractions. Would you balk at a high price for a Donald Duck plush at Disney World? As for the spread, it's just because Android and touchscreen gaming have exploded in recent years, becoming a cultural phenomenon.

Let's hope for even better stuff in the future, though. :D

This poster gets it.

I just can't believe how much it actually spread. I can honestly say I don't really enjoy it (I'd much rather just play Tetris on my phone). The thing that just boggles my mind is that people actually like the game so much that they buy the merchandise being offered. Kudos to them for making bank, but it just blows my mind that people actually buy merchandise based on what is essentially a flash game.

Crazy times indeed.

it does me as well (relating to how invasive it has been) but Maxx nailed. They hit a winning combo. And I have actually got around to finishing the first game. Great distraction when your bored waiting for something (and it seems like I always am)

Not bad for a few Angry Birds and several greedy pigs. :D

I'm pretty sure this is the modus operandi for most American corporations. ;)

I used to be one of the "OMG who would spend time or money on this shit" crowd. Then I started playing it, more often as time went by. There is something damn appealing about Angry Birds. Almost like an addiction. Then you find others that love it and you're both saying, "OMG, I love that game, you play too?!?" Maybe it's the inner caveman coming to the surface, betting he can take out those damn pigs with a slingshot and a bird.

And I paid $0.99 for the Mighty Eagle just yesterday. :eek:

Back