Feds Seize 130+ Domain Names in Mass Crackdown

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
The US government launched a continuation of last year’s ”Operation In Our Sites” in an ongoing attempt to stop rampant piracy and counterfeiting, resulting in scamming the consumer. The Department of Justice and ICE seized 131 suspected websites on Black Friday, exactly one year since 82 domains were seized for similar cybercrimes.

“The theft of ideas and the sale of counterfeit goods threaten economic opportunities and financial stability, suppress innovation and destroy jobs.

Anyone else check your favorite sites to make sure they were still up? :D

j/k

The theft of ideas
?

How do you steal something that's solely in the mind. Makes as much sense as stealing an emotion.

and the sale of counterfeit goods threaten economic opportunities and financial stability, suppress innovation and destroy jobs.
And yet FedGov keeps on printing the counterfeit currency known as federal reserve notes. And financial stability is threatened by it. Jobs are threatened by the inflation.

So why not take down the fed? I think that would make us much safer than taking down a few domains. I suppose it's much like the cops never investigating very hard all the thefts of copper pipe from abandoned houses, but they'll sure crack down on speeders and those "wrongfully" parked. And government officials wonder why we the people have such a poor opinion of them.

Knight, I think you do need some protection of intellectual property, or the property of the mind. Provided it is novel. That helps to spur innovation, by offering incentive.

Everything else you said is spot on, the slob federal reserve that runs our financial system is long overdue for an overhaul.

then the sites simply stop using .com, .net and.org web sites and the U.S cant touch them , problem solved, this is the same crap the government did on seizing poker sites URLs, dirty and useless.

?
So why not take down the fed? I think that would make us much safer than taking down a few domains. I suppose it's much like the cops never investigating very hard all the thefts of copper pipe from abandoned houses, but they'll sure crack down on speeders and those "wrongfully" parked. And government officials wonder why we the people have such a poor opinion of them.

Meh, stealing a bit of pipe is small time.

When you really want to steal some scrap metal what you do is steal an entire bridge... overnight.

http://www.jaunted.com/story/2008/1/20/181031/393/travel/HOWTO:+Steal+A+Bridge+(Russian+Style)

They saved us from counterfeit Cleveland Browns jersey's.

My thoughts exactly! Because we certainly need to keep our economy strong by stopping counterfeit goods! Those multi-billion dollar sports franchises that sell licenses to clothing manufacturers probably create thousands if not tens of thousands of jobs.... in China.

Seems like the list is mostly those annoying sites that love to spam forums with broken English, or the even more annoying ones where they quote somebody else, then add on their spam website to the bottom of a legitimate reply but make it look like the whole reply was theirs.

?

How do you steal something that's solely in the mind. Makes as much sense as stealing an emotion.

And yet FedGov keeps on printing the counterfeit currency known as federal reserve notes. And financial stability is threatened by it. Jobs are threatened by the inflation.

easy there Tex

they got space for you in Guantanamo

Seems like the list is mostly those annoying sites that love to spam forums with broken English, or the even more annoying ones where they quote somebody else, then add on their spam website to the bottom of a legitimate reply but make it look like the whole reply was theirs.

Yes. Hi I'm a rich hot horny female doctor and me and all my rich hot horny female doctor friends are waiting for you to date us. Meet up with us at nflhere.com Oh crap, its been seized by the man. Nevermind, we weren't hot or doctors or even female anyway but we're getting rich by you clickin.

I dont know if i can post this so if its bad plz delete it but why havnt they taken Pirate*** down?

They saved us from counterfeit Cleveland Browns jersey's.

Well if your job were tired to production of Cleveland Brown jerseys, well hell you'd be unemployed anyway. But don't underestimate the problem of counterfeit goods however.

Well if your job were tired to production of Cleveland Brown jerseys, well hell you'd be unemployed anyway. But don't underestimate the problem of counterfeit goods however.

Yeah it's actually a pretty huge problem, but one that's largely self inflicted by doing your manufacturing in places like China where counter fitting is so huge and ubiquitous that even the chinese government is afraid to crack down in any serious way because it's actually a significant fraction of their economy

Yeah it's actually a pretty huge problem, but one that's largely self inflicted by doing your manufacturing in places like China where counter fitting is so huge and ubiquitous that even the chinese government is afraid to crack down in any serious way because it's actually a significant fraction of their economy

Good point. Of course the Chinese have to walk a fine line here as they can't totally alienate foreign manufacturers, they are a pretty significant part of China's economy as well.

Hopefully more than 2 of them were actually infringing this time.

Also, how does blacking access to these sites from the USA shut them down? Theres quite a few people in the world that don't actually live in the USA. Typical government bullshit. Don't actually solve the problem, hide it.

Also, how does blacking access to these sites from the USA shut them down? Theres quite a few people in the world that don't actually live in the USA. Typical government bullshit. Don't actually solve the problem, hide it.

They took the domains right?

I'm not a huge fan of this practice. The internet is and should be a global system. The idea we can seize domains because we don't like what they are doing yet would never let any other country do this to us is ridiculous.

This is why no one likes US policy. We enact things we would never allow to be reciprocated.

I'm not a huge fan of this practice. The internet is and should be a global system. The idea we can seize domains because we don't like what they are doing yet would never let any other country do this to us is ridiculous.

This is why no one likes US policy. We enact things we would never allow to be reciprocated.

Ahh, so this is different. They are actually taking the domains from US based registrars, rather than just removing the entries from US based DNS servers. I see. Still, does the US have the right to seize a domain from a non-US citizen? As long as the content isn't hosted in the US, they aren't doing anything illegal here.

Ahh, so this is different. They are actually taking the domains from US based registrars, rather than just removing the entries from US based DNS servers. I see. Still, does the US have the right to seize a domain from a non-US citizen? As long as the content isn't hosted in the US, they aren't doing anything illegal here.

It's an issue when they are created with the sole purpose of selling counterfeit goods to US citizens. Just look at the names of the sites in question. These sites are as sleazy as the Cadillac in the parking lot selling TVs for a really good price.

These sites are as sleazy as the Cadillac in the parking lot selling TVs for a really good price.
Hey, wait a minute! I got a really good deal on my flat-screen TV!

I think my neighbor is envious. He acted really funny when I showed it to him. Come to think of it, he had one just like it until recently. I wonder why he went back to the old 19" tube he had mothballed in the basement. Oh well...........

It's an issue when they are created with the sole purpose of selling counterfeit goods to US citizens. Just look at the names of the sites in question. These sites are as sleazy as the Cadillac in the parking lot selling TVs for a really good price.

They're still not doing anything illegal here. What if the roles were reversed? How would you feel about not being able to view this site, because China felt one of the posts here broke one of their laws?

They're still not doing anything illegal here. What if the roles were reversed? How would you feel about not being able to view this site, because China felt one of the posts here broke one of their laws?

I should add that I agree that these sites are sleazy and should be shut down, I just don't like the methods used to shut them down. Today they pull down counterfeiting sites and no one cares about the method because the end result is good. What happens in 5 years when anti-government sites start vanishing without any questions?

This is the exact issue.

There are probably a dozen different organizations who would say the US can't actually do this. Fortunately when we sign treaties they don't actually apply to us.

I don't see the big impact this does anyway. Can I assume that because it's just the domain name, that the actual product/ business is out of our jurisdiction? Why bother? It's guaranteed to pop up with a new name soon after.

think of it this way, the U.S owns .com / .net / .org domains, well Verisign basically does, thus the government puts an injunction / warrent to Verisign and they take over the domain name and then you get a purdy picture like this

www.truepoker.com
www.doylesroom.com

Because as we know, poker sites are funding terrorism apparently and a threat to U.S security :rolleyes:

IPRC_Seized_2011_05_Baltimore.gif

the great part is the FBI set up a "fake" money processor site to process funds from poker sites, wonder where all of that money went, since some sites couldnt give players back the money.......

So it is okay for the U.S govenment to run an illegal operation and keep the money from it...

Back