do VGA to HDMI cables work?

szdpd

Weaksauce
I looked them up on Amazon and they have many negative reviews from people who claim the cable simply doesn't work because converting an analog VGA signal to digital HDMI is not as simple as one would be led to think by the fact that these cables exist.

I am not looking for high quality images, by the way, just trying to hook up a computer with onboard graphics to a widescreen monitor that works best with HDMI inputs.

Can it be done or am I better off getting a new video card?

No they don't work, you need a converter from atlona or the like. Th cables are a complete scam.

If you meant VGA to DVI, yes... they exist and work fine (assuming the device at the DVI end supports the analog signal).

If you really did mean VGA to HDMI then no... and I'd be shocked silly to see someone actually selling a simple cable with HDMI at one end and a DSUB on the other.

and I'd be shocked silly to see someone actually selling a simple cable with HDMI at one end and a DSUB on the other.

http://www.amazon.com/VGA-HDMI-Cable-6-feet/dp/B002TUC64W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320871098&sr=8-1

Disclaimer which many people overlook says "Your Video card must support digital signal output through VGA port function. Please consult with your VGA card's user manual for more information."

But... but... has there ever been such a video card?

http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-VGA-HD15-Male-Cable/dp/B001OLCHJ6

Disclaimer says "NOTE: this cable don't support signal from VCR, COMPUTER or LAPTOP output."

One of the user review comments in the latter states: "This cable is meant for the very few devices that can actually output analog from the HDMI connector. This is very rare and you should pretty much always assume your HDMI connection cannot support analog, and your VGA connection cannot support digital."

Those very few devices must be rare indeed, for I have not been able to find an example of one. I guess I don't know what I'm looking for.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back