Barnes & Noble Introduces Nook Tablet

HardOCP News

[H] News
Barnes & Noble has introduced a new Nook tablet today. After Amazon launched its new tablets, I guess it was only a matter of time before B&N jumped on the "me too" bandwagon and launched their own.

Barnes & Noble CEO William Lynch introduces the Nook Tablet before a crowd this morning at the company's Union Square store in Manhattan. So far Barnes and Noble has introduced the $249 Nook Tablet, with 1 GB of memory, and the $99 Nook Simple Touch.

I am not trolling but rather genuinely curious about the "me too" comment.

The Nook Color has been out for a year now. Is a great device. And a perfect solution for a low cost Android tablet.

Were you not aware of its existence?

I think Amazon is the one that is late to the game with their Kindle Fire.

The Nook Color has been out for a year now. Is a great device. And a perfect solution for a low cost Android tablet.

Because they are "me too-ing" with the release of a product the company itself specifically says targets the Kindle Fire...hence the "me too" comment.

No biggy. :)

Which I suppose is ironic since the Kindle Fire targets the Nook Color.

Talk about recursion. Targeting a competitor's product that itself targets your previous product.

Thanks for the clarification.

The Kindle Fire is trying to one up the Nook Color since Amazon didn't have a competitor to it, and the Nook Tablet will one up the Fire. It's more like an "us again" rather than a "me too".

Nook Color
Kindle fire: "me too, a year later"
Nook Tablet: "back to us"

lulz.

$50 more, but specs are virtually the same except for 16GB of internal memory and the ability to add 32GB more.

Certainly unlikely to bomb, but I don't see it seriously hurting the Fire either.

Yeah, I hate competition. Everyone should of just quit with tablets once the iPad became successful, all these 'me too' people. ;) At least HP knew when to quit.

Is it just me, or do all the pictures of the "new" tablet look exactly like the current Nook Color?

If they improved the touch response of the screen on the new version, that alone would almost be worth the extra $50.

I think I'd still bet my money on the new Kindle over a Nook.

Amazon offers so much value now, esp with all the free to view TV shows and movies (with Prime) that the Fire will play wherever you are.

I wont be getting either for a while if ever sadly, lack of a job and impending movement to living in my car kinda prevents new tech purchases, but if I could, I'd preorder a Fire.

The Kindle Fire is trying to one up the Nook Color since Amazon didn't have a competitor to it, and the Nook Tablet will one up the Fire. It's more like an "us again" rather than a "me too".

Nook Color
Kindle fire: "me too, a year later"
Nook Tablet: "back to us"

lulz.

exactly ;)

$50 more, but specs are virtually the same except for 16GB of internal memory and the ability to add 32GB more.

Don't forget twice the memory, and longer battery life. Nook also reads more formats and uses the common epub format while the Fire uses a proprietary format.

I think the Nook Tablet is the clear choice.

^ agreed. I'm still holding off until these budget but rather stout-spec'd tablets hit the market with ICS installed.

I have an NC and its amazing. Gave it to the wife once I got the HP TP, but I installed a rooted Android on it, and overclocked it and it was really nice!

The Nook Tablet is a Nook Color that has a dual core CPU (NC has a single core 800mhz) and more RAM. Other then that, its the same thing.

Overall, the NC is great, and im sure the NT will be nice, but not a big upgrade from an overclocked NC (1.2ghz stable). They didnt change the design im sure to keep cost low, and they already have a crap load of 60$ cases they cant pawn off to there customers who know E-bay sells the same one for 6$.

I have an NC and its amazing. Gave it to the wife once I got the HP TP, but I installed a rooted Android on it, and overclocked it and it was really nice!

The Nook Tablet is a Nook Color that has a dual core CPU (NC has a single core 800mhz) and more RAM. Other then that, its the same thing.

Overall, the NC is great, and im sure the NT will be nice, but not a big upgrade from an overclocked NC (1.2ghz stable). They didnt change the design im sure to keep cost low, and they already have a crap load of 60$ cases they cant pawn off to there customers who know E-bay sells the same one for 6$.
I bought a Nook Color about 3 weeks ago. I had bought one initially when they came out and returned it because the performance sucked and the roms were unstable.

What a difference a year makes.

The Nook Color defaults it's single core cpu to 800mhz. The Cyanogenmod 7 rom includes overclocking tools that allow you to set that to a STABLE 1.6ghz. It takes microsd cards up to 32gb. When I bought mine a few weeks ago, I thought it was a steal at $250 with it's all multi-day battery life, wifi, bluetooth, DAC audio processing, Gorilla Glass, and IPAD IPS screen... and today you can buy it for $200.

The NOOK TABLET ups the cpu specs to dual 1.2GHZ and keeps everything else the same that made this a solid tablet. Note, not a solid BARGAIN tablet. A solid tablet.

I've auditioned the galaxy tab the acer iconia, and the toshiba thrive. The NC with a CM7 rom and overclocked to 1.6ghz will go toe to toe with any of those tablets. I don't miss having a front or rear camera because the picture quality on all of the tablets sucks, thats why my phone has an 8MP camera.

THE NC isn't much to look at, but with the proper tweaking it will perform above expectations and come in at less than half of what you would spend on any other tablet. With more storage via the microsd slot, you have a great multimedia playback device. The screen on this thing is AWESOME, while the bezel and general feel look utilitarian.

My .02 cents.

-difficultone

This looks pretty awesome, I already have the nook color and love it. I am still extremely happy with my nook color so I am going to just stick with that otherwise I would get one of these in a second. Looks like an easy choice over the kindle fire with twice the memory and ram.

I wanted a tablet mostly for reading and I prefer the smaller size of the nook color to the ipad when using it to read.

As a NC owner that is too lazy to root it, I'm all for the better processor but what would actually make me buy it is if they would give complete access to the android market without having to root it. Until they open that piece up I won't be "upgrading".

I'm excited for the Nook Tablet for a for a few reasons.

1) Same tried and true form factor but lighter.
2) Dual core
3) 1GB ram
4) XDA Dev support (speculation but assumed so far with the current support of the Nook Color)
5) Same beautiful display.

My only concern vs the Kindle Fire is the software.

Yes the Kindle Fire has slower specs but from what I've read that doesn't matter. It feels fast despite the hardware drawbacks. Time will tell.

As a NC owner that is too lazy to root it, I'm all for the better processor but what would actually make me buy it is if they would give complete access to the android market without having to root it. Until they open that piece up I won't be "upgrading".

It's actually not a root, per se. You can buy pre-configured microsd cards with roms on them and the nook will boot from the rom on the microsd by default... easy, peasy.

I've rooted about a dozen different android devices and the nook was by far the simplest to do. If you can run windows 7 dvd2usb tool, then you can configure a bootable microsd for your nook color.

The Kindle fire looks okay on paper until you get to the point where there isn't any expandable memory. I refuse to buy a device that I can't upgrade memory on. That will be the downfall of the kindle fire.

Not bad.. More interested in this then the Fire.. But we already have Netflix & a Nook Color so its a smaller migration

I think the difference between Amazon and B&N in this case is that Amazon has the software developers to back the device. Amazon has long been known as a technology company that does retail really well. I am sure that B&N has some excellent developers, but I don't think they can compete with Amazon's extremely deep pool of talent.

I think the difference between Amazon and B&N in this case is that Amazon has the software developers to back the device. Amazon has long been known as a technology company that does retail really well. I am sure that B&N has some excellent developers, but I don't think they can compete with Amazon's extremely deep pool of talent.
I think that it's almost irrelevant what type of in house developers you have when you have the support of development communities like XDA and many others.

For reference, I point you to the Cyanogenmod community. I've had various flavors of CM on every droid I've owned and the NC. None of them disappointed.

http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/Barnes_&_Noble_Nook_Color:_Full_Update_Guide

I don't see Amazon shipping their device unlocked, but if they did it would be a step in the right direction.

Back