Facebook Tracks Your Every Move

HardOCP News

[H] News
LifeHacker has an article posted today that shows you how to stop Facebook from tracking your every move.

Over the weekend, Dave Winer wrote an article at Scripting.com explaining how Facebook keeps track of where you are on the web after logging in without your consent. Nik Cubrilovic dug a little deeper, and discovered that Facebook can still track where you are, even if you log out. Facebook, for its part, has denied the claims. Regardless of who you believe, here's how to protect yourself, and keep your browsing history to yourself.

I don't really mind though, it's not like my friends aren't supposed to know that I check Cracked.com or I regularly comment on Mavsmoneyball.com, or that I have a Twitter account (barely a week old).

I would assume it only can track you through the like button and the "Post this to your facebook"? I notice this on Youtube, and yahoo, and such....unless I am wrong. I dunno, I purposely don't use facebook because I already knew about this being a possibility. Plus, I am not even a member, and I already get email from facebook asking me to join, and a possible set of Friends, of who I actually do know....

How the hell does facebook know that I am friends with these people? I get the same think from Linked In, of which I am a member.....how the hell does LinkedIn know that I used a recruiting agency, and suggests people from that recruiting agency? Its scary as hell....especially when I didn't link anybody in that group......

Like I just got a new list of possible 'links' on linkedin.....and my cousin, and mother in law is on there? How does LinkedIn know that?

Facebook...when it started was a good thing. It allowed me to re-connect (at least a high level) from people I used to be around. Now, it has morphed into something I just don't appreciate. I'm to the point where I might go on once a week.

I want facebook linked to my netflix account so that everyone can see what I'm watching and when. :p

I would assume it only can track you through the like button and the "Post this to your facebook"? I notice this on Youtube, and yahoo, and such....unless I am wrong. I dunno, I purposely don't use facebook because I already knew about this being a possibility. Plus, I am not even a member, and I already get email from facebook asking me to join, and a possible set of Friends, of who I actually do know....

How the hell does facebook know that I am friends with these people? I get the same think from Linked In, of which I am a member.....how the hell does LinkedIn know that I used a recruiting agency, and suggests people from that recruiting agency? Its scary as hell....especially when I didn't link anybody in that group......

Like I just got a new list of possible 'links' on linkedin.....and my cousin, and mother in law is on there? How does LinkedIn know that?

Your friends enter in your email address as a friend, and facebook extrapolates that to some of their friends may be your friends as well. I got those emails after some of my friends started sending me facebook invites.

I don't use facebook, but my girlfriend checks hers on my laptop sometimes... uh oh.

The latest update to their mobile client auto-launches your GPS as well. Pretty shitty.

Although they probably abuse all of the privileges that come with have peoples personal info.

6a00d8341bf80c53ef014e865668a8970d-500wi

The latest update to their mobile client auto-launches your GPS as well. Pretty shitty.

I noticed that one too. Only I noticed it because I turn off just about every permission the FB app wants on Android thanks to CyanogenMod 7. Disabling the GPS permission was causing a constant Force Close. Definitely shitty of them. I also found out that on Android they data mine your GMail account for e-mail addresses and names without permission. They then take those names and e-mail addresses and try to match them up with FB users and when they do match up that person is listed as somebody you may want to be friends with. Kind of creepy to see your realtor or mortgage broker show up as somebody you may want to friend.

Kind of creepy to see your realtor or mortgage broker show up as somebody you may want to friend.

Tell me about it. One of the property managers I used to rent from keeps showing up in my "are they your friend" list to the right on FB. Dysporia emailed me a couple weeks ago and said they are getting ready to "flip the switch". To say I am eagerly waiting is an understatement.

"Hell is other people", and guess who's on Facebook? I can waste time in much better ways.

Back