Netflix-DreamWorks Deal is More Spin Than Win

HardOCP News

[H] News
The big "win" for Netflix? The company will be adding more content to its streaming service after making a deal with DreamWorks. The bad news? This deal doesn't take place until sometime in 2013. :(

This brings us to the part of the agreement that really makes the Times' story so puzzling. Tucked down into the piece is this nugget: Netflix won't start distributing DreamsWorks titles until 2013. That's more than a year away, and even then it's unclear how many films and TV shows Netflix will receive. I think it's fair to say that Netflix is in trouble with subscribers, and managers need to bolster their streaming library in a significant way sooner rather than later.

I've been a die hard fan of Netflix but recently the changes have been putting me off. Still subscribe but if the streaming selection continues to dry up it might be time to cancel.

I think Netflix is realising the massive whole they have dug themselves into over the last few months. They are pulling out everything in their arsenal to try to intice interest and save whats left.

An announcement for more media is great, the fact that it's more than a year before it will be available is pathetic.

Comming in 2013, Shrek, Shrek 2, Shrek 3/3D. Yeah, no thanks!

Shrek is already available in Netflix's DVD and Blu-ray service. Not sure why you're dissing Shrek anyways. They're all pretty funny.

I still haven't seen very much from their "Netflix original movies". Only seen 1 of them, I believe Reed Fish or Reel Fish. Whatever it's called. It was an okay movie.

What the fuck is going on with Netflix? ... seriously, I've never seen a company drop so fast from being an industry revolutionary to a has been.

netflix said they wanted to focus on streaming, and then spun off their DVD distribution into another company. now they are dragging their feet at getting new content for their streaming service? amazon and others are about to enter the video streaming circle shortly. if netflix cant solidify their headstart before that, they might not even live long enough to offer dreamworks content.

this whole netflix drama is as rediculous as HP, the worlds largest PC maker, saying they are exiting the PC business. if you are trying to shoot yourself, aim for the head, its much less painful than the foot.

I think Netflix could stream Reed Hastings turning water into wine and people would bitch right now. /hyperbole.

Seriously though, everyone was in love with Netflix when they were a disruptor to the industry that the industry did not take seriously. They got some sweetheart deals from the studios basically because the studios never thought they would make it off the ground. We have been enjoying that cheap content for a few years and those contracts are ending. Now Netflix must become part of the entertainment industry in which they are a REALLY SMALL part comparatively speaking.

I don't know what people expect Netflix to be able to do right now. Most studios want Netflix out of business and are going to do whatever they can to make that happen. So short of Netflix streaming shows they don't have licencing for, I don't know what they are expected to do. The reason this deal wont bear fruit until 2013 is because that is how long the exclusive rights are already held by HBO. Netflix isn't just magically waiting until 2013 because they want to make sure you have watched all the episodes of "30 Rock" or something.

Everyone is getting all pissy with Netflix when their content costs with studios are going through the roof.

I know. I just said DVD/Blu-ray. I'm still not sure why anyone would not like Shrek though.

How can you say no to this? http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_kw_6C3Wxzik/TAtNBrZtTGI/AAAAAAAAABE/JIHQx2_Ksyw/s1600/Puss+in+boots.png

Are you seriously that dense? He is making fun of the fact that it's going to take over two years for a decade old movie to be streamed. Netflix is most likely doing away with it's DVD service and provide only streaming. Sheesh man think a little.

. I'm still not sure why anyone would not like Shrek though.

why do some people not like pizza?
why do some people believe in god?
why do some people like horror movies?
why are some people lazy, while others like to work?

tell me you arent one of the people who think that, because you like or believe in something, that everyone else, then, must also feel the same way.

Are you seriously that dense? He is making fun of the fact that it's going to take over two years for a decade old movie to be streamed. Netflix is most likely doing away with it's DVD service and provide only streaming. Sheesh man think a little.

Wow holy shit, a fucking mind reader!

Sorry but that's not how I read his thread. But I'm glad you can read other people's mind. That's fucking awesome.

Try and read my mind right now.

Trying to bring their stock up.... lol wow

Sadly, the investor puppets that watch Jim Cramer (who admits to lying and BS people) will believe him today and buy up like suckers.

What the fuck is going on with Netflix? ... seriously, I've never seen a company drop so fast from being an industry revolutionary to a has been.

Delusional people with lots of money. That's what happened. Well said, though!

If they don't increase their content and fast I agree they will either be gone or irrelevant. The stupid thing is that it's the studios that are really screwing themselves here. One way or the other the movies are going to be gotten over peoples internet connections. If the studios were smart they'd be making sure it's through a service that they actually get money from and can negotiate licensing contracts with. It just amazes me how short sighted they are.

If they don't increase their content and fast I agree they will either be gone or irrelevant. The stupid thing is that it's the studios that are really screwing themselves here. One way or the other the movies are going to be gotten over peoples internet connections. If the studios were smart they'd be making sure it's through a service that they actually get money from and can negotiate licensing contracts with. It just amazes me how short sighted they are.

That's a smart idea.... the "we hate people who pirate" companies are always late to the game. If they would only spend some of that HUGE PROFIT on a few tech guys, they could actually be in the loop before its bites them in the ass..... no, they would rather pay 10 times the amount to some douche lawyer to sue kids and their parents.

Can't really blame Netflix for it's content. They are paying as much as they can afford for new content. fuck these greedy studios

I wished Netflix had a premium service. Pay $20 a month and get new releases on day 1 ready to stream. And for the rest of the population, it's still 8 dollars but with a delay in releases.

I usually just rent from Amazon over my Tivo for new releases. I don't buy much any more.

The only new-release that hasn't hit day-date for a long time has been the new X-Men, which hits tomorrow I think.

I wished Netflix had a premium service. Pay $20 a month and get new releases on day 1 ready to stream. And for the rest of the population, it's still 8 dollars but with a delay in releases.

I agree with this sentiment. I am not sure if $20 would cover the costs involved, but maybe $20 for newish releases. I'd be willing to wait the silly 28 day delay for streaming also, and I think $20 a month would be pretty easy to swallow also. If you cut cable, this would be a great way to keep the entertainment flowing.

I would also pay up to $20 for Netflix if they could secure some more/newer content. I was hoping Dish's streaming service would offer a streaming only plan.

If Netflix offered a premium plan with say HBO or Cinemax content I would probably bite.

NICE how they "dug" into this story but didnt on all the ones about the price increase and what Netflix will be paying (in not 2013 like this story but just 6 months form now).. Selective news, selective .. is this the FOX news of gaming sites?

It's going to be sad when the Studios won't let Netflix stream newer content like we all want, and instead open their own streaming services with that content. Since each Studio will probably do this on their own, it will be like 6 or 10 different streaming services all charging $15 a month.

Which will lead to an increase in piracy.

This will happen because it is the one thing that could cause more piracy, and the Studios are batting a thousand in terms of increasing piracy.

why even put out a press release out now thats more than a year away lol

so many things can change till now and then, well i guess they are trying for any good buzz atm will all of the bad dvd and online streaming buzz they have been geting but still lol

I loved netflix. great business plan and amazing product. the obstacle as I see it is a closed media system. the isp's (Comcast, at&t, Verizon , twc) are all in content distribution . with close ties and profits to studios it is truly wonderful netflix made it this far. perhaps it wasnt noticed or taken as a serious threat before. either way I see it being squeezed out so to kill a competitor and keep prices insanly high. with the death of net neutrality isp's can shut out the masses from any "alternatives" and further raise prices. netflix will die like a threat to Stalin in soviet Russia.

I hope netflix will stay for free market reasons alone but doubt it deeply. please prove my cynical heart wrong for once world.

I was buying some things from Amazon and decided to try the Amazon prime trial to get free shipping and see what their streaming was all about. While it was a nightmare to get it to work with my TV (the menu navigation is slow, but that is the player running on my Samsung TV, not Amazon), the quality was fantastic and the selection was decent.

On top of that -- it looks like they just signed a deal with fox to get more content:
http://www.amazon.com

Dear Customer,

I have big news for Amazon Prime members - we've just signed a deal with FOX to add a broad selection of movies and TV shows to our unlimited instant streaming service later this fall. The new additions from the FOX library include 24, Arrested Development, The X-Files, Ally McBeal, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and - available on digital video for the first time - The Wonder Years. We now have deals with CBS, NBCUniversal, Sony, and Warner Bros, and adding FOX will bring the total to more than 11,000 movies and TV shows available for unlimited instant streaming.

Since launching earlier this year, we have now doubled the number of titles available in Prime instant videos, and there's still more to come. Prime membership remains $79 a year, and of course features our unlimited free two-day shipping on millions of products. Prime is one of the best values anywhere.

Prime instant videos can be played on more than 300 HDTVs, Blu-ray players, and set-top boxes.

Seems to me that Amazon is a better value. I found a lot of stuff that I wanted to watch on Amazon streaming, plus it's cheaper than Netflix *AND* I get free shipping on everything sold or serviced by Amazon.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Amazon needs to sign with quite a few more content providers before it's close to Netflix value. And Amazon Instant Video has almost no mobile device support, unlike Netflix which has apps for three of the four major mobile OS players.

why even put out a press release out now thats more than a year away lol

so many things can change till now and then, well i guess they are trying for any good buzz atm will all of the bad dvd and online streaming buzz they have been geting but still lol

To counter some of the bad press they've been getting lately. And let's face it, most people won't notice the fact that customers will not benefit from this deal until 2013.

Amazon needs to sign with quite a few more content providers before it's close to Netflix value. And Amazon Instant Video has almost no mobile device support, unlike Netflix which has apps for three of the four major mobile OS players.

Amazon Prime is of greater value if you use it for both online purchases, music, and movies. The selection is not as good as Netflix yet, but the overall value of Prime membership is greater. Luckily, they seem to be getting new content every few weeks.

I think Netflix could stream Reed Hastings turning water into wine and people would bitch right now. /hyperbole.

Seriously though, everyone was in love with Netflix when they were a disruptor to the industry that the industry did not take seriously. They got some sweetheart deals from the studios basically because the studios never thought they would make it off the ground. We have been enjoying that cheap content for a few years and those contracts are ending. Now Netflix must become part of the entertainment industry in which they are a REALLY SMALL part comparatively speaking.

I don't know what people expect Netflix to be able to do right now. Most studios want Netflix out of business and are going to do whatever they can to make that happen. So short of Netflix streaming shows they don't have licencing for, I don't know what they are expected to do. The reason this deal wont bear fruit until 2013 is because that is how long the exclusive rights are already held by HBO. Netflix isn't just magically waiting until 2013 because they want to make sure you have watched all the episodes of "30 Rock" or something.

Everyone is getting all pissy with Netflix when their content costs with studios are going through the roof.

Glad to see at least one other person understand this.

I agree with this sentiment. I am not sure if $20 would cover the costs involved, but maybe $20 for newish releases. I'd be willing to wait the silly 28 day delay for streaming also, and I think $20 a month would be pretty easy to swallow also. If you cut cable, this would be a great way to keep the entertainment flowing.

it would need to be much more than $20 for that to happen.

I would also pay up to $20 for Netflix if they could secure some more/newer content. I was hoping Dish's streaming service would offer a streaming only plan.

If Netflix offered a premium plan with say HBO or Cinemax content I would probably bite.

do you not recall HBOs stance on this? they said that they would need $13 per customer per month from Netflix for them to even consider letting them access their collection. So take your $20 and make it about $40 - $50 and you might see HBO and Cinemax content on there.

I'm tempted to cancel my netflix account, save up for a roku player and use that + amazon prime. Amazon just signed a deal for fox and previously signed a deal with CBS. Already paying for amazon might as well use it right?

Also gonna start using crackle.com and hopefully blockbuster soon.

Seems to me that Amazon is a better value. I found a lot of stuff that I wanted to watch on Amazon streaming, plus it's cheaper than Netflix *AND* I get free shipping on everything sold or serviced by Amazon.

And it's not using that Play Ready BS from MS. So you'll see it integrated in ATV and XBMC far quicker than Netflix was.

This might be slightly off topic but it is very Netflix related. Does anyone think lack of piracy is what is hurting Netflix here?

If you think about it, when iTunes was launched it seemed like everyone was downloading tons of songs, burning CDs, getting albums early. You went from buying a few CDs a month to MAYBE getting one a year legitimately. Napster/Limewire/Kazza made it just stupid easy to share and download. When iTunes showed up, none of the music labels wanted to join in, but iPods were already getting stuffed full of music, and they had no choice but to be drug kicking and screaming into online distribution.

Fast forward a few years and Netflix doesn't have that ace up their sleeve that Apple had with iTunes. For the most part people don't use as many of those simple programs, and torrenting is the way to go. But the barrier to entry on torrenting isn't quite as low as Napster was. As much as they like to cry foul all the time, there isn't nearly the threat from piracy with movies as there was with music. Netflix can't as easily say, "Hey, they are going to watch your movie for free if you don't sign, do you want to collect some money or no?

That is not to say I think we need to start pirating movies left and right to put this pressure on the studios, but its just a thought. Am I off base on this?

Back