U.S. Internet Rules to Take Effect November 20

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
On Friday, the FCC published the new rules of the internet, commonly known as Net Neutrality, in the Federal Register. The set of laws define consumer and Internet service provider’s rights, responsibilities and limitations. The new laws are set to take effect on November 20th, pending promised legal appeals.

The rules, adopted last December in a 3-2 vote, give the FCC power to ensure consumer access to huge movie files and other content while allowing Internet service providers to manage their networks to prevent congestion.

Really good bullet point:

But public interest groups criticized the rules as too weak, saying the FCC bent heavily to the will of big industry players including AT&T Inc and Comcast.

Matt Wood, policy director of public interest group Free Press, said broadband providers will be able to divide the Internet into "fast and slow lanes" and that the rules fail to protect mobile broadband users.

So they (Internet providers) can't block stuff we want to see by law, but they can limit our data usage, and data speeds any way they want? :confused:

Lose, Lose for everyone involved (the people, and the greey companies).... nobody got what they wanted, only a part of it, which only cripples the innovation and "unlimitness" the internet body once had.

yup

classic politics in the US, voters get f'ed because we dont have millions to lobby with. even the big lobbyists get outbid by the big firms

there are the same aholes that let comcast buy tv stations so they are both a carrier provider and producer

Well, there is always municipal broadband. Just need to convince most everyone in the area you live in to make it happen is all.

Really good bullet point:

So they (Internet providers) can't block stuff we want to see by law, but they can limit our data usage, and data speeds any way they want? :confused:

Lose, Lose for everyone involved (the people, and the greey companies).... nobody got what they wanted, only a part of it, which only cripples the innovation and "unlimitness" the internet body once had.

Considering how much AT&T "donates" to political campaigns is it really at all surprising? I mean hell they "donated" almost a million dollars to all but one of the 117 congress members supporting their T-Mo buy-out.

What could go wrong? :rolleyes:

Lets see ;)

Well, we all purchase a service at a supposed rated speed. Doesn't seem to matter anymore as that speed is now subjective to the isp. We don't really want too fast of a connection anyways because of the bandwidth caps.

I say we all go back to dial-up and make AOL our new saviour. :rolleyes:

Seriously though. Every single time I read about Comcast and Att using net neutrality as a contract for themselves and having it not do a damned thing for the US citizen but hurt us. I just want to start my own ISP lay my own f-ing lines in the ground and connect the entire US the way it should be. Maintained and upgraded on a regular basis and as a company that would at least try to listen to it's customers.

But that's another story in my little perfect world.

Ya, lets not spend money this year on infrastructure, the shareholders need pay back on their investment, so we'll just manage the congestion. By that we need to do some data inspection, ip blocking, etc, line management for all those torrent hogs.Keep the caps low and charge accordingly for overages. Since we own and control the media that goes across our cables, we have to put the pressure on companies like Netflix to charge more or they can go out of business as far as we care.By George, we got what we wanted, now what did the consumer get out of these changes. We can also do what Bell is doing in Canada, when people use the internet to watch certain specialty channels, we can have a message come up that says"We are experiencing technical difficulties, please keep trying" for the last month and a half. If your not going to pay for cable don't expect these channels free anymore. We are working on a pay per channel system for the internet sometime in the future.

yup

classic politics in the US, voters get f'ed because we dont have millions to lobby with. even the big lobbyists get outbid by the big firms

there are the same aholes that let comcast buy tv stations so they are both a carrier provider and producer

And if the FCC were to step up and take control away from the Comcast's and ATT's, 9/10 of this forum would be up in arms about too much government, libertarianism, rah rah rah!

And if the FCC were to step up and take control away from the Comcast's and ATT's, 9/10 of this forum would be up in arms about too much government, libertarianism, rah rah rah!

If they tried ATT would just "donate" money to a bunch of congress people and get them to vote to remove FCC's power to do it.

Donate, lobby, influence, pay off, bribe, etc... it's all the same thing to "them" by "they" will call it donations for law-sake.

... The set of laws ...

The FCC does not make laws, it issues rules and regulations based on its authority as granted by congress. Only congress can make laws.

Other than that, as announced this is pretty much useless. Companies should not be able to sell a product (bandwidth) they don't really have and then make it up by throttling legitimate traffic.

So we all know what shenanigans that corporations and government pull to get over on us. My question is, what can we do about it?

Well as long as the supreme court ruling that money = speech stands we will never have a country of the people, by the people, for the people.

Well, there is always municipal broadband. Just need to convince most everyone in the area you live in to make it happen is all.

They will just donated 10,000 dollars or so to a few campaigns and lobby to have municipal broadband projects outlawed.

Bottom line: what is best for American multinational corporations is not necessarily best for the American people.

The FCC does not make laws, it issues rules and regulations based on its authority as granted by congress. Only congress can make laws.

Other than that, as announced this is pretty much useless. Companies should not be able to sell a product (bandwidth) they don't really have and then make it up by throttling legitimate traffic.
Same thing, only different.

Curious, will ISP's start throttling VPN connections and other encrypted ports / protocols?

i know Rogers Canada at one point was seriously speed throttling RDC connections about 2 years back.

Ahhh... America's democratic political system at its finest. glad to see the people still have a voice in the greatest free nation on earth.

Back